Author Topic: Star Spangled Banner and original British version  (Read 723 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

You can post a link to your favorite rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, the USA's Nationals Anthem.

Perhaps go into the Politics section of WNFF, to debate standing or kneeling during its play before sporting events.

This is the original version, The Anacreon Song, a British drinking song:

The song was written for the Anacreontic Society, probably around 1771. The tune (...) is now thought to have been written "collectively" by members of the society, led by John Stafford Smith (...). The society met every two weeks to get drunk, sing songs and to indulge in some debauchery. Anacreon himself was a Greek poet from about 570BC who was noted for his erotic poetry (...) and his drinking songs.
 The Anacreon Song  :uk: Lyrics:

To Anacreon in Heav'n, where he sat in full glee,
A few sons of harmony sent in a petition
  That he their Inspirer and patron would be;
  When this answer arriv'd from the Jolly Old Grecian
    "Voice, fiddle and flute,
    "no longer be mute,
  "I'll lend you my name and inspire you to boot,
"And, besides, I'll instruct you, like me, to intwine
"The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine."

(...)

Ye Sons of Anacreon, then join hand in hand;
Preserve unanimity, friendship and love!
  'Tis yours to support what's so happily plann'd;
  You've the sanction of Gods and the fiat of Jove.
    While thus we agree
    Our toast let it be:
  "May our club flourish happy, united and free!
"And long may the sons of Anacreon intwine
"The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine."

Online 1995hoo

This version is my favorite. It's a performance of the entire anthem—all four verses. Most people have never heard the ones other than the first verse, and I only know one person who knows the lyrics to all four (he's typing this post).

If you're pressed for time, note this is 11 minutes long.

Online HalfSmokes

There's a reason the third verse can't be sung in polite company

Online Natsinpwc

Can't we just change it to America the Beautiful.  Our nationals anthem is terrible music. 

Online 1995hoo

BTW, for those of you who have never been to Fort McHenry, it's worth a visit just to see the film in the visitors' center. At the end of the film, the anthem starts playing and a window covering slides back so you can see the flag flying over the fort.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Can't we just change it to America the Beautiful.  Our nationals anthem is terrible music. 
well, the music was written by debauched drunks.  Not known to keep things on Key, Francis.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
So is America The Beautiful.  ATB is made for a high school chorus whose audience are only people who have to be there.  ATB doesn't have to same dynamic words to emotionally move people like the Star Spangled Banner.

Offline ajcartwright

well, the music was written by debauched drunks.  Not known to keep things on Key, Francis.
see what you did there, and don't call me Francis

Online Natsinpwc

So is America The Beautiful.  ATB is made for a high school chorus whose audience are only people who have to be there.  ATB doesn't have to same dynamic words to emotionally move people like the Star Spangled Banner.
I would rather have an anthem about our beautiful country rather than about a war. It also sounds better.

Online Natsinpwc

I would rather have an anthem about our beautiful country rather than about a war. It also sounds better.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

IF this doesn't touch you, well. We have nothing in common. Imagine the Great Ray riffing over the top of 25K people at Nats Park. Hell. Let's replace God Bless America at least. That song sucks.

Online Natsinpwc

IF this doesn't touch you, well. We have nothing in common. Imagine the Great Ray riffing over the top of 25K people at Nats Park. Hell. Let's replace God Bless America at least. That song sucks.

Hush your mouth.

Online 1995hoo

What I particularly dislike about "God Bless America" is this idea that we are somehow all supposedly "required" to stand up and remove our hats for it. It's not the national anthem.

Online HalfSmokes

Hush your mouth.

Can’t you appreciate a beautiful anthem

Online Natsinpwc

Can’t you appreciate a beautiful anthem
She always has exuded class.

Online Natsinpwc

What I particularly dislike about "God Bless America" is this idea that we are somehow all supposedly "required" to stand up and remove our hats for it. It's not the national anthem.
Everyone stands for Take Me Out to the Ballgame. I don’t think anyone is forcing you to stand.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
heck, in B'More, they stand for "Thank G-d I'm a Country Boy."

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Here's a special version of the SSB sung right at our own Nationals Park. Ignore the freaknuts shouting "O". Starts at 1:25.

Online 1995hoo

Three days after 9-11 at St. Paul's. Reportedly HM the Queen joined in singing, though she’s not seen in the video.

Online Natsinpwc

Offline blue911

I didn’t know Kate Smith had muttonchops

Online Natsinpwc

I didn’t know Kate Smith had muttonchops
Things happen when you get old.

Offline Count Walewski

I'm hugely patriotic, my house is full of US flags, my closet is full of American flag shirts and ties. I think the Star-Spangled Banner is maybe the 6th or 7th best piece of patriotic music the United States has, and that's just counting anthems, marches, etc. Star Spangled Banner may not even make top 50 if you include hit songs that have a patriotic tone or subtext.

I favor the Battle Hymn of the Republic for our national anthem. Patriotic songs that I think are better than the Star Spangled Banner include every single armed forces hymn, the Battle Hymn, and one of my personal favorites the Battle Cry of Freedom.

But favorite SSB rendition? On this forum?

Bonus: check out the Battle Cry of Freedom if you're not familiar

Online HalfSmokes

I'm hugely patriotic, my house is full of US flags, my closet is full of American flag shirts and ties. I think the Star-Spangled Banner is maybe the 6th or 7th best piece of patriotic music the United States has, and that's just counting anthems, marches, etc. Star Spangled Banner may not even make top 50 if you include hit songs that have a patriotic tone or subtext.

I favor the Battle Hymn of the Republic for our national anthem. Patriotic songs that I think are better than the Star Spangled Banner include every single armed forces hymn, the Battle Hymn, and one of my personal favorites the Battle Cry of Freedom.

But favorite SSB rendition? On this forum?

the battle hymn is right up there with the La Marseillaise as a song for soldiers to burn cities to

Offline Count Walewski

I think what the great national anthems have in common is that they were not written to be national anthems. They were written as patriotic songs during a specific time in that country's history, and then became so popular and beloved because of their high quality that they transcended the historical moment and became timeless.

The SSB does fit into this category, and this makes it better than 80% of national anthems, which are just "O country you are a beautiful country". But the USA not only can do better, it has done better.