Author Topic: Let us know you are OK (or not) if you haven't posted in a while  (Read 22281 times)

Offline USF_Football

Alive and well in San Antonio, TX, sporting Nationals gear every other day of the week. Love seeing Astros fans and chatting them up. My father landed in the ER in Prince William Hospital yesterday afternoon (unexpected). DKA, incoherent... not a good situation as he fell off the bed and my mom couldn't get him off of the floor. He tested negative for COVID last night, but worried about him and his extended stay that is coming at the hospital. Seeing how some friends of mine on the East Coast have lost parents, I'm a little more pensive than I normally would be. My dad is my Opening Day buddy. My five year old daughter will soon be my traveling partner in crime, however Opening Day has always been me and my dad. Praying we'll get another one...

Offline Natsinpwc

Alive and well in San Antonio, TX, sporting Nationals gear every other day of the week. Love seeing Astros fans and chatting them up. My father landed in the ER in Prince William Hospital yesterday afternoon (unexpected). DKA, incoherent... not a good situation as he fell off the bed and my mom couldn't get him off of the floor. He tested negative for COVID last night, but worried about him and his extended stay that is coming at the hospital. Seeing how some friends of mine on the East Coast have lost parents, I'm a little more pensive than I normally would be. My dad is my Opening Day buddy. My five year old daughter will soon be my traveling partner in crime, however Opening Day has always been me and my dad. Praying we'll get another one...
Welcome back. Hope your Dad gets well soon.

Offline USF_Football

Just got into the office (roughly 1:45 AM CST). Dad called me from the hospital on my drive in to the office at the same time my older brother was texting me after getting back from the bar. Just glad to talk to him. Let's get back to baseball though. It's one of the few things that cuts through the divide in our country presently. Go Nationals!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
You know, even without considering all of the bickering over the CoCo, my interest in baseball has really dwindled down to nothing. Like, the Nats won the Series. The Strasburg Prophecy was fulfilled and many of the guys whose careers I followed closely back years ago when I was very active here and watched a lot of baseball got rings; guys like Zimmerman, Rendon, Scherzer, Parra, Howie, Suzuki, etc. To me, I guess the fight really is finished. I think I mentioned this back when it happened, but the Series win was like the culmination of my decade as a Nats fan and it brought back many great memories of time spent here... but it also had a lot of finality to it. Like the ultimate goal was reached and... that’s it. Baseball itself is now done in my mind. Mission accomplished. As such, I can’t bring myself to really truly care anymore.
I've been thinking about this a lot. My interest in the Caps dwindled to almost nothing last and this season. And couldn't determine if it was because I was waiting for the postseason, or the thrill of the chase was gone.

I wonder if it will be that way for baseball

Offline Five Banners

I've been thinking about this a lot. My interest in the Caps dwindled to almost nothing last and this season. And couldn't determine if it was because I was waiting for the postseason, or the thrill of the chase was gone.

I anticipate the current setup to be a matter of indifference on large measure, but when they start playing meaningful games in front of fans in future, there should be plenty to enjoy

Offline nfotiu

The NHL regular season is set up to be so boring.   I grew up in Canada with hockey definitely as my first love.  But a point system that encourages playing for a tie, and too many teams making the playoffs, just makes for a blah regular season.  I'm a much bigger fan of baseball as a sport.   I don't know if a 60 game season in empty stands is going to be all that engaging, but the NL East is set up to provide some good pennant races for the next few years.   

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
The NHL regular season is set up to be so boring.   I grew up in Canada with hockey definitely as my first love.  But a point system that encourages playing for a tie, and too many teams making the playoffs, just makes for a blah regular season.  I'm a much bigger fan of baseball as a sport.   I don't know if a 60 game season in empty stands is going to be all that engaging, but the NL East is set up to provide some good pennant races for the next few years.   

The NHL regular season does seem to focus largely on individual accomplishments.  Nice that the Caps have at least one fella who is always in the running for at least one of those.

My biggest gripe is the playoff seeding...they need to have it run 1 v 8 in each Conference and reseed after each round...I think you'll really see the overtime open up with points becoming even more important.  Right now, finishing 2nd or 3rd in your Division makes no big difference...

Offline Natsinpwc

The NHL regular season does seem to focus largely on individual accomplishments.  Nice that the Caps have at least one fella who is always in the running for at least one of those.

My biggest gripe is the playoff seeding...they need to have it run 1 v 8 in each Conference and reseed after each round...I think you'll really see the overtime open up with points becoming even more important.  Right now, finishing 2nd or 3rd in your Division makes no big difference...
I think they are going to reseed this year.  But don’t quote me on that. 

The do the divisions now for the rivalries I suppose. The reseeding makes more sense.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I think they are going to reseed this year.

Yes...if it gets that far...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
:nts:
time to start pulling yer weight around here!

Welcome back! I stopped by Cafe Amouri on a ride last Saturday but decided not to caf up because I had concern about fluid on the ride back

Offline Mattionals

It's good to see lots of folks who have been inactive. I've been lurking once in a while. It haven't come back to full status. As for me, working like crazy, working on the house, playing bass in the church band (over Zoom right now), and raising our 10 month old daughter has me exhausted.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
It's good to see lots of folks who have been inactive. I've been lurking once in a while. It haven't come back to full status. As for me, working like crazy, working on the house, playing bass in the church band (over Zoom right now), and raising our 10 month old daughter has me exhausted.

Good to hear from you Matt...  :thumbs:

Offline Mattionals

Good to hear from you Matt...  :thumbs:

Great to hear from you! I can't wait until this one is ready for her first ST game!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
:clap:
Great to hear from you! I can't wait until this one is ready for her first ST game!

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Congrat's, dad...  ;)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Doing ok.
Go to DC one week; training at home the following week.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Back at work five days a week?
Doing ok.
Go to DC one week; training at home the following week.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Yep!  Staggered so the whole office area isn’t in at once.
I may be in this week but others not
Some may work 3 days in 2 days telework!
I’m glad I’m not in charge of the schedule!
For awhile I was in 1 week, telework 2! 

My division has been pretty much deemed “essential”.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

(Image removed from quote.)

Omgosh she is precious!! Congrats!!!!

Offline stealyerbase

• YUMMY! Good for you too!
I'm still alive!!
 :koolaid:

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
bump.  Figuring we are starting to get folks to check back in after being out for a while.  Saw Welch posted yesterday, which is always good news.  Oh, and there's an "uncensored" version of this thread if you want to  post something that you don't want lurkers, etc... to see.

Offline RiotAct

Hello there.   Psyched for opening day.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Hello there.   Psyched for opening day.
great to have you back