Author Topic: 2020 trade deadline watch  (Read 4369 times)

Offline ajcartwright

Re: 2020 trade deadline watch
« Reply #25: August 15, 2020, 01:45:55 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Slate, you're so silly
that's a clip of Juan Soto
not Michael A Tay....

Oh. I see what you did there

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #26: August 16, 2020, 11:21:17 AM »
What about Mitch Moreland from the Red Sox? Gives the Nats a first base option against RHP. Shouldnt cost more than Wil Crowe.

Maybe even try and swing Matt Barnes as part of the deal

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #27: August 16, 2020, 01:02:18 PM »
The obvious move right now is to bring back Parra.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #28: August 16, 2020, 01:04:44 PM »
Mlb.com suggests Nats top trade bait might be Taylor.
I've stated emphatically that I don't think we should do a trade.  I'll make an exception for Taylor.  There has been a Strikeout Culture infecting this team for ten years.  We are nearly cured.  It started with Desmond. Then Espinosa.  Harper.  We got rid of them, one by one, in each case improving the team by doing so.  The only one remaining is Taylor.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #29: August 16, 2020, 01:38:07 PM »
What about Mitch Moreland from the Red Sox? Gives the Nats a first base option against RHP. Shouldnt cost more than Wil Crowe.

makes sense. Bloom will want a controllable starter, and he's throwing spaghetti at the wall right now.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #30: August 16, 2020, 02:31:14 PM »

We already have Thames under contract for $5M next year so I doubt they go for a 1B upgrade unless it's a big one like bell or JD

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31: August 16, 2020, 03:24:38 PM »
We already have Thames under contract for $5M next year so I doubt they go for a 1B upgrade unless it's a big one like bell or JD
per cot's, it's a $4MM option with a $1MM buyout, so we aren't locked into Thames. Moreland has a $3MM option with a $500K buyout

Offline Slateman

« Reply #32: August 16, 2020, 03:29:17 PM »

Next year is a mutual option for Thames.

Mitch Moreland is a massive upgrade over Thames at this point.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #33: August 16, 2020, 05:19:34 PM »
per cot's, it's a $4MM option with a $1MM buyout, so we aren't locked into Thames. Moreland has a $3MM option with a $500K buyout

Thank God we can dump thames

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34: August 16, 2020, 05:37:45 PM »
Thank God we can dump thames
when you use "dump"and "Thames" in the same sentence, I think of Bruney.

Offline imref

« Reply #35: August 16, 2020, 06:07:30 PM »
Thames and Harrison are pretty awful right now.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36: August 22, 2020, 03:24:51 PM »
With Strasburg down, do the Nats try to trade for another starting pitcher on an expiring contract?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #37: August 22, 2020, 03:55:59 PM »
With Strasburg down, do the Nats try to trade for another starting pitcher on an expiring contract?
Do they? Maybe. But they don't have a lot of money.

Should they? No. They could magically trade for deGrom, and they wouldn't have a better record. This team sucks at offense and it needs another bat, badly

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: August 22, 2020, 05:42:56 PM »
Do they? Maybe. But they don't have a lot of money.

Should they? No. They could magically trade for deGrom, and they wouldn't have a better record. This team sucks at offense and it needs another bat, badly
Howie helps. But you have to get something out of at least a couple more spots in the order on top of SS, LF, &DH. Thames is coming around and Cabby has been good, but some power from Kieboom, contact from Garcia, and Robles getting on more would help

Actually, I'm good with Robles's .351 OBP

Offline Slateman

« Reply #39: August 22, 2020, 06:16:03 PM »
I think they should be sellers. Max has never been as dominant in the postseason as the regular season, and he's clearly not right this season. Corbin is Gio Gonzalez at his best, which isnt reliable in the postseason at all.

Ideally, Doolittle comes off the IL and is lights out. Him and Ascabby might get you something.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40: August 22, 2020, 07:13:22 PM »
I think they should be sellers. Max has never been as dominant in the postseason as the regular season, and he's clearly not right this season. Corbin is Gio Gonzalez at his best, which isnt reliable in the postseason at all.

Ideally, Doolittle comes off the IL and is lights out. Him and Ascabby might get you something.
Its funny with A-Cab.  I can see him the rest of his career signing 1 year contracts with us, and he either sticks or gets traded depending on how we do.

Offline imref

« Reply #41: August 22, 2020, 07:17:02 PM »

Yeah, Corbin was terrible in the post season :spaz:

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #42: August 22, 2020, 07:41:43 PM »

Corbin's contract looks pretty appealing and will only have 4 years left after this year.  What would the Yankees give up for him?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #43: August 22, 2020, 08:15:42 PM »
Corbin's contract looks pretty appealing and will only have 4 years left after this year.  What would the Yankees give up for him?
If you give up Corbin, you're punting the next few years

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #44: August 22, 2020, 09:14:51 PM »

I know this board has a bunch of people whose shtick is being disagreeable or trying to get a rise  out of people, but this is freaking stupid and you’re smart enough to know as much. We just won a World Series where Corbin served as a starter and a key reliever, including in Game 7.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #45: August 22, 2020, 09:31:19 PM »
I know this board has a bunch of people whose shtick is being disagreeable or trying to get a rise  out of people, but this is freaking stupid and you’re smart enough to know as much. We just won a World Series where Corbin served as a starter and a key reliever, including in Game 7.
ERA over 5. In the one game he started and won, he couldn't get into the 6th inning.

Sorry dude, Corbin has a really nice Game 7 and that was about it. He would have to do a LOT better for the Nats to have postseason success.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #46: August 22, 2020, 09:48:22 PM »
ERA over 5. In the one game he started and won, he couldn't get into the 6th inning.

Sorry dude, Corbin has a really nice Game 7 and that was about it. He would have to do a LOT better for the Nats to have postseason success.
They would not have made the playoffs without his regular season last year.  Had a fine season.  Only a fool would not know that. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #47: August 22, 2020, 09:49:49 PM »
They would not have made the playoffs without his regular season last year.  Had a fine season.  Only a fool would not know that. 

Lance Lynn was available in free agency. We make the postseason with Lance Lynn instead of Corbin.

Oh and we were specifically talking about postseason performance. Of which, Corbin was pretty poor, outside of the four innings in Game 7.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #48: August 22, 2020, 09:50:49 PM »
Lance Lynn was available in free agency. We make the postseason with Lance Lynn instead of Corbin.

Oh and we were specifically talking about postseason performance. Of which, Corbin was pretty poor, outside of the four innings in Game 7.
Sure. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #49: August 22, 2020, 09:55:03 PM »