Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Cade Cavalli, RHP  (Read 11333 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Follow the Prospects: Cade Cavalli, RHP
« Reply #175: June 12, 2022, 12:30:33 PM »
Last five starts:
6/10: 5IP, 6H, 4BB, 5Ks
6/4: 7IP, 5H, 2BB, 10Ks
5/28: 7IP, 2H, 1BB, 6Ks
5/22: 5IP, 1H, 3BB, 4Ks
5/17: 0.2IP, 5H, 2BB, 2Ks
He must already be here since he had two 7 inning outings!

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #176: June 12, 2022, 12:32:09 PM »
He must already be here since he had two 7 inning outings!
:)

Online imref

« Reply #177: June 17, 2022, 07:33:57 AM »
5IP, 5H, R, BB, 4Ks

2.17 ERA and 1.034 WHIP over his last 5 starts.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #178: June 18, 2022, 10:43:30 AM »
5IP, 5H, R, BB, 4Ks

2.17 ERA and 1.034 WHIP over his last 5 starts.
Really curious how they handle him.  I think the long-term strategic approach would be to let him go the full year in AAA and even start next season down in AAA.  Don't add him to the roster until late April.  That gets you 6+ years of service time.  I don't think a taste of the majors in August and September adds much.  Let him sustain pitching well in AAA, and let him build more innings.  Same with Henry.  Frankly, the next guy I would conceivably rush would be Theophile.  He has to be rostered before the Rule 5 draft. If he pitches well 2 months at Wilmington (June / July), I bump him up to Harrisburg in August, let him finish the season there, then add him to the Nats roster to end the season.  Only reason not to do that is if he's going to the AFL this off-season.  But the Henry and Theophile discussion is for another thread.  Main point is, unless we are ready to say that Cavalli is ready permanently, I don't think you call him up as a fill in for the bottom of the rotation to just get experience with a bad team losing.  It robs you of control over him for not much gain.  Do that with Adon, who you have already burned.

Online imref

« Reply #179: June 18, 2022, 10:49:12 AM »
I don't know what his innings limit is this season, but I expect we'll see him up sooner rather than later.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #180: June 18, 2022, 10:54:41 AM »
Really curious how they handle him.  I think the long-term strategic approach would be to let him go the full year in AAA and even start next season down in AAA.  Don't add him to the roster until late April.  That gets you 6+ years of service time.  I don't think a taste of the majors in August and September adds much.  Let him sustain pitching well in AAA, and let him build more innings.  Same with Henry.  Frankly, the next guy I would conceivably rush would be Theophile.  He has to be rostered before the Rule 5 draft. If he pitches well 2 months at Wilmington (June / July), I bump him up to Harrisburg in August, let him finish the season there, then add him to the Nats roster to end the season.  Only reason not to do that is if he's going to the AFL this off-season.  But the Henry and Theophile discussion is for another thread.  Main point is, unless we are ready to say that Cavalli is ready permanently, I don't think you call him up as a fill in for the bottom of the rotation to just get experience with a bad team losing.  It robs you of control over him for not much gain.  Do that with Adon, who you have already burned.
I disagree. I think a taste of the majors in August gives him a baseline to work off in the offseason.  Particularly if he pitches like this through July

AFL would be a waste for him at this point.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #181: June 18, 2022, 11:18:42 AM »
I don't know what his innings limit is this season, but I expect we'll see him up sooner rather than later.
He went 123 innings last year, so I imagine they will bump him up to 140-160 this year and consider him ready for a full season workload if he pitches through September. 

Looking at his game log, he's had 1 brilliant start this season, 5/28, followed by one of his 2 very good starts 6/4.  both 7 inning starts, one with 2 hits, 1 walk, 6 Ks, 0 runs, the next other with 5 hits, 2  walks, 10 Ks, 1 run.  Next best start would be 5/11, 5.2 IP, 4 hits, 1 BB, 1 HBP, 6 Ks, 2 runs (1 ER), or  weird on on 4/30 (5.1 IP shutout, 0 hits, but 3 BB, an HBP, and 1 K) . The rest are 4-5 inning starts, not much to speak of.  WHIP of 1.5 -2.0, just a K or fewer an inning, is not dominating.  He's suppressing homers (3 in 57 IP), but gave up 2 in his second to last start on 6/10. https://www.fangraphs.com/players/steven-cavalli/sa3014421/game-log?position=P&season=

What you want to see before a call up is a string of games like 5/28 or 6/4.  I want 6+ innings, >6 Ks, WHIP < or = 1,  < or = 2 runs.  I want 4 of those in no more than 5 starts.  Then I'd start to think he has no more to learn at AAA.  I want to see domination in AAA before I feed him up to MLB in a lost season.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #182: June 18, 2022, 11:29:55 AM »
He went 123 innings last year, so I imagine they will bump him up to 140-160 this year and consider him ready for a full season workload if he pitches through September. 

Looking at his game log, he's had 1 brilliant start this season, 5/28, followed by one of his 2 very good starts 6/4.  both 7 inning starts, one with 2 hits, 1 walk, 6 Ks, 0 runs, the next other with 5 hits, 2  walks, 10 Ks, 1 run.  Next best start would be 5/11, 5.2 IP, 4 hits, 1 BB, 1 HBP, 6 Ks, 2 runs (1 ER), or  weird on on 4/30 (5.1 IP shutout, 0 hits, but 3 BB, an HBP, and 1 K) . The rest are 4-5 inning starts, not much to speak of.  WHIP of 1.5 -2.0, just a K or fewer an inning, is not dominating.  He's suppressing homers (3 in 57 IP), but gave up 2 in his second to last start on 6/10. https://www.fangraphs.com/players/steven-cavalli/sa3014421/game-log?position=P&season=

What you want to see before a call up is a string of games like 5/28 or 6/4.  I want 6+ innings, >6 Ks, WHIP < or = 1,  < or = 2 runs.  I want 4 of those in no more than 5 starts.  Then I'd start to think he has no more to learn at AAA.  I want to see domination in AAA before I feed him up to MLB in a lost season.
In fairness, he's close to the markers I put down in this last post over his last 5 starts.  In the last 28 days, his ERA is 2.17, his WHIP is 1.035, he has 29 Ks in 29 IP, over 5 starts.  A lot of that's driven by 5/28 and 6/4.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=cavall000cad&type=pgl&year=2022

Offline Section214

« Reply #183: June 18, 2022, 11:43:24 AM »
I disagree. I think a taste of the majors in August gives him a baseline to work off in the offseason.  Particularly if he pitches like this through July

AFL would be a waste for him at this point.

Completely agree. Letting him have a full season in AAA and starting him in AAA is complete overkill. Get him up in August/September and let him fight for a rotation spot in spring training next year.

Online imref

« Reply #184: June 18, 2022, 11:50:02 AM »
Completely agree. Letting him have a full season in AAA and starting him in AAA is complete overkill. Get him up in August/September and let him fight for a rotation spot in spring training next year.

another decent start and he's likely made his last in AAA baring injury. I think we'll see him very soon. He's almost 24 already, this isn't someone being rushed.

Online imref

« Reply #185: June 24, 2022, 08:12:29 PM »
Cavalli shut down for a mid season break per Zuck

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #186: June 26, 2022, 02:13:44 PM »
Cavalli shut down for a mid season break per Zuck

And per Post article. Cavalli, Henry, and House: Nats want them to play until the end of the season, so the organization decided on a little vacation for the three.

Online imref

« Reply #187: June 30, 2022, 10:46:01 AM »
Cavalli was back on the hill last night, 3 IP, 3H, 3R, 3ER, 2BB, 5K, WP, 77 pitches, 45 strikes

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188: July 07, 2022, 10:53:57 AM »
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/washington-nationals-top-mlb-prospects-updates-2022?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Cavalli flirts with perfecto, continues strong stretch (July 6)
Don’t let the season-long numbers fool you. Cade Cavalli is back.

The top-ranked Nationals prospect continued his strong stretch with a near-flawless outing, taking a perfect game through 5 2/3 innings and finishing with seven scoreless. Cavalli struck out seven, allowed two hits and, for the first time this season, did not walk a batter in Triple-A Rochester’s 4-0 win over Lehigh Valley.

Cavalli’s stuff was on from the jump, as he struck out a pair in the first inning. From there, the righty went 17 up, 17 down before losing the bid on an 0-2 pitch to Chris Sharpe with two outs in the sixth. Cavalli allowed a leadoff single in the seventh but battled back with a strikeout and a ground-ball double play to end his night on a high note.

more here: https://www.mlb.com/news/cade-cavalli-flirts-with-perfection-in-triple-a?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

last 7 starts, 39 innings, ERA 2.31

Online Slateman

« Reply #189: July 07, 2022, 11:44:42 AM »
Keep it up, we gonna see him soon. Paulo isnt a SP at this point

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190: July 07, 2022, 11:47:29 AM »
Keep it up, we gonna see him soon. Paulo isnt a SP at this point
I've pitched managing his years of control at one point, but I think what you are saying is much more likely. The article even discusses his healthy 2 week off break as a move that will lengthen his season, even if it ends up finishing in the majors.

Online Slateman

« Reply #191: July 07, 2022, 11:53:39 AM »
Team control is a fair arguement. But you gotta get this guy up to the MLB level for a good amount of time this season. He needs to go into the offseason knowing what he needs tocwork on in the offseason to have a legit shot at making the rotation in 2023.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #192: July 07, 2022, 02:18:08 PM »
I was thinking he would hit an innings limit as he pitched only 130 innings last year. But only 67.1 innings this year in 14 starts. They really coddle these guys nowadays.

Bring him up.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #193: July 07, 2022, 05:42:30 PM »
Sounds, from the Post discussion about House, Cavalli, and the other highly value pitchers, that Rizzo intended to keep Cavalli at AAA at least until September. That makes the rotation Corbin, Gray, Fedde, Espino, and a minor leaguer. Someone like Adon, who, I believe, has been hurt because the Nats jumped him from AA to the majors.

There are spots in the bullpen for an old-fashioned three-inning reliever who is also a spot starter.

The Nats could leave somebody like Reed Garrett or Jordan Weems at the hotel in Philadelphia (is Weems still with the big team?). Then replace them with Rogers and Adon. Current starting pitchers, all around baseball, hardly go six or seven innings. Maybe baseball is groping its way toward a "mob" pitching staff. Maybe two or three clear starters who go six or seven innings, and a mob of spot starters who also relieve.

Maybe the one-inning reliever will soon be as rare as a starter who goes eight innings. If a starter gets pulled after four innings, how can a collection of one-inning relievers survive more than a couple of games? 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #194: July 07, 2022, 07:38:12 PM »
Maybe they want to stay in the bottom 3 and bringing him up would decrease those odds?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #195: July 07, 2022, 10:04:58 PM »
He will be in the Futures Game along with Darren Baker.

Online imref

« Reply #196: July 11, 2022, 12:23:17 PM »
AAA pitcher of the week after his 7IP, 7K start.

Online Slateman

Online imref

« Reply #198: July 15, 2022, 01:37:28 PM »
Out of the futures game, replaced by Jose Ferrer

Offline Section214

« Reply #199: July 15, 2022, 01:43:36 PM »
Bummer about the futures game, but it sounds like it's just a blister and not a big deal -- https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/nationals-cade-cavalli-exit-labeled-precautionary/