Author Topic: restarting other sports  (Read 5426 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: restarting other sports
« Reply #150: July 18, 2020, 07:00:05 PM »
Seems the same amount of travel to me. You will have 10 teams flying into Toronto and another 10 into Edmonton next week. All from different USA cities.  Versus about 10-12 teams flying into Toronto over two months.

You also have Toronto returning from the US...

It's all on one day for the NHL teams...and a second day to Edmonton for 8 of them after the first couple of weeks. 

Once they are in-country, they have locked out the US influence instead of having it spread over 2+ months.  They screen everyone coming into Canada on day 1 and put it on cruise control...

But I get where you are comin' from...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #151: July 18, 2020, 07:06:14 PM »
Seems the same amount of travel to me. You will have 10 teams flying into Toronto and another 10 into Edmonton next week. All from different USA cities.  Versus about 10-12 teams flying into Toronto over two months.

the Blue jays would have left for every away trip, some to hot zones and then returned home

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #152: July 18, 2020, 07:06:16 PM »
You also have Toronto returning from the US...

It's all on one day for the NHL teams...and a second day to Edmonton for 8 of them after the first couple of weeks. 

Once they are in-country, they have locked out the US influence instead of having it spread over 2+ months.  They screen everyone coming into Canada on day 1 and put it on cruise control...

But I get where you are comin' from...
I think it’s all fairly low risk. Groups of people being tested frequently and hopefully staying in their hotels with meals brought in. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #153: July 18, 2020, 07:06:56 PM »
the Blue jays would have left for every away trip, some to hot zones and then returned home
Got it. 

I just think if it was hockey doing it that way they would have granted the exemption.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154: July 18, 2020, 07:54:57 PM »

You have them all arriving in Canada at once. You test everyone to make sure they are negative. The they are only traveling around Canada.

For baseball, you would have people coming in and out of the United States. Much more dangerous. It’s not just the amount of travel, it’s where you’re traveling to. 

The United States is one of the largest hotspots on earth for infection. If I am a politician in another country, there is no way I would grant an exemption for baseball.

I think there is a saying about chickens and roosting that applies here.  Or is it reaping and sowing?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #155: July 18, 2020, 08:03:19 PM »
You have them all arriving in Canada at once. You test everyone to make sure they are negative. The they are only traveling around Canada.

For baseball, you would have people coming in and out of the United States. Much more dangerous. It’s not just the amount of travel, it’s where you’re traveling to. 

The United States is one of the largest hotspots on earth for infection. If I am a politician in another country, there is no way I would grant an exemption for baseball.

I think there is a saying about chickens and roosting that applies here.  Or is it reaping and sowing?

You still have probably about 1000 people traveling to Canada next week from US cities including hotspots in Texas and California and Arizona for hockey that would not be traveling to Toronto for baseball.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156: July 18, 2020, 08:14:19 PM »
You still have probably about 1000 people traveling to Canada next week from US cities including hotspots in Texas and California and Arizona for hockey that would not be traveling to Toronto for baseball.

Yeah, but they are getting tested before leaving and getting tested on arrival. One entry. For baseball you have multiple teams coming and going including The blue jays who will have to enter the US on every road trip. Over 4 months. It’s the back and forth that’s dangerous. Not the number of proper.

One of my friends recently had a father who passed away (not from COVID) in Canada. He couldn’t go to the funeral or to just be with his mom. If they didn’t make an exception for him, they shouldn’t do it for back and forth baseball travel.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #157: July 18, 2020, 08:30:02 PM »
Yeah, but they are getting tested before leaving and getting tested on arrival. One entry. For baseball you have multiple teams coming and going including The blue jays who will have to enter the US on every road trip. Over 4 months. It’s the back and forth that’s dangerous. Not the number of proper.

One of my friends recently had a father who passed away (not from COVID) in Canada. He couldn’t go to the funeral or to just be with his mom. If they didn’t make an exception for him, they shouldn’t do it for back and forth baseball travel.
Won’t the MLB teams all be tested too? 

They love hockey. Baseball is not important to them. That’s the real difference.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #158: July 18, 2020, 09:24:22 PM »
Won’t the MLB teams all be tested too? 

They love hockey. Baseball is not important to them. That’s the real difference.

I think the bubble approach is the real difference...the NHL likely wouldn't get a pass to fly in and out over the next 3 months either...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #159: July 18, 2020, 09:31:54 PM »
I think the bubble approach is the real difference...the NHL likely wouldn't get a pass to fly in and out over the next 3 months either...
Yea. The bubble makes sense. Unless you are the NBA and doing it in Florida.  I think it would have made more sense for MLB to restart in just a few cities. And ones in the north. Won’t be good for the Nats or any other team to travel to Miami. You know a good portion of the hotel workers must have it.

As a final note I will just say that public health official in the City of Toronto and Ontario province thought it was safe enough.  Overruled by their federal government. So I would say that it’s not that clear cut of a difference.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #160: July 18, 2020, 10:07:40 PM »
Toronto denied MLB home games...

Let them play in Baltimore? It's been quite a few years since they've had a major league caliber team.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #161: July 18, 2020, 11:07:22 PM »
Let them play in Baltimore? It's been quite a few years since they've had a major league caliber team.

The Blue Jays can play at Nats park and the Nats can play in Fredericksburg

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #163: July 19, 2020, 12:30:07 PM »
https://www.hockeyinsiders.net/articles/breaking-nine-boston-bruins-now-labelled-unfit-to-/

So based on reading some more about it, Pastrank and Case were originally sidelined but Pastrnak's agent said he did not have the virus.  Sounds like they all were in contact with someone who is positive and have to pass some additional tests.  Boston may be late to the show.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #164: July 19, 2020, 02:04:36 PM »
So based on reading some more about it, Pastrank and Case were originally sidelined but Pastrnak's agent said he did not have the virus.  Sounds like they all were in contact with someone who is positive and have to pass some additional tests.  Boston may be late to the show.

It's just all so stoopid...

...and watching crowdless games is a total snooze...like watching the Rays or Marlins games...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #165: July 19, 2020, 02:13:48 PM »

...and watching crowdless games is a total snooze...like watching the Rays or Marlins games...

I didn’t mind the English Premier League matches. I thought they were well done.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #166: July 19, 2020, 02:48:53 PM »
https://www.hockeyinsiders.net/articles/breaking-nine-boston-bruins-now-labelled-unfit-to-/
that's weird because Boston has pretty good overall Covid numbers now (low infection rates, good testing, low hospitalization . . .).  I can't imagine they ate themselves out of shape and can't skate, so it has to  be the virus.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #167: July 19, 2020, 02:49:59 PM »
I'd say Marchand but he had it early on, I think.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #168: July 19, 2020, 03:06:59 PM »
I didn’t mind the English Premier League matches. I thought they were well done.

I'll grant you that...soccer seems to do OK with this...but I'm not much of a soccer fan so it's just background noise anyway since I can't understand the announcers either...  ;)

Funny...when we were in London 4 years ago...the missus got hooked on soccer games on the telly...she just loved it...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #169: July 19, 2020, 03:07:33 PM »
I'd say Marchand but he had it early on, I think.

So you're sayin' he licked it?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #170: July 19, 2020, 03:28:16 PM »

Maybe in hockey they can get some of the guys not playing to bang the glass.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #171: July 19, 2020, 09:26:07 PM »
No crowds, they should embrace it. No piped in noise. Let's hear what the players say on the field. Mic up each base.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172: July 19, 2020, 09:33:30 PM »
I'll grant you that...soccer seems to do OK with this...but I'm not much of a soccer fan so it's just background noise anyway since I can't understand the announcers either...  ;)

Funny...when we were in London 4 years ago...the missus got hooked on soccer games on the telly...she just loved it...

My wife was the same. Saw Arsenal/Chelsea and loved it.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #173: July 20, 2020, 05:43:37 PM »
NBA reports 0 positive results