Author Topic: So will there be a 2020 season?  (Read 37831 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: So will there be a 2020 season?
« Reply #1001: July 27, 2020, 08:46:06 PM »
Is anyone sane dining in restaurants at this point?

lol yes

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1002: July 27, 2020, 10:42:17 PM »
lol yes

I question the same part for anyone choosing to dine inside

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1003: July 27, 2020, 11:00:20 PM »
Given what we know, eating inside a restaurant seems particularly risky. Outside, not as much.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #1004: July 27, 2020, 11:13:28 PM »
Given what we know, eating inside a restaurant seems particularly risky. Outside, not as much.
Living in Richmond, we've gone out a couple times inside.  My wife won't sit outside when it's over 90 :-(   

I have no idea if we're being safe for real, but it feels ok by my amateur assessment.  All servers in masks.  All customers wear masks to the table and if they leave.  Tables are cleaner that they were when they were new and all well over 10 feet apart.   My take is far safer than going to the grocery store. 

I shamefully admit that riskiest thing we do is go to my son's travel ball tournaments.   Although it's been several weeks with no outbreaks I've heard of, so maybe outside in the hot weather is not a real risk.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1005: July 27, 2020, 11:26:52 PM »
I question the same part for anyone choosing to dine inside
Yesterday we got take out at a fast food restaurant. They got the order wrong but insisted on taking the boxes with the food back inside. Wasn’t thinking clearly or would not have handed back to them. Wife asked the lady why she was not wearing mask. Lady said she had her mask but people could not hear her when she has it on. We decided not to eat the food at that time and microwaved it later at home.  Still not comfortable eating inside a restaurant. Seems difficult to know how good the air circulation is or if the person cleaning the table didn’t cough all over it. And who knows what happens in the kitchen.  With take out you can nuke it back at home.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1006: July 27, 2020, 11:39:27 PM »
Rob Manfred and the MLB owners.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #1007: July 27, 2020, 11:48:46 PM »
I admit that my view is forced to look a certain way as a high risk individual (Type 1 diabetic) as I can not really go out anywhere anyways right now. I'll also admit that I'm just really frustrated that I'm stuck at home for god knows how long because certain people just don't really care. We could be like everywhere else in the world where its been contained by now. But we are not.

But I am enjoying baseball to pass the time right now, its just a level of concern that maybe this wasn't well thought out as well as it could be.

I've yet to see any conclusive evidence that people with T1D, if well controlled & otherwise healthy, are at a higher risk.  That said, do whatever you feel you need to do to stay safe.  This crap will be over at some point.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #1008: July 28, 2020, 12:25:56 AM »
I've yet to see any conclusive evidence that people with T1D, if well controlled & otherwise healthy, are at a higher risk.  That said, do whatever you feel you need to do to stay safe.  This crap will be over at some point.

I've been uncontrolled for awhile that led to complications. Its been 10 years since I've been diagnosed, at the age of 29, and at that point I just kept wanting to do what I've always wanted to do. I guess its a little different being diagnosed at such a late age compared to most type 1 who usually find out as juveniles and grew up knowing the proper way to live with it and with insulin. I hated how insulin made me feel. I hated how I couldn't do things that I loved doing my whole life. i hated that I couldnt enjoy eating foods that I loved. I hated so much, and in the end I just didn't give a f.

Kept going out, kept drinking, kept smoking and possibly partied too much. Kept eating pizza with my friends like ive always done. Only recently after being uncontrolled for so long and being hospitalized many times over have I quit a lot of things from my life and started insulin treatments regularly, but the damage has already been done and health has deteriorated.

I guess I was no different than these people who refuse to socially distance and wear masks. I just didn't want to hear it at that time.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #1009: July 28, 2020, 06:44:05 AM »
It's funny. I sense some excitement over the possibility that they'll want to now try and cancel the season.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1010: July 28, 2020, 07:10:27 AM »
It's funny. I sense some excitement over the possibility that they'll want to now try and cancel the season.

Excitement?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1011: July 28, 2020, 08:12:51 AM »
[...]When do the Nats visit Miami?

31st July/1st-2nd August (i.e. this coming weekend)
18th-19th-20th September

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1012: July 28, 2020, 08:17:01 AM »

I haven't had a restaurant dinner since well before COVID, but there is a coffee place in my neighbourhood that I pop into every so often; when my sister and niece join me Sunday mornings we sit at the back of the place (more than 6ft from the nearest table), and when I'm by myself I usually sit at an outdoor table.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1013: July 28, 2020, 08:19:30 AM »
If MLB can't hack it, the NFL is also in deep trouble.

Tennis (especially singles) has probably the best social distancing of any sport, and yet they cancelled Wimbledon (and the Citi tournament in DC).

If tennis can't hack it, no sport can hack it.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #1014: July 28, 2020, 08:32:04 AM »

We went to the Inn at Little Washington this weekend. I admit the idea has crossed the back of my mind about whether it was wise, although I have no qualms about their cleaning efforts nor about the staff's commitment to keeping things healthy (all staff wore masks, tables were spaced out and those famous mannequins were at the unused ones, etc.). We wore masks whenever we were in public spaces indoors or near other people outdoors, though obviously we had to take them off to eat dinner. But we decided it was worth it. It was a trip for our 10th anniversary and we didn't want to spend that occasion at home. The Inn at Little Washington is in many ways about as ideal as you can get for that sort of occasion under these circumstances because it's not a huge place and the number of people is thus inherently limited.

Now, on the way down there we stopped for lunch at Foster's Grille on Route 211 in Warrenton, mainly because dinner in Little Washington was at 8:15 PM and we didn't want to go the whole afternoon on empty stomachs. While every other table was blocked off and several big signs on the door said masks were mandatory, I noted the majority of people coming in the door did not wear masks. We didn't get near anyone else, but still....on the whole, I'm more concerned in the back of my mind about the time we spent there than about the time at the Inn at Little Washington. I guess we'll see in the next week or two.

These are the only two times we've eaten at a restaurant since the pandemic began in March. We've ordered delivery several times (usually pizza, but once from Osteria Marzano for my wife's birthday in May) and we've gotten carryout a couple of times (Roy Rogers a few times, and then dinner from Osteria Marzano a week or two ago because we decided carryout would be a better option than Uber Eats—and it was), but we hadn't eaten out anywhere. You can't do much better than the Inn at Little Washington for your first "dining out" trip after the pandemic ("dining out" to distinguish from fast food).

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #1015: July 28, 2020, 08:55:50 AM »
We have eaten out, indoor and outdoor dining, since it was allowed in our phases in both NY and Conn. We wear masks and eat at places trying to follow the rules.

It's about minimizing risk, not eliminating it for us.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1016: July 28, 2020, 10:26:44 AM »
Going to ask folks to stay on baseball in this thread.  I plan on moving a lot of the non-baseball general stuff about dining and the like to a red loft thread, but I have to do that at night to sift through this with any sort of care. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1017: July 28, 2020, 10:35:02 AM »
Going to ask folks to stay on baseball in this thread.  I plan on moving a lot of the non-baseball general stuff about dining and the like to a red loft thread, but I have to do that at night to sift through this with any sort of care.

I posted my comment before I saw yours. Baseball only here, sorry.

Offline OldChelsea

Offline 3bside

« Reply #1020: July 28, 2020, 10:49:25 AM »
4 more Marlins test positive, so they're up to 15. With Baltimore's games cancelled, Nats will be the first team to play in Miami. If I'm Davey, I'm saying no.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #1021: July 28, 2020, 10:51:56 AM »
ESPN has an article saying no Phillies have tested positive after the Marlins series. While on its face that's a promising statement, haven't they said the virus can take as long as two weeks to incubate? You don't necessarily get exposed and immediately test positive (sort of reminds me how way back in the first grade someone in my classroom got chicken pox, and while most of us then got it, we didn't all get it at once).

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1022: July 28, 2020, 11:07:51 AM »
ESPN has an article saying no Phillies have tested positive after the Marlins series. While on its face that's a promising statement, haven't they said the virus can take as long as two weeks to incubate? You don't necessarily get exposed and immediately test positive (sort of reminds me how way back in the first grade someone in my classroom got chicken pox, and while most of us then got it, we didn't all get it at once).

I imagine they were tested Sunday. There is almost zero chance that they would test positive based on exposures Saturday or Sunday.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #1023: July 28, 2020, 11:54:18 AM »

We can look at the Soto timeline as far as perils of not-so-timely tests etc.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #1024: July 28, 2020, 12:18:30 PM »
I am a bit shocked baseball didn't have a plan for this when it happened. We knew it would eventually hit a team hard. MLB just seems shocked and is leaving it to individual teams to figure it out.

The NBA has handled this so much better. I know they have less players and teams, but at least you feel like they had some plans in place.