Author Topic: Star Spangled Banner and original British version  (Read 715 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Ok we can keep the SSB.  But can we stop playing it before every sporting event.  I don’t believe they do that in other countries except maybe Canada. Do we think this makes us better?  Half the people are not even in their seats when it is played.

Offline HalfSmokes

I think what the great national anthems have in common is that they were not written to be national anthems. They were written as patriotic songs during a specific time in that country's history, and then became so popular and beloved because of their high quality that they transcended the historical moment and became timeless.

The SSB does fit into this category, and this makes it better than 80% of national anthems, which are just "O country you are a beautiful country". But the USA not only can do better, it has done better.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Ok we can keep the SSB.  But can we stop playing it before every sporting event.  I don’t believe they do that in other countries except maybe Canada.[...]

They don't play 'God Save the Queen' prior to English Premier League matches.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I'm partial to this:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
They don't play 'God Save the Queen' prior to English Premier League matches.
I like this version:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Offline HalfSmokes

It's odd that people would hold participating in chattel slavery against historical figures