Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Cade Cavalli, RHP  (Read 11112 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Follow the Prospects: Cade Cavalli, RHP
« Reply #226: August 14, 2022, 06:43:11 AM »
The two to one strikes to balls ratio and only two walks is encouraging.  But we have Kyle Abbott and Anibal!!!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #227: August 14, 2022, 10:44:51 AM »
Is there a scouting write up on him recently? There was still a lot of chase in that clip. Curious how much his stuff is dominating while pitching inside the (MLB) strike zone.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #228: August 14, 2022, 11:09:25 AM »
Is there a scouting write up on him recently? There was still a lot of chase in that clip. Curious how much his stuff is dominating while pitching inside the (MLB) strike zone.
Prospects Live just released their mid-season top 100

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #229: August 14, 2022, 11:16:57 AM »
Thanks! Here it is, doesn’t answer my question about swing and miss in the zone but still a nice little summary.

37. Cade Cavalli, RHP, Washington Nationals

The Good: The velocity has always been there for Cavalli, as he sits 94-96 and touches 98 as a starter. He even hit triple digits in his abbreviated outing in the 2021 Future’s Game. The curveball, slider and change all show up as above-average pitches, if not better and all three offerings miss bats.

The Bad: He struggled in April and May but is sporting a 2.29 ERA since the beginning of June. His fastball is the main culprit as he struggled commanding his heater. The fastball doesn’t play up metrically, and in fact, his fastball might be his worst pitch, despite the plus velocity.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #230: August 14, 2022, 11:25:11 AM »
Yet another guy with poor metrics

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #231: August 14, 2022, 11:29:01 AM »
Welp the scouts are NEVER wrong so we are doomed on this guy also.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #232: August 14, 2022, 04:28:17 PM »
Cavalli also had a really good start yesterday, but prior to that since returning from injury he had 14 innings pitched in 3 appearances with 10 Ks, 7 BBs, and 2 HBP.

Also, do we really want Cavalli having an interaction with this coaching staff? Which of the MLB pitchers has gotten better? Rather we wait until there is a decent staff before letting them freak with Cavalli.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #233: August 15, 2022, 10:01:39 AM »
If they're not going to call him up after this recent run, then it isn't happening this season. I'd like him to get up and get 2 or 3 starts to set the stage for the offseason.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #234: August 15, 2022, 10:20:55 AM »
If they're not going to call him up after this recent run, then it isn't happening this season. I'd like him to get up and get 2 or 3 starts to set the stage for the offseason.
It's probably some combo of not being ready and service time manipulation.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #235: August 15, 2022, 10:22:24 AM »
They can call him up against the Reds after one more minor league start rather than calling him up now to get his crap pushed in by San Diego or something.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #236: August 15, 2022, 10:23:02 AM »
It's probably some combo of not being ready and service time manipulation.

He's only at 92 innings this year,  he threw 123 last year so I assume there's no issue with limiting his innings the rest of the way.

Offline Section214

« Reply #237: August 15, 2022, 10:24:08 AM »
They can call him up against the Reds after one more minor league start rather than calling him up now to get his crap pushed in by San Diego or something.

I will be very upset if he is not starting that Reds series. Give him a few starts up here to get him ready for next year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #238: August 15, 2022, 11:28:03 AM »
I will be very upset if he is not starting that Reds series. Give him a few starts up here to get him ready for next year.
Unpopular opinion.  I think he finishes the year in Rochester and Alu and Cronin are the call ups in September.  I think Cavalli just gets his innings in in Rochester and then calls it a season.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #239: August 15, 2022, 12:29:43 PM »
Am I the only one who doesnt want the MLB coaching staff anywhere near this guy? They have managed to royally freak up every other promising pitcher's development

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #240: August 15, 2022, 12:41:39 PM »
I mean it's easy to blame positional coaches on development but I do have trepidations.

My larger issue is we have a lot of prospects developing and we're not close to any sort of wholesale organizational changes (outside of ownership). If the sale is this fall, I imagine the first 6-12 months will be spent learning and assessing the organization. Any new investment or approach to our player dev seems far off.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #241: August 15, 2022, 01:31:46 PM »
Am I the only one who doesnt want the MLB coaching staff anywhere near this guy? They have managed to royally freak up every other promising pitcher's development
Jim Hickey has been here two seasons. Nothing is happening in Rochester that isn't directly being influenced by the major league club.

I don't see the risk of MLB staff screwing him up more than the minors staff could.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #242: August 15, 2022, 01:33:41 PM »
Jim Hickey has been here two seasons. Nothing is happening in Rochester that isn't directly being influenced by the major league club.

I don't see the risk of MLB staff screwing him up more than the minors staff could.
Yea. It will probably be the same pitching coach next year in DC. Think he could use one or two more starts down on the farm where he controls his fastball.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #243: August 15, 2022, 02:19:22 PM »
Rizzo's boy DeJean Watson will keep Cade on track with data-driven insights like how his girlfriend looks, how he wears his hat and if he's too distracted by SnapFace.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #244: August 15, 2022, 02:38:55 PM »
Rizzo's boy DeJean Watson will keep Cade on track with data-driven insights like how his girlfriend looks, how he wears his hat and if he's too distracted by SnapFace.
You really are like the Nats fan version of MDS

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #245: August 15, 2022, 02:57:56 PM »

has that replaced Friendface?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #246: August 17, 2022, 08:59:40 AM »
In that last start, he did it against the O's Triple A affiliate, which is probably the best in all of Triple A. He also threw more curveballs than he normally does

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #247: August 17, 2022, 11:23:24 AM »
In that last start, he did it against the O's Triple A affiliate, which is probably the best in all of Triple A. He also threw more curveballs than he normally does
I hope he threw at Gunnar.  Need to start the bad blood early.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #248: August 17, 2022, 11:25:11 AM »
I hope he threw at Gunnar.  Need to start the bad blood early.
Struck him out 3 times

Offline Kevrock