Author Topic: restarting other sports  (Read 5413 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: restarting other sports
« Reply #25: May 14, 2020, 07:40:01 PM »
That’s going to devastate Bristol- when we lived there, that seemed like the event that sustained the town

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #26: May 14, 2020, 07:51:22 PM »
That’s going to devastate Bristol- when we lived there, that seemed like the event that sustained the town

The NASCAR appeal is down everywhere, I think even Bristol reduced their seating...but they would be devastated regardless with no fans...though the NASCAR crews and TV would have brought in some money, no doubt...

I was looking forward to watching Darlington this weekend.  It's one of the tracks I've driven, and I found it the most difficult of those...

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #27: May 14, 2020, 08:26:17 PM »
The NASCAR appeal is down everywhere, I think even Bristol reduced their seating...but they would be devastated regardless with no fans...though the NASCAR crews and TV would have brought in some money, no doubt...

I was looking forward to watching Darlington this weekend.  It's one of the tracks I've driven, and I found it the most difficult of those...

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #28: May 15, 2020, 11:21:18 AM »
Fauci says the virus will determine if there's in-person football in the fall:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/11/nfl-season-dr-fauci-coronavirus-fmia-peter-king/

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #29: May 15, 2020, 11:23:00 AM »
Fauci says the virus will determine if there's in-person football in the fall:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/11/nfl-season-dr-fauci-coronavirus-fmia-peter-king/
No. Actually money will. Same with schools.  Fauci did his job but no one is going to listen to him anymore. And especially not about sports. We’ve met the enemy and he is us. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #30: May 15, 2020, 11:23:48 AM »
No. Actually money will. Same with schools.  Fauci did his job but no one is going to listen to him anymore. And especially not about sports. We’ve met the enemy and he is us. 

Not unless congress passes a liability waiver - which it doesn’t seem inclined to do

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #31: May 15, 2020, 11:26:58 AM »
Not unless congress passes a liability waiver - which it doesn’t seem inclined to do

Roger Goodell doing his best Robert Duvall impression:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #32: May 15, 2020, 11:28:55 AM »
Roger Goodell doing his best Robert Duvall impression:

If you’re a player with a guaranteed contract and they as for an additional waiver,  do you sign or do you laugh and tell them you’ll play under the contract you signed? Even if you do sign a waiver, how do the teams’ workers comp carriers react (in most states you can’t sign away those protection) 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #33: May 15, 2020, 11:30:57 AM »
So UFC fighters will fight but football players will not play?  It’s probably safer than going into an office building or a restaurant. 

Basically businesses will be opening everywhere. People are going to have to take their chances.  Everyone will not be sued.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #34: May 15, 2020, 11:37:05 AM »
So UFC fighters will fight but football players will not play?  It’s probably safer than going into an office building or a restaurant. 
Two plus a ref in the ring at a time, both tested leading up to and immediately before vs two whole teams plus staffs plus refs - seems slightly different
Basically businesses will be opening everywhere. People are going to have to take their chances.  Everyone will not be sued.

Everyone won’t, but I’m sure worker’s compensation carriers will see more claims and if tracing gets good enough, the businesses where people catch it sure as hell will. Do you really think that the big class action forms hearing about lack of PPE at businesses aren’t already drafting complaints and looking for lead plaintiffs

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #35: May 15, 2020, 11:40:10 AM »
Two plus a ref in the ring at a time, both tested leading up to and immediately before vs two whole teams plus staffs plus refs - seems slightly different
Everyone won’t, but I’m sure worker’s compensation carriers will see more claims and if tracing gets good enough, the businesses where people catch it sure as hell will. Do you really think that the big class action forms hearing about lack of PPE at businesses aren’t already drafting complaints and looking for lead plaintiffs
I don’t think courts will be that sympathetic to those sorts of lawsuits given the circumstances.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #36: May 15, 2020, 11:40:45 AM »

I like tihs new tune that you're singing.  Sounds like a tune I was singing weeks ago that you didn't like.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #37: May 15, 2020, 11:47:02 AM »
I like tihs new tune that you're singing.  Sounds like a tune I was singing weeks ago that you didn't like.
It was always a matter of time. We were talking about football in the fall. That’s a ways off.

Went to the beach last weekend.  For now I will avoid restaurants and other closed in spaces.  Will where a mask when around people.  I don’t plan to be running into Walmart with thousands of others for the Black Friday specials. I’m also lucky in that I don’t have to work anymore. Office buildings are scary.  Anytime I got a cold or the flu it was either someone at work was sick or the kids brought it home from school. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #38: May 15, 2020, 11:47:43 AM »
I don’t think courts will be that sympathetic to those sorts of lawsuits given the circumstances.

12 circuits and 50 states plus dc- all it takes is one. I doubt courts (at least not all of them) will be sympathetic to businesses not providing PPE to employees or not taking adequate steps to protect customers. We’ll find out soon- there are already advertisements for people who lost loved ones in nursing homes

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #39: May 15, 2020, 11:57:17 AM »
12 circuits and 50 states plus dc- all it takes is one. I doubt courts (at least not all of them) will be sympathetic to businesses not providing PPE to employees or not taking adequate steps to protect customers. We’ll find out soon- there are already advertisements for people who lost loved ones in nursing homes
We will see. Always lots of work for the lawyers.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #40: May 15, 2020, 11:58:55 AM »
We will see. Always lots of work for the lawyers.

Firms are cancelling summer programs, cutting salary, and laying off staff as fast as they can get away with- I’m sure the defense bar will call it frivolous while thanking god for the billable hours

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #41: May 17, 2020, 11:28:31 AM »
https://sports.nbcsports.com/2020/05/17/nascar-golf-bundesliga-return-live-full-sports-schedule/

Sunday, May 17, 2020 live sports schedule

Bundesliga Soccer matches
12:00 p.m. ET: Union Berlin v. Bayern Munich (Fox Sports 1)

Golf
2:00 p.m. ET: TaylorMade Driving Relief charity skins match – Rory McIlroy and Dustin Johnson vs. Rickie Fowler and Matt Wolff
TV: NBC, GOLF Channel, NBCSN - Live stream: PGA TOUR LIVE , GOLFPASS and GOLF Channel

NASCAR
3:30 p.m. ET: NASCAR Cup Series race The Real Heroes 400 at Darlington (FOX, FOX Sports App)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #42: May 17, 2020, 12:27:03 PM »
Dortmund yesterday without fans was disconcerting

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #45: May 22, 2020, 06:41:15 PM »
That gave me a good chuckle

It amazes me that every sports league is tryin' to shove 2 pounds of crap into a 1 pound bag. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #46: May 22, 2020, 06:44:11 PM »
It amazes me that every sports league is tryin' to shove 2 pounds of crap into a 1 pound bag.
If the Flyers or Caps win I won’t cate. No asterisk. I’m just delighted that the Pens will have to face Carey Price in the first round. I can hear them whining already.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #48: May 23, 2020, 04:00:00 PM »
NBA is negotiating with Disney.  They would use the Disney Wide World of Sports Complex which must have some NBA courts.  Or I suppose they could just put down new courts. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #49: May 23, 2020, 05:38:00 PM »
NBA is negotiating with Disney.  They would use the Disney Wide World of Sports Complex which must have some NBA courts.  Or I suppose they could just put down new courts. 
Space Jam 2?