Author Topic: So will there be a 2020 season?  (Read 38531 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: So will there be a 2020 season?
« Reply #975: July 27, 2020, 03:49:55 PM »
I can't believe MLB is so unprepared for this. It should be so much simpler. The Marlins DL the guys who tested positive. Do rapid testing for the rest of the players (in addition to the usual 2-day result stuff) so you have a rough idea of how much it spread. Rapid-test the Phillies. This is why you have a 60-man roster, right? We lost a series because Soto couldn't play.

Manfred had to know this was going to happen, letting it just sit out there while every sports personality just tweets, "well, this is it!" is a terrible look. Manfred was so busy the last few months fighting to take as much money from the players as possible, he forgot to have a legitimate strategy for PR and crisis management.

Just total fools all over the place.
Completely agree.

I am not surprised by this Marlins news. I knew it was coming. Shocked MLB didn't have a communications plan ready versus silence.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #976: July 27, 2020, 03:52:20 PM »
Tell that to Chipper Jones. He was scared for his life and didn't even want to go to sleep while burning up for a week straight because he was scared that he would never wake up. It was that bad for him.
Near zero is not zero.

The risk factor for individuals under 40 is extremely low. Not low. A few will get sick, but it isn't as dangerous as it is for older Americans or those with underlying conditions.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #977: July 27, 2020, 03:55:01 PM »
Meanwhile, in the NFL, the Minnesota Vikings' Infection Control Officer has...wait for it...tested positive for COVID-19.

as bad as baseball is, every football team has multiple obese players. People are going to die if they go forward

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #978: July 27, 2020, 03:56:16 PM »
Near zero is not zero.

The risk factor for individuals under 40 is extremely low. Not low. A few will get sick, but it isn't as dangerous as it is for older Americans or those with underlying conditions.

how old do you think most managers are? Pitching coaches? Bench coaches? Umpires?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #979: July 27, 2020, 04:02:41 PM »
how old do you think most managers are? Pitching coaches? Bench coaches? Umpires?
No one knows the long term risks yet either.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #980: July 27, 2020, 04:04:38 PM »
I referenced that in my original post and I think it is a responsibility for off-field personnel to weigh their risk factors before signing on for the season.

Plenty of private businesses have voluntary return. It is important for individuals to judge their risk factors.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #981: July 27, 2020, 04:04:39 PM »
Completely agree.

I am not surprised by this Marlins news. I knew it was coming. Shocked MLB didn't have a communications plan ready versus silence.

I wonder what the response would've been if it was the Dodgers or Yankees instead of the Marlins.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #982: July 27, 2020, 04:20:21 PM »
Near zero is not zero.

But like traffic, all it takes is one incident to mess the whole system up. You think if a player died, even though it was 1 out of hundreds, that people wouldn't be upset since it was easily preventable?

And don't those under-40 players also have families and friends that they talk to? Who could also infect others?

"Oh it's ok that Bobby died after catching it through his daughter's friend that lives with a MLB player, because Bobby has nothing to do with baseball."

And that's not even mentioning the fact that the percentage of under-40 hospitalizations has gone up as we speak.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #983: July 27, 2020, 04:22:48 PM »
If MLB can't hack it, the NFL is also in deep trouble.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #984: July 27, 2020, 04:35:52 PM »
If MLB can't hack it, the NFL is also in deep trouble.

The only reason there would be an NFL season is because an unholy alliance of rich bastards in New York and knuckle-draggers from the between the Appalachians and Rockies couldn't handle the thought.   

Of course, the biggest reason we're months behind the examples set by other countries that have the resources to handle this is also brought to you by that same alliance.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #985: July 27, 2020, 04:49:36 PM »
Completely agree.

The fact that they don’t seem to have even a boilerplate press release ready for this is really indicative of the level of incompetence we’re dealing with here.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #986: July 27, 2020, 04:50:20 PM »
The only reason there would be an NFL season is because an unholy alliance of rich bastards in New York and knuckle-draggers from the between the Appalachians and Rockies couldn't handle the thought.   

Of course, the biggest reason we're months behind the examples set by other countries that have the resources to handle this is also brought to you by that same alliance.
Apparently the Marlins knew Sunday their starting pitcher and two others had tested positive.
So they decided to play anyway.
Now at least 14 in all test positive.

Americans, we have our rights.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #987: July 27, 2020, 04:51:34 PM »
I wonder what the response would've been if it was the Dodgers or Yankees instead of the Marlins.

I was also thinking this. I think it would be taken much more seriously.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #988: July 27, 2020, 04:51:38 PM »
Near zero is not zero.

True, but younger and healthier people have had serious cases and have died.

Offline KV

• Believe!
« Reply #989: July 27, 2020, 04:52:23 PM »
I give the season another 10 days before it’s cancelled for good. I also doubt there will be an NFL season at all.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #990: July 27, 2020, 04:53:36 PM »
Easy to do when you're so transparent...guess I need to send you a bill...

Nah, just save yourself some aggravation and put me back on ignore.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #991: July 27, 2020, 04:58:39 PM »
I give the season another 10 days before it’s cancelled for good. I also doubt there will be an NFL season at all.

My brother is certain the season will be cancelled before the calendar rolls over to August.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #992: July 27, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »
The fact that they don’t seem to have even a boilerplate press release ready for this is really indicative of the level of incompetence we’re dealing with here.

Good point...

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #993: July 27, 2020, 05:13:17 PM »
C19ff.net

Offline catocony

« Reply #994: July 27, 2020, 06:08:39 PM »
Tell it to the owners. They don't want minor leagues. What they really want is for college baseball to be the minor leagues.

But they want to cut the minor leagues as much as possible. It's why they were already talking about it prior to COVID. It's why they were quibbling over minor league pay. It's why the draft became 5 rounds and several ownership groups didn't want one at all.

They went to just 5 rounds of draft because they don't want to pay the high signing bonuses for rounds 6 and later vs. the signing bonus for a free agent.  They save a lot of money in a survival of the fittest amateur free agent pool.

They don't want to cut the number of minor league players, they want to consolidate the lower rungs of the pyramid to complex ball at the Florida and Arizona sites.  For the Nats, that would mean no more half-season rookie squad in the NY-PEN League, and maybe not even a SAL team in Hagerstown.  Everyone just plays in Florida for a few years until they're ready to move up to what's currently high-A ball.  The players don't like the conditions at a lot of the stadiums - like the Nats endured at the Pfitz, which was worse than a lot of college facilities.  Some rookie stadiums like Ripkin are nice, so Aberdeen would probably become a High A franchise for the O's or Nats or whoever. 

It's about money, but there's no way guys go straight from college to the majors.  The fact that teams go through 40-50 players a year also necessitates lower teams to simply store manpower in addition to honing skills. 

Plus the fact that most players do not go to college at all but are signed straight from high school or from the academies in the DR and other international spots. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #995: July 27, 2020, 06:12:09 PM »
But like traffic, all it takes is one incident to mess the whole system up. You think if a player died, even though it was 1 out of hundreds, that people wouldn't be upset since it was easily preventable?

And don't those under-40 players also have families and friends that they talk to? Who could also infect others?

"Oh it's ok that Bobby died after catching it through his daughter's friend that lives with a MLB player, because Bobby has nothing to do with baseball."

And that's not even mentioning the fact that the percentage of under-40 hospitalizations has gone up as we speak.
True, but younger and healthier people have had serious cases and have died.
You're right.

But the same arguments of "one is too many" and they should "under 40's can spread the disease" spread to reopening restaurants and non-essential retail stores. If you are against those re-openings, then I will tip my hat to you for your consistency and admit we just have different definitions of acceptable risk.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #996: July 27, 2020, 06:13:10 PM »
C19ff.net
You were expecting something different from a bunch of DC natives and aficionados.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #997: July 27, 2020, 06:18:03 PM »
You're right.

But the same arguments of "one is too many" and they should "under 40's can spread the disease" spread to reopening restaurants and non-essential retail stores. If you are against those re-openings, then I will tip my hat to you for your consistency and admit we just have different definitions of acceptable risk.

Is anyone sane dining in restaurants at this point?

Offline tenken627

« Reply #998: July 27, 2020, 06:36:23 PM »
You're right.

I admit that my view is forced to look a certain way as a high risk individual (Type 1 diabetic) as I can not really go out anywhere anyways right now. I'll also admit that I'm just really frustrated that I'm stuck at home for god knows how long because certain people just don't really care. We could be like everywhere else in the world where its been contained by now. But we are not.

But I am enjoying baseball to pass the time right now, its just a level of concern that maybe this wasn't well thought out as well as it could be.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #999: July 27, 2020, 07:36:57 PM »
You were expecting something different from a bunch of DC natives and aficionados.
It's one thread specifically about whether the season will play out, and there was major news today that may affect that.  What do you expect?