Author Topic: So will there be a 2020 season?  (Read 37776 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: So will there be a 2020 season?
« Reply #175: May 19, 2020, 01:37:26 PM »
Anyone see this on the book of faces and just get confused. Almost if they are hoping to have a game by June 4th at Nats Park? I don’t see it happening.

https://facebook.com/events/s/may-19-home-opener-washington-/1798744676935188/?ti=icl
Must be true if it’s on Facebook. Zuckerberg would not allow any fake news.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #176: May 19, 2020, 05:14:17 PM »
Must be true if it’s on Facebook. Zuckerberg would not allow any fake news.

I’m just trying to be optimistic 😂

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #177: May 19, 2020, 05:29:00 PM »

I’m just trying to be optimistic 😂
Still time to get to the game. Meet me at the red loft.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #178: May 19, 2020, 05:36:16 PM »
Still time to get to the game. Meet me at the red loft.

Who is buying drinks? 🤣

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #179: May 19, 2020, 05:46:21 PM »

Who is buying drinks? 🤣
The WNFF Fund. I believe it received stimulus money. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #180: May 19, 2020, 05:51:47 PM »
Blake Snell has sure changed his tune from March.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status/1237808431999959041?s=20

Has he? He still doesnt seem that concerned about getting it. Seems like his bigger concern is the owners weaseling out of the deal they negotiated

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #181: May 19, 2020, 05:57:36 PM »
Has he? He still doesnt seem that concerned about getting it. Seems like his bigger concern is the owners weaseling out of the deal they negotiated
Wut? He said he doesn’t want to RISK HIS LIFE for pennies. In March he said no big deal if he gets it. What’s the risk? It’s no big deal.

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/05/rays-blake-snell-doubles-down-on-controversial-remarks/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #182: May 19, 2020, 09:20:17 PM »
The WNFF Fund. I believe it received stimulus money. 
CHIEF!!  CHIEF!!! We missed a scam! Did you get in the PPP loan application to cover our server fees?  All you'd have to do is use 75% of the money to cover our payroll, and it'd turn into a grant. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #183: May 20, 2020, 07:10:34 AM »
Wut? He said he doesn’t want to RISK HIS LIFE for pennies. In March he said no big deal if he gets it. What’s the risk? It’s no big deal.

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/05/rays-blake-snell-doubles-down-on-controversial-remarks/
Strange, because I believe he has a lung condition.

The bigger issue is that the owners know theres no way to do this safely and are trying to win the PR battle.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #184: May 20, 2020, 08:52:31 AM »
Strange, because I believe he has a lung condition.

The bigger issue is that the owners know theres no way to do this safely and are trying to win the PR battle.
It might not have been safe for Big Ben to get a haircut either but he did it.

If guys like Snell keep talking that will help the owners win.  People have no sympathy for rich guys who will only make a few million when they have been laid off or wages cut.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #185: May 20, 2020, 09:06:12 AM »
The players should frame it like Doolittle has, worried about safety. But the owners are painting it as purely a money thing, hoping the players will cave.
I personally would not accept a further pay cut unless the owners showed their books.

It never ceases to amaze me how often the public resents the greedy millionaire players to side with the apparently benevolent billionaire owners

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #186: May 20, 2020, 09:13:33 AM »
The players should frame it like Doolittle has, worried about safety. But the owners are painting it as purely a money thing, hoping the players will cave.
I personally would not accept a further pay cut unless the owners showed their books.

It never ceases to amaze me how often the public resents the greedy millionaire players to side with the apparently benevolent billionaire owners
The owners have presented a plan which includes safety measures.  They should debate that.  If they don’t think it’s adequate say what the problems are. Keep the money issue separate.  No sport or any activity for that matter is going to be totally safe.  The original Arizona proposal was probably the best for safety but the players didn’t want that because they would be away from their families. 

I think the public see owners as businessmen who take risks and do thinking work.  Versus players who play the same games as you and I did for big money. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #187: May 20, 2020, 09:13:33 AM »
Jeff Passon was on Russilo's podcast discussing the proposed deal. He thinks there is so much ingrained bad blood and distrust that players would never agree to a revenue split and that ownership knows it's a non-starter and threw it out as a pr move. It's hard to understand why baseball ownership goes so out of their way to demonize players then wonders why they aren't popular marketable stars anymore. Compare it to basketball where the league and players are working together without damaging leaks to make each other look bad and the difference is stark

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #188: May 20, 2020, 09:18:16 AM »
Jeff Passon was on Russilo's podcast discussing the proposed deal. He thinks there is so much ingrained bad blood and distrust that players would never agree to a revenue split and that ownership knows it's a non-starter and threw it out as a pr move. It's hard to understand why baseball ownership goes so out of their way to demonize players then wonders why they aren't popular marketable stars anymore. Compare it to basketball where the league and players are working together without damaging leaks to make each other look bad and the difference is stark
Big difference is that in basketball and hockey the players have made almost all their salary already.

I guess there are different estimates on how much gate revenue contributes to total revenue but it’s soemthing. And it won’t be there. And there will be additional costs to the league and teams from increased safety measures. So why would they just pay players a pro rata share of their original salaries? 

The NBA and NHL and NFL are all going to be in the same boat for the coming year. No revenue from ticket sales.  It’s going to be the same kind of negotiations in every sport. 

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #190: May 20, 2020, 09:25:05 AM »
I guess there are different estimates on how much gate revenue contributes to total revenue but it’s soemthing. And it won’t be there. And there will be additional costs to the league and teams from increased safety measures. So why would they just pay players a pro rata share of their original salaries? 

Because that’s the deal they negotiated when this started, when everything they’re complaining about now was a known possibility. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #191: May 20, 2020, 09:31:20 AM »
Because that’s the deal they negotiated when this started, when everything they’re complaining about now was a known possibility.
Please read the Mlb trade rumors article. 

If the owners shut down for the season they will survive. Many of the players will be in deep trouble.  The owners have more leverage.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192: May 20, 2020, 09:36:50 AM »

It seems unbelievable that the owners did not consider the possibility that games would be played without fans when they made that original deal. The fact that they are claiming that to be the reason for further pay cuts probably ended any chance of a good faith negotiation.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #193: May 20, 2020, 09:37:08 AM »

If the owners shut down for the season they will survive. Many of the players will be in deep trouble.  The owners have more leverage.

An internal e-mail lays out facts favorable to the side releasing it!? That changes everything- I put as much stock in that as Boras leaking that this was discussed explicitly. No one knows what teams’ books really look like, we do know that some are levered to the hilt - maybe some bankruptcy sales are what the league needs to bring new blood into ownership. I doubt there is any chance the players agree to anything that relies on them accepting MLB/ownership accounting of revenues

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #194: May 20, 2020, 09:47:27 AM »
An internal e-mail lays out facts favorable to the side releasing it!? That changes everything- I put as much stock in that as Boras leaking that this was discussed explicitly. No one knows what teams’ books really look like, we do know that some are levered to the hilt - maybe some bankruptcy sales are what the league needs to bring new blood into ownership. I doubt there is any chance the players agree to anything that relies on them accepting MLB/ownership accounting of revenues
There are obviously clauses in the contract related to this. Obviously each side will interpret as they see fit.  I doubt the owners were dumb enough to leave themselves to pay out full salaries without full revenues. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #195: May 20, 2020, 09:50:18 AM »
After losing in this CBA, I doubt the MLBPA has much incentive to look stupid again. I think no season is starting to look likely

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #196: May 20, 2020, 09:59:43 AM »
After losing in this CBA, I doubt the MLBPA has much incentive to look stupid again. I think no season is starting to look likely
It’s possible. The pressure will come from the lower end players who really need the money.

I don’t see the NHL or NBA resuming either. Those guys got 85 percent of their pay. Why risk things for some playoff money.  Longer term with no fans likely for a while the whole economic structure has changed.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #197: May 20, 2020, 10:04:15 AM »
It’s possible. The pressure will come from the lower end players who really need the money.
I think at pro-rated, probably, but now you're talking about a fraction of half salary. If this was the NFL, sure, but most of these guys have had to live on minor league salaries before, I think they hold a stronger line.

I don’t see the NHL or NBA resuming either. Those guys got 85 percent of their pay. Why risk things for some playoff money.  Longer term with no fans likely for a while the whole economic structure has changed.

I think the NBA will end up at least having playoffs- it's easier for them to create a campus/bubble since really need less than 10 people per team and a gym. Disney is a major league partner and has the hotel and gym space sitting empty- I think that ends up happening. I also think that the players and league also have a better working relationship in general than baseball/football which probably helps when they go to hammer out details

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #198: May 20, 2020, 10:06:44 AM »
I think at pro-rated, probably, but now you're talking about a fraction of half salary. If this was the NFL, sure, but most of these guys have had to live on minor league salaries before, I think they hold a stronger line.

I think the NBA will end up at least having playoffs- it's easier for them to create a campus/bubble since really need less than 10 people per team and a gym. Disney is a major league partner and has the hotel and gym space sitting empty- I think that ends up happening. I also think that the players and league also have a better working relationship in general than baseball/football which probably helps when they go to hammer out details
I thought before the NBA would resume but the negotiations are going slow. Do they get to bring their families into the bubble? How do you keep everyone in the bubble. The hotel workers will be going back and forth to their homes. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #199: May 20, 2020, 10:07:14 AM »

So why are we siding against the players again?