Author Topic: Around the League (2020)  (Read 6031 times)

Offline nfotiu

Re: Around the League (2020)
« Reply #75: August 20, 2020, 09:48:51 AM »
wow, Brenneman is a national-level announcer.  I hate the "if I offended anyone" stuff.  It should be more, "if I didn't offend you by my remark, then you have a problem too."
Yeah, there's no apologizing out of this one.  Hot mic or not, that's pretty much a fireable offense to say to a work colleague in any industry, at least over the last decade or two.   

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76: August 20, 2020, 09:51:44 AM »
I don’t know what was better, the home run in the middle of the apology, or the fact that the ball landed in the “judgement-free zone”

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #77: August 20, 2020, 06:43:30 PM »
Yeah, there's no apologizing out of this one.  Hot mic or not, that's pretty much a fireable offense to say to a work colleague in any industry, at least over the last decade or two.

It's sorta telling that this only came to light because it went on air.  How long has he been spewing stupidity like that during commercial breaks?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #78: August 20, 2020, 07:01:03 PM »
It's sorta telling that this only came to light because it went on air.  How long has he been spewing stupidity like that during commercial breaks?

Start the inquisition and tribunal.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #79: August 20, 2020, 07:10:51 PM »
Start the inquisition and tribunal.
Should be fired for stupidity if nothing else. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #80: August 20, 2020, 07:14:13 PM »
Should be fired for stupidity if nothing else. 

Hard to believe he said it. Dumb.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #81: August 20, 2020, 07:27:34 PM »

To what (where?) was he referring?

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #82: August 20, 2020, 08:08:28 PM »
I think he was referring to KC, but not sure, calling it one of the f** capitals of the world. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83: August 20, 2020, 08:32:39 PM »
To what (where?) was he referring?

He had been telling a story about going to see the World Series in Bay Area with Johnny Bench in like 1990 immediately before that commercial break. So likely he was talking about San Francisco.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #84: August 20, 2020, 09:34:56 PM »
Phillies blew a 7-0 lead. Damn you unwritten rules.

Offline imref

« Reply #85: August 20, 2020, 10:34:07 PM »
Padres have hit grand slams in four straight games

Offline imref

« Reply #86: August 21, 2020, 09:03:50 AM »
In an absolutely horrific moment in Oakland last night Ted, enjoying the game with some friends, took a foul ball to the head:

https://twitter.com/bttoronto/status/1296766588494983169?s=21

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #87: August 21, 2020, 10:10:03 AM »
Tampa Bay Rays are alone in first place in the AL East this morning. The Yankees seemed invincible just a week ago. With injuries to the Yankees and Astros, we could really see a random team come out of the AL Playoffs.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #88: August 21, 2020, 12:14:24 PM »
In an absolutely horrific moment in Oakland last night Ted, enjoying the game with some friends, took a foul ball to the head:

https://twitter.com/bttoronto/status/1296766588494983169?s=21
you hate to bear witness to such a thing

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89: August 21, 2020, 12:15:52 PM »
Tampa Bay Rays are alone in first place in the AL East this morning. The Yankees seemed invincible just a week ago. With injuries to the Yankees and Astros, we could really see a random team come out of the AL Playoffs.
It'd only be fitting if it were the Rangers now that the two other Washington franchises have won World Series.

Offline imref

« Reply #90: August 21, 2020, 12:42:27 PM »
you hate to bear witness to such a thing

:rimshot:

He looked ok afterwards, almost got the stuffing knocked out of him though.

Offline imref

« Reply #92: August 21, 2020, 02:48:42 PM »
you know, if you watch it from this angle, there had to have been a second foul ball.  Watch his head go back and to the left....back and to the left....back and to the left....

https://twitter.com/NBCSAthletics/status/1296658212146630656?s=20

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #93: August 21, 2020, 03:00:21 PM »
you know, if you watch it from this angle, there had to have been a second foul ball.  Watch his head go back and to the left....back and to the left....back and to the left....

I'm waiting for Zapruder's tape. :mg:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94: August 21, 2020, 04:46:59 PM »

the only knoll I saw had a pitcher standing on it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95: August 22, 2020, 11:28:45 AM »
Red Sox dealt Brandon Workman and Heath Hembree to the Phillies for Pivetta and a prospect. 

The Red Sox are clear sellers at this point.  JD has an opt out after this season, but his numbers are way down. It's very hard to value him at this point if you are an acquiring team.  He doesn't get good for September, then you will have to pay him $38MM for the next two. If he does get good, then he opts out but hopefully it also means you make / go deep in the playoffs.  If he gets moved, I think it would be right on 8/31 and only if he has a good week or so before that.

There's some speculation on MLB.com that Bogaerts may get moved.  His no trade kicks in in September, so it may force Bloom's hand. He can opt out after 2022, but that should not detract too much from his value.   He's making $20MM per through 2025, 2026 if he's not a shell of himself at that point (technically, an option for 2026 that becomes guaranteed if he gets 535 PAs and is healthy at the end of 2025, but there's no way it would not be picked up if he's healthy and still good and no way it'll be picked up if he isn't).

Eovaldi is owed $17MM per through 2022, but that I think is movable. He's healthy and good #3 on a contender, and that's not too far out of line with what those cost as a FA.  His issue has been health, but if he's healthy for the stretch, you are only exposed for 2 more years. Martin Perez is pitching OK, cheap, with an option, so maybe he'll get interest.

Kevin  Pillar is having a good year, is cheap, and an FA next year, so he will be moved.  He's more attractive than JBJ at this point, and JBJ is an FA next year.  Moreland can be moved to maybe open some room for Dalbec, and he is cheap next year.  Peraza would also be a 2B option, but I think he stays. 

My guess is someone takes a shot at Eovaldi for a middling pitching prospect outside of the top 100 and the Sox dump him for salary relief.  I'll also guess Pillar and Moreland get moved.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #96: August 22, 2020, 11:36:45 AM »
Red Sox dealt Brandon Workman and Heath Hembree to the Phillies for Pivetta and a prospect. 

The Red Sox are clear sellers at this point.  JD has an opt out after this season, but his numbers are way down. It's very hard to value him at this point if you are an acquiring team.  He doesn't get good for September, then you will have to pay him $38MM for the next two. If he does get good, then he opts out but hopefully it also means you make / go deep in the playoffs.  If he gets moved, I think it would be right on 8/31 and only if he has a good week or so before that.

There's some speculation on MLB.com that Bogaerts may get moved.  His no trade kicks in in September, so it may force Bloom's hand. He can opt out after 2022, but that should not detract too much from his value.   He's making $20MM per through 2025, 2026 if he's not a shell of himself at that point (technically, an option for 2026 that becomes guaranteed if he gets 535 PAs and is healthy at the end of 2025, but there's no way it would not be picked up if he's healthy and still good and no way it'll be picked up if he isn't).

Eovaldi is owed $17MM per through 2022, but that I think is movable. He's healthy and good #3 on a contender, and that's not too far out of line with what those cost as a FA.  His issue has been health, but if he's healthy for the stretch, you are only exposed for 2 more years. Martin Perez is pitching OK, cheap, with an option, so maybe he'll get interest.

Kevin  Pillar is having a good year, is cheap, and an FA next year, so he will be moved.  He's more attractive than JBJ at this point, and JBJ is an FA next year.  Moreland can be moved to maybe open some room for Dalbec, and he is cheap next year.  Peraza would also be a 2B option, but I think he stays.
They really mucked things up there didn't they?  This is as bd or worse as what happened to the Phillies from 2012 on. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97: August 22, 2020, 11:49:55 AM »
They really mucked things up there didn't they?  This is as bd or worse as what happened to the Phillies from 2012 on. 
I think Bloom has a very long leash from Henry.  Dombrowski did what he does, and actually won a title, so it's the deal with the devil they made.  I don't think they are anywhere near as good shape as they were in 2014-15 because their minors were loaded and they could pay exorbitant prices for whatever pieces they wanted.  They've already done the Punto plus throw ins* bit for salary relief deal last year when they moved Betts and Price, so I think they have a plan.  What I don't see is Henry being willing to go much higher than the tax threshold until he has a team that's worth it.

* (Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, and Josh Beckett)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98: August 22, 2020, 12:12:03 PM »
I think Bloom has a very long leash from Henry.  Dombrowski did what he does, and actually won a title, so it's the deal with the devil they made.  I don't think they are anywhere near as good shape as they were in 2014-15 because their minors were loaded and they could pay exorbitant prices for whatever pieces they wanted.  They've already done the Punto plus throw ins* bit for salary relief deal last year when they moved Betts and Price, so I think they have a plan.  What I don't see is Henry being willing to go much higher than the tax threshold until he has a team that's worth it.

* (Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, and Josh Beckett)

This is what you get when you hire Dombrowski. Sox fans should be happy they are not Detroit and have to go thru all this pain without the pleasure of having won a title.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #99: August 22, 2020, 01:40:59 PM »

My guess is someone takes a shot at Eovaldi for a middling pitching prospect outside of the top 100 and the Sox dump him for salary relief.  I'll also guess Pillar and Moreland get moved.

How many seasons as a starter has Eovaldi been both healthy and decent?

The answer tells you why his contract is every bit as bad as Price's.