Author Topic: We are currently the 4th worst team in all of baseball.  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Expos

The World Series hangover has been brutal!!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Its not a hangover. It's the cold hard reality of fielding an old team.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
How many teams get a lottery shot at the top draft pick ?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
We’re only 4th worst?

Offline HalfSmokes

Race for number 1- what’s Bergman up to these days, he’s the kind of late season addition we need to put us over the top

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
We’re only 4th worst?

Angels, Red Sox and Pirates are currently worse.

Offline Slateman

How many teams get a lottery shot at the top draft pick ?
Theres no lottery in baseball

Offline Natsinpwc

Just go 0-1 today

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Draft is probably going to be based off last year's and this year's records put together.  I bet we end up with something in the 8-12 range.

Offline Duke of Earl

Draft is probably going to be based off last year's and this year's records put together.
Huh? Where did that come from?  There's already been a 2020 draft based on 2019.

Offline UMDNats

Gotta find a way to get Rocker.

Offline tomwvr

Has any team ever won the World Series and then finish up the next season as the worst team in baseball.

Offline ajcartwright

twenty-seven left
just gotta live thru the suck
still - WORLD CHAMPIONS

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Huh? Where did that come from?  There's already been a 2020 draft based on 2019.

https://prospectinsider.com/2021-mlb-draft-order-the-race-for-no-1/

Draft order could be funky.  I just remember what I had said previously being mentioned a while back.

Offline Slateman

Has any team ever won the World Series and then finish up the next season as the worst team in baseball.

Yes. 97 Marlins were the worst team in 1998.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
at this point it would not have mattered if we resigned rendon. Our pitching fell off a cliff and I knew giving Strasburg all that money would bite us in the ass. But lets not kid ourselves...nobody here expected a BACK2BACK performance. The team just is depleted of young talent outside of a few guys and almost all of our pitchers are near or above 30. No future there.

Offline Slateman

at this point it would not have mattered if we resigned rendon. Our pitching fell off a cliff and I knew giving Strasburg all that money would bite us in the ass. But lets not kid ourselves...nobody here expected a BACK2BACK performance. The team just is depleted of young talent outside of a few guys and almost all of our pitchers are near or above 30. No future there.

Devil's advocate: If we had re-signed Rendon, we would have traded Kieboom for a starting pitcher

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
2012 -2014 Red Sox achieved something similar on a divisional level, but did it twice (worst/first [WS]/wurst)
Yes. 97 Marlins were the worst team in 1998.

Offline UMDNats

Devil's advocate: If we had re-signed Rendon, we would have traded Kieboom for a starting pitcher

i'm skeptical of what value kieboom really has/had

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Ditto. The guy looked way over his head from the get-go.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Old team with lots of injury risks. High risk, high reward. We saw the reward last season.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

It's less now than it was a year ago because there weren't really concerns about the bat before.  But he's still a legitimate prospect.  He's 22.  If he were a college draftee, he'd be in his first full professional season and - even in normal times - he'd be no higher than AA.   As it is, he's hit at every level below MLB and done so at young-for-level ages.  There are not many 21-year-olds in AAA, and even fewer of them OPSing .900.

For comparison, in his age 22 season, Trea Turner (a college guy in his first full professional season) came up in August after starting the year at AA and hit .225/.295/.325 in 44 PAs, which is the same range of struggling that Kieboom had this year.  They held him in the minors until June the next year and he was good to go once he came up. 

This is not the season to expect guys to be able to produce when they're coming back from injuries or stints in the "minors": there's no rehab games or competitive pitching outside of MLB. 

Ditto. The guy looked way over his head from the get-go.

Yes, because scouts and GMs never look at anyone's minor league performance in assessing value of prospects.

Lucas Giolito looked freaked up with the Nats in his first year in the majors.  How's that working out?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Lucas Giolito looked freaked up with the Nats in his first year in the majors.  How's that working out?

From the perspective of winning a World Series - fan-freaking-tastic. Who gives a crap about Giolito's turnaround when Eaton was instrumental in the Nats winning the Series for us.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

From the perspective of winning a World Series - fan-freaking-tastic. Who gives a crap about Giolito's turnaround when Eaton was instrumental in the Nats winning the Series for us.

I didn't ask about that perspective, troll.  I asked how it's working out in objective terms: after a bad start, is he a good player now or not?