Author Topic: One Player You Would Have Wanted To Have Been A Nat  (Read 1220 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Name the one MLB player that, above all others, you wish could have been a Nat... 

You are basing this on their career since 2005 only...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Freddie Freeman, so he would not be a Barve

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

You took my pick...  :D

Offline Count Walewski

I mean, objectively the answer is Mike Trout right? Not only is he the best player in baseball, but his timeline works perfectly with the Nationals: you want somebody who is really good, but only from 2012 to the present, so he doesn't get in the way of the rebuild.

But that's a boring answer. I'll go with whoever was the best closer in baseball in 2012. Craig Kimbrel won the Rolaids Relief Man of the Year award that year. I don't know if Axford was still good, I remember really liking his facial hair.

I don't know how you fix the 2014 team by adding just one player, that was another really good team that lost in the NLDS. Again Trout would have been useful.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I mean, objectively the answer is Mike Trout right? Not only is he the best player in baseball, but his timeline works perfectly with the Nationals: you want somebody who is really good, but only from 2012 to the present, so he doesn't get in the way of the rebuild.

But that's a boring answer. I'll go with whoever was the best closer in baseball in 2012. Craig Kimbrel won the Rolaids Relief Man of the Year award that year. I don't know if Axford was still good, I remember really liking his facial hair.

I don't know how you fix the 2014 team by adding just one player, that was another really good team that lost in the NLDS. Again Trout would have been useful.

Truly, Trout is the "right" answer...AND...we wouldn't have had Drew Storen...so a double whammy there...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Trout is too easy.  Kershaw might also be too easy as well. 

Considering our White Whale obsession, maybe a lower profile guy who would have been great here would have been Brett Gardner.  I don't know if he develops the leadership qualities, but the running and defense, holding down CF until Robles was  ready, a bit of power.

Actually, I'm not sure there are many position players I would have wanted more than Rendon, but that's a different question.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Same pick here.  IIRC, he was available when the Braves were going through their rebuild.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Ronald Acuna

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Christian Yelich.

But Trout, Freeman and Acuna too.

Offline Dave in Fairfax

Everybody likes Trout, but I would argue that the missing piece which separated last year's WS win with earlier playoff shortcomings was Patrick Corbin. Getting a #3 who was a top of the order pitcher, who could fill in as #2 if Strasburg or Scherzer were injured, and who gave you a solid rotation in a short series, made the difference. Gio and Tanner Roark were solid # and #4 starters when they were at the top of their game, but that was their limit. So Kershaw or Verlander or whoever would have been a dominant starter alongside Scherzer and Strasburg.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I reject this 2005 premise. In my alternate reality DC had a team when I was growing up and Ken Griffey, Jr. led them to 3 World Series.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Everybody likes Trout, but I would argue that the missing piece which separated last year's WS win with earlier playoff shortcomings was Patrick Corbin. Getting a #3 who was a top of the order pitcher, who could fill in as #2 if Strasburg or Scherzer were injured, and who gave you a solid rotation in a short series, made the difference. Gio and Tanner Roark were solid # and #4 starters when they were at the top of their game, but that was their limit. So Kershaw or Verlander or whoever would have been a dominant starter alongside Scherzer and Strasburg.

Possibly true, but in the world in which they have Trout, they don't trade for Eaton and so they have Giolito on last year's team.  It's pretty hard to game it all out, but the point about the #3 starter is solid.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Aaron Judge

Online imref

Prince Fielder

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Bump...

Online Natsinpwc

Cole Hamels.  :hysterical:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
We have single-handedly made Freddie Freeman a mountain of cash

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Ichiro would have been nice to have back in the 2006-2012 Nats dark age.

Online imref

We have single-handedly made Freddie Freeman a mountain of cash

it was nice to not see Freeman hit a grand slam against us yesterday.

Online imref

Again, Freddy Freeman.