Author Topic: Around the League (2020)  (Read 6025 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Around the League (2020)
« Reply #100: August 22, 2020, 01:53:27 PM »
This is what you get when you hire Dombrowski. Sox fans should be happy they are not Detroit and have to go thru all this pain without the pleasure of having won a title.
yah, never a fan of his.  I think Cherington maybe was a little too much of a prospect hoarder, but Dombo simply traded the hoard and then spent a ton of his bosses money.  I'm guessing Henry is more addicted to the Liverpool method of finding value but still spending rather than overspending. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/04/revisiting-dave-dombrowskis-red-sox-trades.html

The Kimbrel deal (for Margot, Assuaje, a SS Javy Guerra who I think was the #2 piece, and Logan Allen) is one that epitomizes his approach.  That's a high price, but Kimbrel was key to a WS team's regular season and a couple more playoff teams for them. Eovaldi for Beeks looks like another high but right price deal, especially if the deal Eovaldi or he is healthy for them the next couple of years. 

Pomeranz for Anderson Espinosa looked to be the worst deal but Espinosa got hurt. TINSTAAPP.  Meanwhile, Pomeranz has been a sometimes stud since.  Dombo kind of made up for that steal with Tyler Thornburg for Travis Shaw, Mauricio Dubon, and another piece. 

They won a world series with Sale, and he helped some (but not Sale peak level) in the post-season that year, but the price was still extremely high - Moncada, Kopech, and a couple of other pieces.  Kopech looks like a bad apple in addition to his injuries, so maybe DD read his character right.  He had Devers and Bogaerts, too, so Moncada was I guess not as important to the Red Sox as to another team.  Still, I'll say this was an overpay that stripped the system. IIRC, this was the deal where Sale beat out Rizzo, which is how we ended up with Eaton. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101: August 22, 2020, 02:03:47 PM »
How many seasons as a starter has Eovaldi been both healthy and decent?

The answer tells you why his contract is every bit as bad as Price's.
Oh, I don't disagree too much.  At 4 years, $68MM, and his health history, it was horrendous.  Now, with 2 years left, plus in decent health down the stretch for a contender, it is movable, not for a stud, but maybe a prospect outside the top 100.  Sox could even send a bit of cash now that they are out of tax territory.  The gamble is mostly health, and he's healthy now.   That's better than going into next year hurting.  You take a hard look at his x-rays, and if you think you can get a stretch run, next year, and maybe 2022, he's not a ridiculous pick up for a guy who only has a 50% chance of being an MLB contributor (TINSTAAPP). Seriously, do you think he's avoid at all cost, white elephant?   

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #102: August 22, 2020, 02:11:49 PM »
Oh, I don't disagree too much.  At 4 years, $68MM, and his health history, it was horrendous.  Now, with 2 years left, plus in decent health down the stretch for a contender, it is movable, not for a stud, but maybe a prospect outside the top 100.  Sox could even send a bit of cash now that they are out of tax territory.  The gamble is mostly health, and he's healthy now.   That's better than going into next year hurting.  You take a hard look at his x-rays, and if you think you can get a stretch run, next year, and maybe 2022, he's not a ridiculous pick up for a guy who only has a 50% chance of being an MLB contributor (TINSTAAPP). Seriously, do you think he's avoid at all cost, white elephant?   

Man, I dig your optimism.  $34M for that?  Dude was trash last year, inconsistent this year (SSS, and yeah last start he looked like a horse), and he's on the wrong side of 30 with a history of arm injuries.  Even if he stays "healthy" there's huge performance risk there. 

And yeah, I'd take a pass unless I had a ton of payroll flexibility or the Sox threw in some assets, not just cash.  In order to take that gamble, you need a reasonable belief that he will be both healthy and around league average for this season and two more.  In other words, you're asking for Tanner Roark, but paying him $5 million a year more.   And here's the problem:  Eovaldi is thirty and he has NEVER done that.  Not once has he produced three successive seasons without a stinker, and that's setting aside that he's also never been healthy for three seasons in a row.  You're asking him to do two things he's never accomplished to even get to the level of Tanner Roark, who costs appreciably less. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #103: August 22, 2020, 02:18:29 PM »
Man, I dig your optimism.  $34M for that?  Dude was trash last year, inconsistent this year (SSS, and yeah last start he looked like a horse), and he's on the wrong side of 30 with a history of arm injuries.  Even if he stays "healthy" there's huge performance risk there.
Don’t worry they now have Nick Pivetta. All is well. As some of the Phillies posters have told me he had a good FIP one year.  :hysterical:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104: August 22, 2020, 03:23:36 PM »
Yah, I don't think I pull the deal unless the Sox throw in $10MM over this year and the last 2 years in order to pull the price down to 3d starter levels, but we probably don't see eye to eye on that. 

Having said that, it's probably more of a topic for the clubhouse, but do you see the Nats as pulling a deal for another starter now that Stras is down for the season?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #105: August 22, 2020, 05:23:54 PM »
Yah, I don't think I pull the deal unless the Sox throw in $10MM over this year and the last 2 years in order to pull the price down to 3d starter levels, but we probably don't see eye to eye on that. 

Having said that, it's probably more of a topic for the clubhouse, but do you see the Nats as pulling a deal for another starter now that Stras is down for the season?

You're right that that wouldn't get me there, but it might work for someone.   

For the Nats, yeah it would be an idea, but I don't see it happening just because this is going to be an extreme seller's market with the early deadline and expanded playoffs.  There are likely to be a lot more buyers than sellers, but probably only for dudes with no more than one year left on their contracts.  I mean, how many guys are there who are on teams already out of it, are reliably decent, and don't have punishing contracts?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106: August 22, 2020, 06:09:51 PM »
I mean, Richard Justice is talking about Dylan Bundy, Taijuan Walker, and Boyd from Detroit as the best pitchers on the market if Bauer isn't moved.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #107: August 23, 2020, 12:13:26 PM »
Hunter Pence DFAd.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #108: August 23, 2020, 08:26:15 PM »
Hunter Pence DFAd.

End of a weird weird era.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #109: August 25, 2020, 10:31:00 PM »
Asterisks have used 8 pitchers tonight in a 7 inning game...and given up 12 runs in the process.

Offline RJ2kWJ

« Reply #110: August 25, 2020, 10:42:23 PM »
Giolito with a no-no.

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #111: August 26, 2020, 12:01:35 AM »
Giolito with a no-no.

Aaaaaanddd props to the Eaton bait

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #112: August 28, 2020, 09:33:05 AM »
So any news today on whether or not games will resume?  I know the NHL plans on starting tomorrow. The NBA has also agreed to start but not sure if it’s today or tomorrow.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #113: August 28, 2020, 09:48:24 AM »
So any news today on whether or not games will resume?  I know the NHL plans on starting tomorrow. The NBA has also agreed to start but not sure if it’s today or tomorrow.

I assume they are playing today but I haven't seen anything official.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #114: August 28, 2020, 11:33:54 PM »
As of right now the Mets who swept the Yanks in a DH would be the second wild card team with a 15-16 record. Phillies percentage points behind at 13-14. Makes it difficult for the Nats to be a seller.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116: August 29, 2020, 06:22:04 PM »
Rosenthal to the Padres.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #117: August 29, 2020, 10:24:58 PM »
All games are on free tomorrow on MLB TV. Well except for the Sunday night ESPN game.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #118: August 29, 2020, 10:30:38 PM »
I mean, Richard Justice is talking about Dylan Bundy, Taijuan Walker, and Boyd from Detroit as the best pitchers on the market if Bauer isn't moved.

Hey, surprise!  Eovaldi's on the DL again (and for him, that's probably a more accurate term; "injured" implied a transitory nature that doesn't quite exist in his world).

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #119: August 30, 2020, 10:30:57 PM »
Padres wheeling and dealing

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1300260880505098240?s=20

The Padres had a team OPS+ of 125 which would rank 2nd all time. Now they are replacing Austin Hedges (69 OPS+) with Austin Nola (150 OPS+) and will start Mitch Moreland (202 OPS+) instead of Jurickson Profar (76 OPS+)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #120: August 30, 2020, 11:03:47 PM »
Padres wheeling and dealing

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1300260880505098240?s=20

The Padres had a team OPS+ of 125 which would rank 2nd all time. Now they are replacing Austin Hedges (69 OPS+) with Austin Nola (150 OPS+) and will start Mitch Moreland (202 OPS+) instead of Jurickson Profar (76 OPS+)
And they still won’t win the NL.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #122: August 31, 2020, 12:02:53 PM »
It is said that after the Battle of Austerlitz, Pitt the Elder rolled up a map of Europe and said "we don't need this anymore", since it was now all controlled by Napoleon. I fear that soon we can do the same to the NL schedule, because the Padres will just dominate.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #123: August 31, 2020, 03:02:04 PM »
It is said that after the Battle of Austerlitz, Pitt the Elder rolled up a map of Europe and said "we don't need this anymore", since it was now all controlled by Napoleon. I fear that soon we can do the same to the NL schedule, because the Padres will just dominate.

They're still not even close to being the best team in their division.  The Dodgers just had the #2 prospect in all of baseball chill at the alternate site for a month to manipulate his service time while they ran away with the division, because why not? 

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #124: August 31, 2020, 03:11:45 PM »
Marlins are buyers at the deadline and acquire Sterling Marte.