Author Topic: If you lose a 5-game series to the Marlins  (Read 687 times)

Offline catocony

If you lose a 5-game series to the Marlins
« Topic Start: August 24, 2020, 09:55:22 PM »
I don't think a World Series is in the making.  At least this trainwreck of a pretend season will be over in 6 weeks.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: If you lose a 5-game series to the Marlins
« Reply #1: August 24, 2020, 10:01:46 PM »
The baseball served in this Seasonette™ tastes a lot better than what we had in May, but yeah

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: August 24, 2020, 10:09:39 PM »
Dumb take. We proved last year that just making it into the playoffs gives you a chance. Get there and see what happens.

Offline catocony

« Reply #3: August 25, 2020, 12:34:54 AM »
Dumb take. We proved last year that just making it into the playoffs gives you a chance. Get there and see what happens.
Right now, the Nats are out of the playoffs. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #4: August 25, 2020, 05:36:07 AM »
The Marlins ain't the patsies they've been in the past. They've turned the corner.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #5: August 25, 2020, 06:30:14 AM »
Not with this rotation.  Voth, Fedde, Crowe......

Online Slateman

« Reply #6: August 25, 2020, 08:07:07 AM »
The Marlins rotation is garbage. The Braves have Max Fried and a bunch of similar starters. We're 2.5 games back of a playoff spot

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #7: August 25, 2020, 08:32:49 AM »

well, to be fair, the rotation is currently Scherzer, Corbin, Sanchez, Voth, and Fedde.  Crowe was a DH call-up.

That's not horrible.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #8: August 25, 2020, 08:42:52 AM »
It seems to be the fate of Washington sports champions that the good vibes depart way too soon after the title is won:

The Bullets/Wizards won their only title in 1978, went back to the Finals the following year but haven't made it past the second round since.

The Redskins won Super Bowl XXVI and were a Mark Rypien fumble away from the NFC Championship match the following year...but along came Richie Petitbon's disastrous campaign in 1993, then the dark ages under Norv Turner and the various Snyder hires.

The Washington Freedom won the WUSA title (Founders' Cup) in 2003...then a week or two later the league folded because they blew their entire 5-year budget in 3 years.

DC United in 2004 reached back to their late 90's dominance to win their fourth MLS Cup, but apart from Supporters Shields in 2006 and 2007 (lost Cup each time though) the decade-and-a-half since then has been mostly mediocrity.

The Capitals won the Stanley Cup in 2018, but Leonsis let Trotz go and the Caps have been first-round road kill each of the following years.

The Mystics won their first WNBA title in 2019 but this year, with a decimated roster (no Delle Donne, Tina Charles or Natasha Cloud), they are struggling.

And the Nationals brought a World Series title to DC for the first time in 95 years but now are floundering with iffy pitching and inconsistent offence.

Sic transit gloria mundi...

Online Slateman

« Reply #9: August 25, 2020, 09:56:19 AM »
Nats held on to their good vibes longer than most.

Not sure why everyone is tripping here. A week ago, the Rockies were the number 2 team in the NL West. Now they're under .500.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #10: August 25, 2020, 10:39:44 AM »

Not sure why everyone is tripping here. A week ago, the Rockies were the number 2 team in the NL West. Now they're under .500.
They only held on longer because of the shutdown.

They could still make the playoffs. 538 has them at 47 percent. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #11: August 25, 2020, 10:43:14 AM »

most teams are the same bundle of meh that we are because really it's still the first month of the season (in a 162-game sense) and no one really has had a chance to pull away. this season is so dumb. better than no baseball, at least.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #12: August 25, 2020, 10:44:35 AM »
The baseball served in this Seasonette™ tastes a lot better than what we had in May, but yeah
I'm happy just to have baseball this season.

If we are struggling next June, I'll rage.

Online Slateman

« Reply #13: August 25, 2020, 12:01:44 PM »
Y'all are so negative. NANFs up in this nag

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #14: August 25, 2020, 01:00:56 PM »
I'm in the anything can happen if you make the  playoffs camp.  I just would like to  see them playing better.  This is a team that is supposed  to be able to string good PAs together and score multiple ways - HRs, stringing singles and doubles, running - and I don't think we are seeing that consistently.  But the bigger difference I think is the pitching.  We just aren't winning the games on pitching and just enough offense like we could with the 4 starters last year, especially after Hudson arrived.

Scoring:
13 games, 3 runs or less, with only one win. 
12 games, 5 runs or more, with 3 losses. 
we won our only 4 run game.

Runs allowed:
9 games, 3 runs or less, 3 losses - WTF?
12 games, 5 runs or more allowed, 2 wins. 
5 games, 4 runs allowed, 3-2.

To me, that looks like the pitching bailed us out once and the hitting twice, while the pitching cost us 3 wins and the hitting cost us 3 more. 3-6 when one side or the other didn't perform.

Offline catocony

« Reply #15: September 19, 2020, 11:54:39 PM »
If you lose two 5-game series to the Marlins, it's time to just forfeit all remaining games and go have a beer or 12.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #16: September 20, 2020, 06:12:47 AM »
When we said 'repeat 2019'  I don't think this was quite what we meant...However, after this year I'm just glad to be able to watch the Nats play.