Author Topic: Pizza (2020) - a noncontroversial topic  (Read 1000 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Pizza (2020) - a noncontroversial topic
« Reply #25: July 28, 2020, 08:58:59 AM »
Wikipedia recognizes 11 regional pizza types in the United States: California-style, Chicago-style, Detroit-style, Grandma pizza, Greek, Jumbo slice, New Haven-style, New York-style, Trenton-style, Quad City-style, and the infamous St. Louis-style. My goal is to one day try them all.

When I lived in Cambridge, MA I recall the Greek style being really popular there

Most of the Greek places were "[locality] House of Pizza."  Really nothing special.  I think they all probably bought equipment and recipes from the same vendor.  However, most of them made good hot subs / grinders.

In New Haven, there's actually a Greek-style place that was very popular among students and Alums called Yorkside.  They started up just about the time I started college, so it's funny to see how a few of us have aged when I stop by.  I used  to hit it on my drives up to Boston, along with Ashley's ice cream and the coffee / tea place on the block (now Blue State Coffee but before that Koffee Two).  Nice family dishes.  Goodness I hope they are surviving without the foot traffic. 

Also, there used to be a place Bulldog Pizza across from the old Rudy's on Elm and Howe. Greek, not very good at all, but the owner Spiro became a big John Anderson fan in 1980, probably because Anderson's wife was Keke Machakos Anderson.  HE even had a "Keke Special" on the menu - whole wheat crust, feta, olives, and probably some tomato slices, too.  I ordered it a few times.  The campaign had Keke stop by Bulldog for a photo op I think during the run up to the general election.