Author Topic: 2020 trade deadline watch  (Read 4649 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Re: 2020 trade deadline watch
« Reply #50: August 23, 2020, 01:38:54 AM »
Corbin, and cash from Franco straight up

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #52: August 23, 2020, 05:18:17 PM »
hmmmm

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/08/trevor-rosenthal-drawing-trade-interest.html
if they pulled the trigger on getting him, at least the only people who could boo him would be his teammates.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #53: August 23, 2020, 07:21:18 PM »
Corbin's contract looks pretty appealing and will only have 4 years left after this year.  What would the Yankees give up for him?

In what world is that contract appealing?  He's owed $106 million ($26.5m/year) over his age 31-35 seasons of an arm that's already had six seasons of starting post-Tommy John.  That's similar to where the Red Sox were in with David Price going into this year (higher AAV, but also lower total money due to one fewer decline year and no TJ in the shadows) and Boston had to attach Mookie Betts and pay half of Price's contract to dump that thing!

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #54: August 23, 2020, 08:06:44 PM »
I mean, going with a strong pen would be a good way to mitigate the loss of Strasburg. And I would love to see Rosenthal back here, succeeding. Everyone raved about him and said how nice he was when he was here.

If you move a piece for Rosenthal that's a nice first step. If Doolittle returns to form, that's another one.

Antuna and Cate for Rosenthal?

Theres also the possibility of adding Duffy. It makes next year's luxury tax threshold iffy, particularly if you want to replace Eaton. But taking that contract maybe gets them to add another reliever like Josh Staumont or Scott Barlow?

Offline Expos

« Reply #55: August 23, 2020, 11:39:13 PM »
hmmmm

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/08/trevor-rosenthal-drawing-trade-interest.html

Add another reliever to the list who sucked here and goes on to light it up.

That must be 20 guys we have let go only to see them have success elsewhere.

Online Slateman

« Reply #56: August 24, 2020, 07:43:17 AM »
Add another reliever to the list who sucked here and goes on to light it up.

That must be 20 guys we have let go only to see them have success elsewhere.
Rosenthal was bad in Detroit after he left here too.

Control and command are the last things to come back after TJS. Maybe the Royals whispered to him, but it's obvious the time off helped him immensely.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #57: August 24, 2020, 11:11:40 AM »
Rosenthal was bad in Detroit after he left here too.

Control and command are the last things to come back after TJS. Maybe the Royals whispered to him, but it's obvious the time off helped him immensely.

And people forget that the price the Nats paid for him had that risk baked in.   You don't get a 29-year-old back-end reliever for a 1 year/$7 million contract unless there's some serious risk.  I remember seeing that dude in the playoffs when he was a rookie and thinking he was headed for multiple All-Star teams.   

And as much as he sucked here - which was awful to watch for a lot of reasons - I'm glad he's got it back.  That looked like it might be headed down the Rick Ankiel path for a minute. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #58: August 24, 2020, 11:41:23 AM »
I'm struggling to think of a nats reliever who was worse during his tenure with the team.  He made H-rod look like prime K-rod.  Might have to go back to the pre-2010 years and even then...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59: August 24, 2020, 12:27:10 PM »
I'm struggling to think of a nats reliever who was worse during his tenure with the team.  He made H-rod look like prime K-rod.  Might have to go back to the pre-2010 years and even then...
Barraclough?  Those  were supposed to  be out twin towers taking pressure off Doo while Wander developed into a world beater and Sipp took care of lefties.

Online Slateman

« Reply #60: August 24, 2020, 12:36:22 PM »
Rosenthal was historically bad. Not for the Nats, but in baseball history

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61: August 24, 2020, 12:58:17 PM »
Rosenthal was historically bad. Not for the Nats, but in baseball history
not bad enough to cost us a World Series, so he immediately is better than Storen

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #62: August 24, 2020, 02:08:38 PM »
With the Strasbourg news, I struggle to see why Nats should try to strengthen for the stretch run. I believed a top 3 of Scherzer, Corbin, and Strasburg gave us a good shot in the playoffs, but that is gone.

Online Slateman

« Reply #63: August 24, 2020, 02:21:58 PM »
With the Strasbourg news, I struggle to see why Nats should try to strengthen for the stretch run. I believed a top 3 of Scherzer, Corbin, and Strasburg gave us a good shot in the playoffs, but that is gone.
Because the money is in the playoffs. And with expanded playoffs, we, of all teams, should understand the value of just getting in

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #64: August 24, 2020, 02:24:16 PM »
Brad Lidge?  2012.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #65: August 24, 2020, 02:35:42 PM »
Brad Lidge?  2012.

Lidge was horrible, but Rosenthal literally tied an MLB record for the most consecutive appearances without recording an out.  His ERA with the Nationals was 22.74.  He had three times as many walks as strikeouts.  In 12 appearances, he had only one clean inning.  That makes Lidge and his 9.64 - which deservedly got him DFAed - look like Mo Rivera.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #66: August 25, 2020, 01:19:10 PM »
Didn't he have an ∞ ERA at one point?   

Online Slateman

« Reply #67: August 25, 2020, 03:47:50 PM »
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/nationals/light-stephen-strasburgs-injury-nats-gm-mike-rizzo-says-team-will-be-aggressive-trade

Rizzo says he'll be aggressive. Gotta wonder what that means. Are we talking Garcia or Kieboom for Clevinger type aggressive? Taking on JD Martinez contract?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #68: August 25, 2020, 03:53:12 PM »
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/nationals/light-stephen-strasburgs-injury-nats-gm-mike-rizzo-says-team-will-be-aggressive-trade

Rizzo says he'll be aggressive. Gotta wonder what that means. Are we talking Garcia or Kieboom for Clevinger type aggressive? Taking on JD Martinez contract?

i'd guess a starter

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #69: August 25, 2020, 04:06:19 PM »
i'd guess a starter
It’s all just talk. No GM says what he means. And there are likely to be fewer sellers this year. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70: August 25, 2020, 05:08:32 PM »
You wonder whether Garcia being ready, Cabrera under contract this year to play 3d, and Castro next year, whether all of a sudden Kieboom is tradeable for a keys to the kingdom kind of fix to this roster.  I'm not sure what that sort of fix would be. Bauer?  I am not sure I'd do that.

Online Slateman

« Reply #71: August 25, 2020, 05:25:20 PM »
You wonder whether Garcia being ready, Cabrera under contract this year to play 3d, and Castro next year, whether all of a sudden Kieboom is tradeable for a keys to the kingdom kind of fix to this roster.  I'm not sure what that sort of fix would be. Bauer?  I am not sure I'd do that.
Not giving up Kieboom for Bauer. Not without Amir Garrett Castellanos attached. And the Reds are in desperate need for a shortstop and they basically have Kieboom in Senzel.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #72: August 25, 2020, 05:47:27 PM »

Garcia has to have lapped Carter in the "core" discussion at this point. Crushes the look test and has already been producing. We'll see how he does the rest of the year but so far he's shown a lot more than Kieboom. I'm not sure what his value is at this point, though.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #73: August 25, 2020, 06:04:56 PM »
Does Kieboom have any real pop in terms of power? 16 HRs in the PCL (a hitter's "heaven") isn't impressive. Especially, not for a 3B.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #74: August 25, 2020, 06:46:31 PM »
If they get aggressive and go nuts to make the postseason without Strasburg, I'll be pissed. I know anything is possible, but we barely won the World Series with him.

I'd rather they ship out Cabrera for a couple mid-minor organizational arms and give Garcia and Kieboom as many at bats as possible over the rest of this season. If Kendrick has a good week, I could see a team needing help at DH or 1B wanting him.

Not sure Castro has much value, and he could be a useful utility player next season.

I'd shop Gomes and Suzuki. We don't have much catching depth, but you can always find throw and catch guys behind the plate.