Author Topic: So will there be a 2020 season?  (Read 38612 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: So will there be a 2020 season?
« Reply #1025: July 28, 2020, 12:22:48 PM »
[...]The NBA has handled this so much better. I know they have less players and teams, but at least you feel like they had some plans in place.

Actually the NBA and MLB have exactly the same number of clubs (30); fewer players in the NBA because of a lower roster limit.

I do agree though that the NBA handled this better than MLB and the MLBPA, who did little more than throw Twitter grenades at each other all through the spring.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #1026: July 28, 2020, 12:24:08 PM »
I am a bit shocked baseball didn't have a plan for this when it happened. We knew it would eventually hit a team hard. MLB just seems shocked and is leaving it to individual teams to figure it out.

The NBA has handled this so much better. I know they have less players and teams, but at least you feel like they had some plans in place.

To be fair though, the biggest difference between the NBA and the NHL compared to MLB and the upcoming NFL season is that they are playing in isolated bubbles. There is no travel, and strict rules about going anywhere outside of the hotel/venues.

They can do this because the NBA and NHL already finished their regular seasons before the outbreak.

Unfortunately, MLB and the NFL can't play a whole season in a bubble. I don't see any way they possibly can. The players alone wouldn't abide by living in a bubble for a full season.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #1027: July 28, 2020, 12:34:25 PM »
I am hearing that MLB Network is reporting that the Nationals have refused to travel to Miami for their series this weekend?

Edit:

https://dknation.draftkings.com/mlb/2020/7/28/21345212/washington-nationals-vs-miami-marlins-covid-19-players-vote-miami

Report: Nationals players vote to not play in Miami this weekend

The Washington Nationals are scheduled to travel to South Florida this weekend face the Miami Marlins, but Nationals have a lot of players concerned about the Marlins recent Covid-19 outbreak. A “vast majority” of the roster has voted against going to Miami for the three-game series, according to The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal.

The Nationals players do not have final say on this. Major League Baseball will make the final determination, but the players’ concern about traveling would seemingly factor into the league’s decision
[/b]

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1028: July 28, 2020, 12:37:55 PM »
ESPN confirming. If mlb overrides I assume the team forfeits the games?

Offline hohoho

« Reply #1029: July 28, 2020, 12:40:06 PM »
I see the local CNN stooge is right on cue.
Because 150,000 deaths and counting is fake news and nothing to be concerned about, even if it were true because you know "only two" dead.
This country has less than 5% of the world's population and about 25% of cases and deaths. Why is that?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1030: July 28, 2020, 12:41:16 PM »
Going to ask folks to stay on baseball in this thread.  I plan on moving a lot of the non-baseball general stuff about dining and the like to a red loft thread, but I have to do that at night to sift through this with any sort of care.
Please do. 

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1031: July 28, 2020, 12:43:32 PM »

If MLB says in no uncertain terms 'the games will go on as scheduled' I can't see any other consequence.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1032: July 28, 2020, 12:44:14 PM »

That would be consistent with the most recent precedent of a pro team refusing to play a game. Old Chelsea will remember the details better than I will, but a few years ago in the WNBA, the Mystics were awarded a win by forfeit (I think in the playoffs, no less) when the Las Vegas Aces refused to play a game at the scheduled time after umpteen flights delays (WNBA teams do not use charter flights). Of course, the circumstances now are a bit different. I could see the league swapping home dates and having the Marlins play in DC this weekend and then the Nats play in Miami on a date originally scheduled to be up here, but whether the DC government will allow the Marlins into the city to play is another question as well.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1033: July 28, 2020, 12:47:25 PM »
[...]Old Chelsea will remember the details better than I will, but a few years ago in the WNBA, the Mystics were awarded a win by forfeit (I think in the playoffs, no less) when the Las Vegas Aces refused to play a game at the scheduled time after umpteen flights delays (WNBA teams do not use charter flights).[...]

It was regular season (3rd August 2018) but the Aces did indeed forfeit: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/24311430/wnba-aces-forfeit-game-mystics-was-canceled

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1034: July 28, 2020, 12:52:09 PM »

MLB may have to take stronger measures (suspending players for refusing to travel?) or this season looks even more like a joke when Miami is undefeated at home while playing zero home games. I don't think the Nats refusing to play is a precedent the league wants to set

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #1035: July 28, 2020, 12:54:59 PM »
I can't see how they could force them to play. Forfeiting a three game series right now could really hurt their chances for a repeat.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #1037: July 28, 2020, 12:59:23 PM »
I can't see how they could force them to play. Forfeiting a three game series right now could really hurt their chances for a repeat.
But this is the same commissioner that allowed Miami to play Sunday.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1038: July 28, 2020, 01:00:53 PM »
No Phillies have tested positive so far.  Not sure if they are out of the woods given the incubation period.  Today's game cancelled.  If they all continue to test negative it will show that it is very hard to catch it outside especially given the large numbers of Marlins who have it. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/phillies-covid-19-testing-results-phillies-yankees-game-tuesday-postponed

Can't blame the Nats for not wanting to go to Miami.  I really don't think the Marlins should be playing anyone for at least a week.  And there dumb behavior should have probably disqualified them for the season. 

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #1039: July 28, 2020, 01:06:13 PM »
Did I miss something. Didn’t the Yankees refuse to play in Philly last nite and are doing the same today. Game was officially postponed. Wouldn’t that be the same scenario for the Nats this weekend?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1040: July 28, 2020, 01:15:28 PM »
Did I miss something. Didn’t the Yankees refuse to play in Philly last nite and are doing the same today. Game was officially postponed. Wouldn’t that be the same scenario for the Nats this weekend?
I guess it’s not clear if they cancelled it before or after the Yanks protesting. But yes similar issue.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1041: July 28, 2020, 01:18:41 PM »

that would be logical, but they have to balance that out with Miami not being viable to play in for the foreseeable future. I think they have a few choices- every Miami series is away, it hurts their chances and turns the team into plague rats but it's harder for teams to refuse, postponing the series, but then the season starts looking ridiculous when everyone of their home series is postponed, making the other teams forfeit, but then the season looks like a joke or finding a way to force teams to play in Miami. All of the options suck, but MLB walked right into this by going ahead with the season.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1042: July 28, 2020, 01:20:05 PM »
How many games can be postponed in the first week without affecting getting in the whole season.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1043: July 28, 2020, 01:24:44 PM »
How many games can be postponed in the first week without affecting getting in the whole season.

It will be interesting if the Nats hold another vote and say that, in addition to not traveling to Miami, we're not getting on the same field with them...

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when those votes are taken...

Zim and Ross certainly made the right decision...IHMO, anyway...

Offline tenken627

« Reply #1044: July 28, 2020, 01:26:55 PM »
Yeah, it's a tough spot for MLB. A spot of their own doing, but a tough one nonetheless.

You can force your defending champions to play or forfeit. Or you can acquiesce to them and potentially every other team and continue allowing teams to dictate the schedule and travel and games as they please to you instead of the other way around. And also the small hurdle of finally admitting that you may have been wrong.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1045: July 28, 2020, 01:29:33 PM »
Yeah, it's a tough spot for MLB. A spot of their own doing, but a tough one nonetheless.

You can force your defending champions to play or forfeit. Or you can acquiesce to them and potentially every other team and continue allowing teams to dictate the schedule and travel and games to you instead of the other way around. And also the small hurdle of finally admitting that you may have been wrong.

The MLBPA was on board with this plan...they share the blame for whatever consequences there may be in all of this...

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1046: July 28, 2020, 01:47:59 PM »
Removed the politics & bickering.  The two primary offenders have been muted for 48 hours.  I only deleted other posts quoting or responding to them, but I may issue mutes for everyone who participates in any form next time, so please stop freaking up the soup.  If you see politics, report it and move on.  I have no more patience for this and will not be wasting my time on nuance.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1047: July 28, 2020, 01:54:50 PM »
The MLBPA was on board with this plan...they share the blame for whatever consequences there may be in all of this...
Yea, they do.  They didn't want a bubble. 

Offline tenken627

« Reply #1048: July 28, 2020, 02:10:45 PM »
No Phillies have tested positive so far.  Not sure if they are out of the woods given the incubation period.  Today's game cancelled.  If they all continue to test negative it will show that it is very hard to catch it outside especially given the large numbers of Marlins who have it. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/phillies-covid-19-testing-results-phillies-yankees-game-tuesday-postponed

Can't blame the Nats for not wanting to go to Miami.  I really don't think the Marlins should be playing anyone for at least a week.  And there dumb behavior should have probably disqualified them for the season. 

You called it:

https://www.ajc.com/news/national-world/breaking-fauci-says-marlins-virus-outbreak-could-endanger-mlb-season/IJJYJXUV5VFLVCNVL4ZSNFJCUI/

BREAKING: Miami Marlins temporarily postpone season for COVID-19 testing

Offline tenken627

« Reply #1049: July 28, 2020, 02:14:06 PM »
I guess this mean the Nats will have a full 3 days this weekend + off day Monday of no games?