Author Topic: Around the League (2020)  (Read 6128 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Around the League (2020)
« Reply #75: August 22, 2020, 11:36:45 AM »
Red Sox dealt Brandon Workman and Heath Hembree to the Phillies for Pivetta and a prospect. 

The Red Sox are clear sellers at this point.  JD has an opt out after this season, but his numbers are way down. It's very hard to value him at this point if you are an acquiring team.  He doesn't get good for September, then you will have to pay him $38MM for the next two. If he does get good, then he opts out but hopefully it also means you make / go deep in the playoffs.  If he gets moved, I think it would be right on 8/31 and only if he has a good week or so before that.

There's some speculation on MLB.com that Bogaerts may get moved.  His no trade kicks in in September, so it may force Bloom's hand. He can opt out after 2022, but that should not detract too much from his value.   He's making $20MM per through 2025, 2026 if he's not a shell of himself at that point (technically, an option for 2026 that becomes guaranteed if he gets 535 PAs and is healthy at the end of 2025, but there's no way it would not be picked up if he's healthy and still good and no way it'll be picked up if he isn't).

Eovaldi is owed $17MM per through 2022, but that I think is movable. He's healthy and good #3 on a contender, and that's not too far out of line with what those cost as a FA.  His issue has been health, but if he's healthy for the stretch, you are only exposed for 2 more years. Martin Perez is pitching OK, cheap, with an option, so maybe he'll get interest.

Kevin  Pillar is having a good year, is cheap, and an FA next year, so he will be moved.  He's more attractive than JBJ at this point, and JBJ is an FA next year.  Moreland can be moved to maybe open some room for Dalbec, and he is cheap next year.  Peraza would also be a 2B option, but I think he stays.
They really mucked things up there didn't they?  This is as bd or worse as what happened to the Phillies from 2012 on.