Author Topic: 2020 Bullpen  (Read 4370 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: 2020 Bullpen
« Reply #25: July 30, 2020, 12:57:30 PM »
This seems like a pretty likely explanation. I am not sure why masks are so awful for some folks. It's way too many people to write it off as folks being ignorant or paranoid. I have to think that for a decent chunk of people, they are just absolutely intolerable. For me, once it's on and in place, the only time I notice it is if my glasses steam up past the bifocal part to my distance vision area. That's pretty rare and pinching the mask at the bridge of my nose fixes it.
we can shift the mask discussion because it is a side track but for me, it really does get warm and I do find at least one set of masks (3 layer0 can be tough to breathe through if I keep them on when I do a walk of 20 minutes or so.  I use those when I'm going indoors (CVS, grocery, or medical appointment) because I figure they are a little better than my more comfortable 2 layer masks.  So I'm not going to say it's nothing, and I do  slip it off when I think I'm not going to be too near anyone, but I do make it a point to wear it when I'm indoors or anticipate enecountering a lot of people.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #26: August 05, 2020, 11:58:38 PM »
Doolittle still throwing weaksauce

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #27: August 06, 2020, 12:26:27 AM »

we've come a long way from when he was the only reliable arm in the bullpen, hopefully he can turn it around.

Offline sec 131

« Reply #28: August 06, 2020, 12:04:57 PM »
It's not just his arm speed, his command is way off. Last 2 times out he's walked the leadoff batter....the kiss of death for a reliever. If he's "working his way back" as FP surmised, there's no way be should be brought in with the game on the line.

Online imref

Re: Blow it Up (2020)
« Reply #29: August 09, 2020, 09:36:53 AM »
Doolittle deactivated his Twitter after getting a ton of hate tweets. What the heck is wrong with people?

Offline wj73

Re: Re: Blow it Up (2020)
« Reply #30: August 09, 2020, 10:21:03 AM »
Doolittle deactivated his Twitter after getting a ton of hate tweets. What the heck is wrong with people?

That’s sad. He had a very erudite, thoughtful, and occasionally funny feed, especially when interacting with his wife. I’ve noticed her feed has been quiet lately too.  :'(

Offline hotshot

« Reply #31: August 09, 2020, 12:35:51 PM »
He's reaching Chad Cordero closer velocity.

Online Slateman

« Reply #32: August 09, 2020, 01:01:21 PM »
It's not just his arm speed, his command is way off. Last 2 times out he's walked the leadoff batter....the kiss of death for a reliever. If he's "working his way back" as FP surmised, there's no way be should be brought in with the game on the line.

Hes never had command. He just threw 95+ with deception. Now he doesnt.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #33: August 09, 2020, 09:47:16 PM »

I'm going to be careful here, but there was a subset of people, a certain type of people with...certain beliefs, who especially wanted to see him fail and have resented Doolittle for a while.

Offline GataNats

« Reply #34: August 09, 2020, 11:24:44 PM »
No need for you to be careful.  Those that wanted him to fail love the confederate flag. 

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #35: August 09, 2020, 11:59:45 PM »
No need for you to be careful.  Those that wanted him to fail love the confederate flag.
it is what it is.

Online Slateman

« Reply #36: August 10, 2020, 07:22:54 AM »
I'm going to be careful here, but there was a subset of people, a certain type of people with...certain beliefs, who especially wanted to see him fail and have resented Doolittle for a while.

Yep. Just like there is a subset of people who desperately want this season to blow up in MLB's face. Or wanted Suzuki to fail after his MAGA hat and Trump hug.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #37: August 10, 2020, 07:49:09 AM »
Yep. Just like there is a subset of people who desperately want this season to blow up in MLB's face. Or wanted Suzuki to fail after his MAGA hat and Trump hug.
I still love Suzuki.  Even if he lacks taste. People in general take everything too seriously nowadays.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #38: August 10, 2020, 07:52:06 AM »
I don’t want Kurt to fail, I feel bad for him. I hadn’t known he was so stupid, and his stupidity was badly exposed.

Online imref

« Reply #39: August 10, 2020, 08:14:03 AM »
I don't think the Doolittle-hate is driven by his politics as much as it's driven by idiotic fans. Consider what the Zimmerman threads have been on here the last few years with several posters pretty much cheering for him to fail.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #40: August 10, 2020, 09:49:19 AM »
I don't think the Doolittle-hate is driven by his politics as much as it's driven by idiotic fans. Consider what the Zimmerman threads have been on here the last few years with several posters pretty much cheering for him to fail.

What have you done for me lately. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #41: August 10, 2020, 09:52:19 AM »
I do get the point that a facet of team talk around this town devolves a bit into politics or politics projection onto teams and players.  As long as this doesn't blow up into a full scale political discussion here, I'll let it ride.  I hate to return to the "both sides" language, but there's "wish to fail" / looking for an excuse to criticize from all directions at times.  Unfortunate for Doo, it's his turn to get it now.  I'm not sure it'll help him find 4 MPH on his fastball, which is what he needs more. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #42: August 10, 2020, 10:03:21 AM »
What have you done for me lately. 
Especially when it comes to relievers.

Online Slateman

« Reply #43: August 10, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »
I do get the point that a facet of team talk around this town devolves a bit into politics or politics projection onto teams and players.  As long as this doesn't blow up into a full scale political discussion here, I'll let it ride.  I hate to return to the "both sides" language, but there's "wish to fail" / looking for an excuse to criticize from all directions at times.  Unfortunate for Doo, it's his turn to get it now.  I'm not sure it'll help him find 4 MPH on his fastball, which is what he needs more. 

They need to IL him and get him evaluated. If this were April, I'd understand it. But he had 9 months off to rest. Guys dont just lose 4+ mph on their fastball.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #44: August 10, 2020, 01:02:59 PM »
Nobody seems to recall, Doolittle had a prolonged dead-arm problem last season, if that's what it was, and that's likely what's going on with him now.  He came back strong as ever. I'm not worried about him.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #45: August 10, 2020, 01:08:47 PM »
Nobody seems to recall, Doolittle had a prolonged dead-arm problem last season, if that's what it was, and that's likely what's going on with him now.  He came back strong as ever. I'm not worried about him.

this season is a farce anyways. our chances to repeat hinged on journeymen being good (mixed results), robles taking a step (not happening), turner and eaton remaining good (not happening). doolittle is just one of many problems.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #46: August 10, 2020, 01:28:02 PM »

It occurs when persons with some degree of notoriety, from vocations other than politics , use their celebratory to express their personal views .

Online Slateman

« Reply #47: August 10, 2020, 02:23:30 PM »
His slowest fastball last season is basically what his average is now. He has no reason to have dead arm after 9 months off. He hasnt done anything to get fatigued.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #48: August 10, 2020, 02:24:52 PM »
His slowest fastball last season is basically what his average is now. He has no reason to have dead arm after 9 months off. He hasnt done anything to get fatigued.

sometimes relievers just end up dead overnight. doo isn't the first or last reliever to show some cracks, rebound, then just fall off completely. he's probably cooked, best case he's a middle of the pen guy.

Online Slateman

« Reply #49: August 10, 2020, 02:30:12 PM »
sometimes relievers just end up dead overnight. doo isn't the first or last reliever to show some cracks, rebound, then just fall off completely. he's probably cooked, best case he's a middle of the pen guy.
Which relievers came into a season with dead arm? Dead arm is a fancy way of saying fatigue. That's all. Doolittle has nothing to be fatigued over because he hasnt done anything for 9 months. He threw 17 innings the last two months of the season.

He isnt anything in his current state. He is throwing batting practice. Put him on the IL, let him work out his crap away from the team. But as it stands, he can't locate. He cant throw hard. And hes trying to develop secondary pitches in real games. He isnt a long term piece here in DC, so let him get better and ready for what amounts to a free agency try out.