Author Topic: So will there be a 2020 season?  (Read 37885 times)

Offline UMDNats

Re: So will there be a 2020 season?
« Reply #25: April 07, 2020, 05:40:30 PM »
Honestly, baseball must think we're stupid to put that plan out there

float a trial balloon, see how public responds, measure if it's worth pursuing more. pretty common strategy.

that or the players union thinks its bogus and wanted to get ahead of it

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #26: April 07, 2020, 06:22:03 PM »
float a trial balloon, see how public responds, measure if it's worth pursuing more. pretty common strategy.

This isn't a trial balloon. This is the first part of an easier let down. They'll come back and say, sorry, I mean we tried, but the logistics of this just don't work out. We're thinking of trying [insert another idea here].

A couple weeks or a month later, sorry that won't work. We might try [insert idea here].

Month later, just no way to pull this off, season is canceled.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #27: April 07, 2020, 06:45:07 PM »

Guys want to be paid. So they will play. 

Would seem to me they could have one league in one city and the other in another city. No interleague games until later. Or maybe not at all this year. 

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #28: April 07, 2020, 07:46:18 PM »
Too bad they have to work out all 30 teams playing.  If they just had the 16 teams with winning records play a season, the logistics would be so much easier.   The other 14 teams can go play a div 2 season somewhere else to see who gets to the first league next year 😀

« Reply #29: April 08, 2020, 01:09:43 AM »
The corona virus is still exponentially increasing. We haven’t reach the top of the curve yet. This may end up being called the American flu coz they project hundred of thousands more death than China.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30: April 08, 2020, 01:16:46 AM »
This isn't a trial balloon. This is the first part of an easier let down. They'll come back and say, sorry, I mean we tried, but the logistics of this just don't work out. We're thinking of trying [insert another idea here].

A couple weeks or a month later, sorry that won't work. We might try [insert idea here].

Month later, just no way to pull this off, season is canceled.

This.

There is no way the season is being played. Unless there is an otherwise uninhabited island with 10 baseball stadiums.

Edit: the NBA could do this. Build two or three arenas on an island. Quarantine everyone before arrival. Test everyone. Quarantine everyone on island for 14 days. No one else enters. Play games. Make tons of money.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #31: April 08, 2020, 07:43:27 AM »
Yea, the NBA is the only league small enough.

Dana White is trying to buy a private island for UFC

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #32: April 08, 2020, 07:52:28 AM »
Dana White is trying to buy a private island for UFC

where have I heard that idea before? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enter_the_Dragon

Offline Slateman

« Reply #33: April 08, 2020, 08:08:14 AM »

where have I heard that idea before? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enter_the_Dragon
Also the plot of Mortal Kombat

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #34: April 08, 2020, 10:11:07 AM »
If they continued with that plan and the league actually implemented robot umpires, this whole pandemic would be worth it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #35: April 08, 2020, 11:18:27 AM »
If they continued with that plan and the league actually implemented robot umpires, this whole pandemic would be worth it.
BiL, for one, would be happy.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #36: April 08, 2020, 02:02:14 PM »
Never realized you hated the human value of umpires.  Will have to start calling you "Mr Robata"

We are alive, full of energy
We are working with a battery, now yeah
It's nothing but mechanics
We'll play it automatically

We are anything you want to do
We are tuned just to do it, oh yeah

Thank you very much for your kind help
We can't live without you, lalala...
I guess you're right

Domo arigato Mr. Roboto mata au…

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #37: April 08, 2020, 02:29:06 PM »
Never realized you hated the human value of umpires.  Will have to start calling you "Mr Robata"

We are alive, full of energy
We are working with a battery, now yeah

We are anything you want to do
We are tuned just to do it, oh yeah

Thank you very much for your kind help
We can't live without you, lalala...
I guess you're right

Domo arigato Mr. Roboto mata au…

found the guy who buys the tickets to see Joe west gesticulate

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #38: April 09, 2020, 11:02:26 AM »
I read it (via Twitter).  Four and a half month season, players (managers, etc.) would be quarantined in the compound the whole time, they would not see their families.  Players would sit in the stands (not the dugout) properly separated.  They would play several (many?) 7-inning doubleheaders, in order to have a near-full season.  Will use electronic strikezone so ump can keep distance from the plate. According to this plan they would start sometime in May.

Never gonna happen. 

First of all, with all this consideration for distancing: do they tell the first baseman he has to stand at least 6 feet from first base if there is a runner?  That he cannot hold the runner on first?  Can a runner on first steal second, and if so, are they going to invent a "remote tag"?  How do they distance the catcher from the batter? 

They haven't thought this through.

Another potential problem would be getting all the teams to Arizona. I saw an alternate suggestion that the teams who train in Arizona should play there in two or three venues and the teams who train in Florida should play there in two or three venues. Problem with that: How do you deal with the standings when you have teams from the same division in different states? The Astros are a good example because they're the only team from their division to train in Florida. Division standings would be meaningless if you can't play the teams in your division. I suppose one possible solution would be to do what the NFL did in the strike-shortened 1982 season—eliminate division standings, use a single table for each league (conference, in the NFL's case), and use a different postseason format for that year only. That's far from ideal as well, of course, because you still face the problem of teams within the single table playing radically different schedules from each other.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #39: April 09, 2020, 11:07:38 AM »
That's far from ideal as well, of course, because you still face the problem of teams within the single table playing radically different schedules from each other.

:shrug: seems like baseball before inter-league play was a thing. If you're so desperate for a season, that you decide to go ahead with biodome ball, just change it from NL and AL to Florida and Arizona for a year- the season will already have an enormous asterisk, does one more really matter?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #40: April 09, 2020, 11:25:57 AM »
:shrug: seems like baseball before inter-league play was a thing. If you're so desperate for a season, that you decide to go ahead with biodome ball, just change it from NL and AL to Florida and Arizona for a year- the season will already have an enormous asterisk, does one more really matter?

Baseball before interleague play was a thing, but they didn't have the cocked-up schedules that would result this year. Prior to expansion, for example, when you had the two single tables of eight teams each, you played the other seven teams in your league 22 times each, 11 at home and 11 on the road, for a 154-game season. That was modified slightly in the 1960s, and then the 1969 expansion altered things due to divisional play. But you still played everyone in your division. The idea of having a single table where you don't play everyone at least once makes no sense at all because there's no valid statistical basis for playoff qualification—that is, it's surely not fair if one team gets to play Baltimore 25 times (54–108 last year) while another team has to face the Yankees 25 times (103–59 last year).

The idea of having Cactus and Grapefruit makes more sense. I've never understood, for example, why the Washington Post prints spring training standings divided into "National" and "American"; some other news outlets do use "Cactus" and "Grapefruit" because that's more logical. The Nationals don't play Los Angeles NL in spring training, for example, since the latter left Vero Beach.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41: April 09, 2020, 12:15:27 PM »
I think all in AZ is no more difficult than a Cactus and a Grapefruit leagues.  Phoenix area has the density of fields for 15 games a day, and the travel difference of players going back to FL and AZ vs. all going to AZ is minimal, except for the players who live in FL and train in the Grapefruit league cites.  Having everyone in one metro area allows for league-based schedules, which takes care of the balance. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #42: April 09, 2020, 12:25:12 PM »
If you have a guaranteed salary regardless are you really going to leave your family to go live in a quarantine dorm for a few months? I don’t the the mlbpa says yes to this and they really don’t have much reason to do that

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #43: April 09, 2020, 12:38:48 PM »
If you have a guaranteed salary regardless are you really going to leave your family to go live in a quarantine dorm for a few months? I don’t the the mlbpa says yes to this and they really don’t have much reason to do that
Aren’t they only guaranteed partial compensation?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #44: April 09, 2020, 12:42:31 PM »

'Players who obtain Major League contracts -- either via free agency or extensions -- are guaranteed the full amount of money promised by those contracts. Conversely, players signed to Minor League contracts must earn a spot on the roster in Spring Training or via an in-season promotion in order to have their contracts guaranteed. Arbitration contracts are not guaranteed either, as a club can release a player on or before the 16th day of Spring Training and be responsible for only 30 days worth of pay. Players cut between the 17th and the final day of Spring Training must be compensated for 45 days worth of pay (at the prorated version of their arbitration salary). But if a player that agreed to an arbitration salary breaks camp with the club, his contract is fully guaranteed.'

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/guaranteed-contract

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #45: April 09, 2020, 12:43:23 PM »

Instead, MLB will advance players $170 million over the next two months, which the Players Association will divide among its members.  MLB salaries are paid on a per game basis, so to the extent that games are missed due to COVID-19, there is a legitimate argument that players would not be owed their contractually-agreed upon salaries.  Perhaps recognizing the uncertain legal landscape at play here and the bad optics of litigating over millions in salaries at this time of mass unemployment, it would appear that both sides determined that a swift resolution to the matter was in everyone’s best interests.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/season-flux-due-to-covid-19-major-league-baseball-players-and-owners-reach-agreement

it seems like the salary part is locked in. All of these no-fan solutions are going to have no ticket merchandise or concession sales, so I doubt we're talking about the resumption of salary beyond the agreement 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46: April 09, 2020, 03:12:26 PM »
My understanding has been that the deal with mlbpa is that minor leaguers and mlb minimum guys are getting money per day or game missed, but that higher paid guys are only getting paid for games played pro rata.

That article is considered with my understanding. $170 MM total advanced for 2 months is <$3MM per team per month. Nats normal payroll is about $35MM per month.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #47: April 09, 2020, 04:24:23 PM »
My understanding has been that the deal with mlbpa is that minor leaguers and mlb minimum guys are getting money per day or game missed, but that higher paid guys are only getting paid for games played pro rata.

That article is considered with my understanding. $170 MM total advanced for 2 months is <$3MM per team per month. Nats normal payroll is about $35MM per month.
That makes sense. And why they would want to play.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #48: April 09, 2020, 05:14:19 PM »
Geez.  I even miss FP.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

« Reply #49: April 09, 2020, 05:23:52 PM »

There are a lot of people who are forced by circumstance to work away from their family for part of the year.  I was pretty surprised that this was a big deal to them because they signed on for a traveling job