Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Cade Cavalli, RHP  (Read 11417 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Follow the Prospects: Cade Cavalli, RHP
« Reply #50: July 18, 2021, 04:57:46 PM »
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-cade-cavalli-envisions-more-lorenzens-and-ohtanis/

Cade Cavalli could conceivably handle his own as an Ohtani-lite. The top pitching prospect in the Washington Nationals system performed solely on the mound in his junior year at the University of Oklahoma, but he was both a pitcher and a corner infielder in the two years prior. And he raked. Cavalli’s sophomore numbers with the Sooners included a .319/.393/.611 slash line with five doubles, a pair of triples, and four home runs in 88 plate appearances. Including his freshman output, the Tulsa native went deep 10 times as a collegian.

“For me, I was playing it more on the safe side going into my junior year,” continued Cavalli, “I figured that my future was going to be on the mound. Don’t get me wrong — I loved hitting, and I loved playing every single day— but physically, for recovery purposes… and mentally, focusing solely on pitching, helped me a ton. But I do think there are dudes out there. And I think that I could have done it. But like I said, I was just playing it safe.”