Author Topic: So will there be a 2020 season?  (Read 38560 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: So will there be a 2020 season?
« Reply #50: April 09, 2020, 05:27:25 PM »
There are a lot of people who are forced by circumstance to work away from their family for part of the year.  I was pretty surprised that this was a big deal to them because they signed on for a traveling job

A huge portion of the CBA covers traveling arraignments (including days off and hotel quality)- that’s what they signed up for. It’s a moot point because this whole thing is probably nearly logistically impossible

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #51: April 09, 2020, 08:41:18 PM »
If you have a guaranteed salary regardless are you really going to leave your family to go live in a quarantine dorm for a few months? I don’t the the mlbpa says yes to this and they really don’t have much reason to do that
The deal the players and clubs worked out was part up front, and then rest based on how many games they play. It is in the players' financial interests to play as many games as possible.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #52: April 09, 2020, 08:46:02 PM »
The deal the players and clubs worked out was part up front, and then rest based on how many games they play. It is in the players' financial interests to play as many games as possible.

It depends on the player, if you’re a pitcher, especially an older pitcher- this has injury written all over it- abbreviated training before hand and games packed as closely as possible

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #54: April 10, 2020, 11:55:14 AM »
So what if professional sports are no longer commercially viable?

http://blogs.shu.edu/sportspoll/2020/04/09/nearly-3-of-4-americans-say-they-wont-attend-games-without-coronavirus-vaccine-developed/

As the 2018 flu vaccine was 40% effective overall and 25% effective against a particularly troublesome strain per CDC numbers, people need to be realistic about what any virus vaccine is going to offer. I hope people with compromised immune situations still take needed precautions and that all weigh public gatherings with common sense.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #55: April 10, 2020, 11:56:58 AM »

Offline imref

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

« Reply #57: April 10, 2020, 07:57:04 PM »
As the 2018 flu vaccine was 40% effective overall and 25% effective against a particularly troublesome strain per CDC numbers, people need to be realistic about what any virus vaccine is going to offer. I hope people with compromised immune situations still take needed precautions and that all weigh public gatherings with common sense.

A coronavirus vaccine should be different from a flu vaccine

Flu vaccines are based on predictions of what the next season’s flu is going to be and they’re produced in advance

A coronavirus vaccine would be only against coronavirus (or potentially against a major strain of coronavirus depending)

Conceptually it should be more effective- or rather- the best kind of vaccine would

« Reply #58: April 10, 2020, 07:59:45 PM »
way too much money at stake for that to happen.

The league has to be taking into account that average joes might not want to take grandpa and the kids to games in 2020

It’s really possible that there’s very little interest in going out to games, movies, street fairs or other crowded events even if they’re scheduled

If there’s a boomerang wave in aug or sept or oct that’s a potential shift in how generations of people want to spend their money (and how they personally decide to spend it)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #59: April 10, 2020, 10:05:14 PM »
This reminds me of the book Wonderful Life, which was about the amazing variety of life that once existed on earth, and how much of it was wiped out by unexpected and seemingly random events.

Could people re-thinking how they want to spend their money - because of a pause in business as usual, due to a virus, wipe out sports leagues?

The league has to be taking into account that average joes might not want to take grandpa and the kids to games in 2020

It’s really possible that there’s very little interest in going out to games, movies, street fairs or other crowded events even if they’re scheduled

If there’s a boomerang wave in aug or sept or oct that’s a potential shift in how generations of people want to spend their money (and how they personally decide to spend it)

Offline imref

« Reply #60: April 10, 2020, 10:40:32 PM »

Exactly.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #61: April 11, 2020, 10:25:17 AM »
People are so desperate for sports, come on. You think this is going to wipe out professional sports, a trillion-dollar industry and a major driver of culture in this country? OK.

Baseball is a sport for olds so I can see baseball taking a big hit but I think you all are ignoring that there are already loud voices for sports to come back sooner rather than later and the NFL Draft is going to be the biggest "virtual" sports event ever.

Offline imref

« Reply #62: April 11, 2020, 10:55:25 AM »
People are so desperate for sports, come on. You think this is going to wipe out professional sports, a trillion-dollar industry and a major driver of culture in this country? OK.

Baseball is a sport for olds so I can see baseball taking a big hit but I think you all are ignoring that there are already loud voices for sports to come back sooner rather than later and the NFL Draft is going to be the biggest "virtual" sports event ever.

I don't think people are going to attend live games until there's a vaccine or proven treatment.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #63: April 11, 2020, 10:58:24 AM »
I don't think people are going to attend live games until there's a vaccine or proven treatment.

I think you’re underestimating the it’s a hoax/I’m strong/won’t happen to me/I want to get it over with and be immune/1% is nothing portion of the population

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #64: April 11, 2020, 11:06:50 AM »
I think you’re underestimating the it’s a hoax/I’m strong/won’t happen to me/I want to get it over with and be immune/1% is nothing portion of the population
Are people going to stop going to the dentist? Doctor? Getting haircuts? Ordering take out?  Going to the office? They all have risks also. I really can’t remember ever thinking I caught a cold at a major event but I can remember thinking I caught it at work or a restaurant.  I know this is more contagious but at some point in time people will adjust.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #65: April 11, 2020, 11:07:41 AM »

You are correct. People want distractions.

Offline imref

« Reply #66: April 11, 2020, 11:08:03 AM »

Maybe, but the first time there's a case among a stadium worker, or fan at the game, there will be another round of shutdowns.  The more we learn about this thing, the more we hear about just how incredibly contagious it is.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #67: April 11, 2020, 12:24:48 PM »
I think attendance will take a long time to come back.  That'll put a premium on TV sports.  I imagine every league is going to try to put its games on in front of empty arenas.  The Big 5 conferences, too.  There will be even more money for the advertising because the audiences will be bigger.  Think of it this way: all those Sunday afternoon baseball games during good weather?  Remember how maybe you'd want to go to your kids soccer game, or go for a bike ride, or hit the farmer's market?  Well, those options aren't going to be available.  You will be a captive audience, and most everyone will want a break from the news. 

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #68: April 11, 2020, 02:12:55 PM »
Yeah, it's roughly 50% of the population (breaks down along party lines) but many of them will end up dead which will reduce the percentage.

« Reply #69: April 11, 2020, 02:37:18 PM »

In other news I learned today that the NFL broadcasts their draft as an event

An event that I never heard of before and never held interest for me or my friends

Guess olds?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70: April 11, 2020, 03:04:40 PM »

An event that I never heard of before and never held interest for me or my friends

Guess olds?

I guess it depends on what you define as old, but I find it difficult to believe that someone who regularly follows sports has “never heard” of the NFL Draft.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #71: April 11, 2020, 04:22:16 PM »

Guess olds?
I recall the NFL draft broadcasts as far back as the late 70s.  That's as far back as I remember and it may have been going on for years earlier than that.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #72: April 11, 2020, 04:39:24 PM »
I guess it depends on what you define as old, but I find it difficult to believe that someone who regularly follows sports has “never heard” of the NFL Draft.

Heh, I remember during my first year of college, all the guys in my dorm had an agreement that at least one of us would be in the TV lounge at all times during NFL Draft weekend so the women would be unable to change the channel, as the agreed etiquette was that whoever was there first had dibs on the TV.

« Reply #73: April 11, 2020, 07:01:49 PM »

I know there is a draft, I had to google it to find out about “Draft Day” - most of my staff are in their 20s-30s and for them it’s all DC United and beards and bicycles

My kids grew up after the publicity about head injuries - football creeps them out- their friends play lacrosse - but we’re seriously digressing - baseball family over here and my in laws are hockey-only

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #74: April 11, 2020, 07:44:39 PM »
I think attendance will take a long time to come back.  That'll put a premium on TV sports.  I imagine every league is going to try to put its games on in front of empty arenas.  The Big 5 conferences, too.  There will be even more money for the advertising because the audiences will be bigger.  Think of it this way: all those Sunday afternoon baseball games during good weather?  Remember how maybe you'd want to go to your kids soccer game, or go for a bike ride, or hit the farmer's market?  Well, those options aren't going to be available.  You will be a captive audience, and most everyone will want a break from the news. 

I’m still going for long runs and bike rides. The farmers markets and kids sports will start up again as soon as they’re allowed. I doubt baseball finds a way to open before - even empty it’s a lot of people that have to be in the same place at the same time