Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Cole Henry, RHP  (Read 7569 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Follow the Prospects: Cole Henry, RHP
« Reply #50: April 12, 2022, 06:47:42 AM »
Comparing him to denaburg is absolutely asinine and you know it.
Its really not. Denanburg, Rutledge, and Henry are all the same at this point. Extremely talented but incredibly injury prone. Last year was the second time in thrre years that Henry was shut down for months due to elbow inflammation.

TINSTAAPP

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #51: April 12, 2022, 08:38:53 AM »
IT is a matter of degrees. Last seen, Henry was dominant in the AFL.  Yes, has to show he can stay healthy for longer, but at least that some evidence of current health and dominant stuff.  He's reached AA. AA pitchers get called up. 

Denaburg has pitched all of 20 innings 3 years ago, plus 2 major surgeries.  He also did not even dominate in rookie ball. HE hasn't shown anything since high school.  Got to say there's a lot more red flags there.

Rutledge pitched 25 innings after his shoulder injury last year.  Granted, it was A ball and AFL relief, but again that's more of a sign of life than Denaburg. 

Bottom line, the floor on all 3 is that they cannot make the majors due to injury.  The likelihood of a floor outcome is a lot lower for Henry than Denaburg at this point. Rutledge is in the middle.  Henry's more likely outcome is MLB appearances and perhaps a relief role to minimize stress, but becoming a very good starter is almost as likely.

Edit  - by the way, Henry pitched 19 innings in AFL, so Denaburg may have pitched an inning more than that (I rounded).

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #52: April 17, 2022, 12:16:17 PM »
3IP, H, 3Ks last night.

Offline imref

« Reply #53: April 23, 2022, 12:20:20 AM »
3IP, H, 3Ks last night.

Almost a repeat tonight: 3IP, 0H, BB, 5Ks

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #54: April 23, 2022, 10:33:49 AM »
Almost a repeat tonight: 3IP, 0H, BB, 5Ks

Been saying it.  He’s a total stud

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #55: April 23, 2022, 10:38:38 AM »
Nats are being properly careful with his health. That's good.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #56: April 23, 2022, 12:22:14 PM »
If by the end of the year he can go 5 innings a start in AA then next year will be a launchpad for him

Offline imref

« Reply #57: April 29, 2022, 10:42:17 PM »
Got up to 4 innings tonight. 4Ks, 2BBs, 0H. Dominant.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #58: April 29, 2022, 10:59:15 PM »
Got up to 4 innings tonight. 4Ks, 2BBs, 0H. Dominant.

Been saying.

What I got slate? 
Where’s the hate mate?

Online Slateman

« Reply #59: April 29, 2022, 11:45:17 PM »
Been saying.

What I got slate? 
Where’s the hate mate?
Call me when he makes 20 starts for the first time since high school

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60: April 30, 2022, 11:12:59 AM »
Call me when he makes 20 starts for the first time since high school
you have this routine until end of July.  If he doesn't miss a start and goes every 5th day, he should get in 16 more starts this season by then. 

It looks like they have an innings limit on him.  I think they want him to stay healthy and pitch a whole season.  It may mean he doesn't go 6 innings until the second half of the year.  30 starts, 140 innings would be enough.  The only other thing that might happen is, if he makes it through July, you might see a call up and him being used regularly as a 2-3 inning guy.  At that point, I wouldn't be adverse to him starting out as an opener were Rizzo and Davey to accept the concept.

Online Slateman

« Reply #61: April 30, 2022, 01:03:57 PM »
you have this routine until end of July.  If he doesn't miss a start and goes every 5th day, he should get in 16 more starts this season by then. 

It looks like they have an innings limit on him.  I think they want him to stay healthy and pitch a whole season.  It may mean he doesn't go 6 innings until the second half of the year.  30 starts, 140 innings would be enough.  The only other thing that might happen is, if he makes it through July, you might see a call up and him being used regularly as a 2-3 inning guy.  At that point, I wouldn't be adverse to him starting out as an opener were Rizzo and Davey to accept the concept.
I mean, even then, he has a huge road ahead of him. I honestly dont see a reason to let him go more than 4 innings for a while, given his fragility. He's two years from being drafted out of Division I baseball and he's pitching extended relief at Double A. Thats fine, but like, that is still light years away from being an ace or a stud or even a top tier prospect.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62: April 30, 2022, 01:41:48 PM »
I mean, even then, he has a huge road ahead of him. I honestly dont see a reason to let him go more than 4 innings for a while, given his fragility. He's two years from being drafted out of Division I baseball and he's pitching extended relief at Double A. Thats fine, but like, that is still light years away from being an ace or a stud or even a top tier prospect.
I agree with your first point.  I think they want to see him pitch every 5th day, multiple innings, and build arm strength this year.  140 innings would be just fine, along with a whole season (30 starts).  I'd be very, very happy with that. I really don't care about AA, AAA, or MLB for a bit.  While you question the fragility, the stuff is what has been playing well so far. Oh, and for the record, he's not pitching relief in the minors.  4 appearances, 4 starts.  They're short starts, though.  just 13 innings. Extreme BABIP luck, too (,120).
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jeffrey-henry/sa3014446/stats?position=P

FWIW, he has 3 pitches that grade out at 60 per FG. No wonder he dominates when he's out there. 

Offline imref

« Reply #63: May 05, 2022, 01:29:10 PM »
first not-so-good start today: 2.2 IP, 1H, 5BB, 4Ks, 1ER, raises his ERA to 0.57, 69 pitches, 34 strikes.

Offline imref

« Reply #64: May 13, 2022, 12:16:00 PM »
Other than a lead off HR Henry didn’t allow a hit in 4IP yesterday. 4Ks, no walks.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65: May 13, 2022, 01:58:27 PM »
Looks like he's pitching every 6th or 7th day, with a 4 inning cap for now.  The no walks is nice.  So far, he's given up fewer hits than starts :shock:

Online Slateman

« Reply #66: May 23, 2022, 08:54:45 AM »
Hasnt pitched since May 12. Probably wont pitch Tuesday, with Ross there for a rehab assignment.

Online Slateman

« Reply #67: May 28, 2022, 09:48:38 PM »
After 15 days, he pitched 4 innings

Offline Section214

« Reply #68: May 29, 2022, 10:22:40 AM »
After 15 days, he pitched 4 innings

4 more scoreless innings. 0 hits, 0 BB, 4 Ks. 0.76 ERA on the year over 23.2 IP. Completely dominant, just needs to build up

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69: May 29, 2022, 12:28:01 PM »
kind of obvious they are managing his innings load and trying to stretch his starts out through the end of the season without an IL stint.  I think 100 innings is probably the target.  He threw 66 last year in a couple of blocks.  A 50% increase and a normal season length is about all you could want.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #70: May 29, 2022, 01:12:20 PM »
He’s given up 5 hits in 23.2 innings this year.  33 in 70.2 career milb innings.  He’s a beast.  He’s an ace in the making and will be a top 50 prospect in the offseason

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71: May 29, 2022, 05:06:32 PM »
He’s given up 5 hits in 23.2 innings this year.  33 in 70.2 career milb innings.  He’s a beast.  He’s an ace in the making and will be a top 50 prospect in the offseason
I think I am on board, but the Nats need to build his innings up. 100 innings would be 80 over the next 4 months.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72: May 31, 2022, 02:19:06 PM »
I agree with your first point.  I think they want to see him pitch every 5th day, multiple innings, and build arm strength this year.  140 innings would be just fine, along with a whole season (30 starts).  I'd be very, very happy with that. I really don't care about AA, AAA, or MLB for a bit.  While you question the fragility, the stuff is what has been playing well so far. Oh, and for the record, he's not pitching relief in the minors.  4 appearances, 4 starts.  They're short starts, though.  just 13 innings. Extreme BABIP luck, too (,120).
https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jeffrey-henry/sa3014446/stats?position=P

FWIW, he has 3 pitches that grade out at 60 per FG. No wonder he dominates when he's out there. 
kind of obvious they are managing his innings load and trying to stretch his starts out through the end of the season without an IL stint.  I think 100 innings is probably the target.  He threw 66 last year in a couple of blocks.  A 50% increase and a normal season length is about all you could want.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/05/31/little-by-little-nats-want-prospect-cole-henry-pitch-full-season/

The goal, put simply, is to have Henry pitch first full minor league season. After he was drafted in the second round in 2020, there were no minor league games to pitch in because of the coronavirus pandemic. Last year, elbow soreness limited him to 47 innings across 11 appearances. So now Washington is spoon-feeding him innings, feeling that’s better than giving him five- or six-inning starts only to shut him down in August.

“We’ve had guys who have been on innings limits in the past, and it’s crazy that when you put a number on a guy it really comes up faster than you would think just through the normal starts," minor league pitching coordinator Sam Narron said. " So we want Cole to be able to finish the year and make all of his starts. It’s going to be a gradual progression, building him through the end of the year where he can continue to pitch, finish the year as opposed to maybe having to stop him at a certain point because he has run out of innings.

"So we want to be judicious early so that he can be strong late.”

Says there's a split in the organization about who is the better pitching prospect, Cavalli or Henry.  Of course, TINSTAAPP

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73: May 31, 2022, 02:21:31 PM »
Also:
Henry’s 15-day layoff included some throwing and a good bit of rest. The Nationals are considering a similar break for 25-year-old righty Jake Irvin, who is coming off Tommy John surgery and has a 1.73 ERA in 26 innings for Harrisburg.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #74: May 31, 2022, 02:53:40 PM »
The organization is being cautious and reasonable. Good. I'll never forget Mut fans singing "Harvey's better than you are" at Strasburg, along with all the "experts" insisting that Rizzo was "babying" Strasburg by holding to an innings limit in 2012.