Author Topic: So will there be a 2020 season?  (Read 37834 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

So will there be a 2020 season?
« Topic Start: April 05, 2020, 10:15:01 AM »
Not sure the season will start with just 26 on the roster.  I would think rosters will be around 29, with room for extra pitchers.  That'll likely mean guys like Fedde and some additional relievers, maybe multi-inning guys, would start the season in middle / long relief to pick up for short starts as the regular rotation build their arms back up.

I would think the extra rest might be helpful for Max, Stras, Corbin and Sanchez given they went an extra month in the playoffs last year.  If it is something like a 100 game season, they might better be able to avoid burn out (OTOH, that burnout might happen in the playoffs).
I'm not sue the season will start anymore now.  Roster seems least of our worries. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Re: 2020 26
« Reply #1: April 05, 2020, 03:48:51 PM »
I think restarting is definitely on the table though not a sure thing.  Bowser has been saying DC's "apex" will be in July, which is when I think they would have tried to restart.  I'm thinking that they may play with no crowds, or do something to thin the crowds like every other row and space between SPH groups.  Maybe 8000-10000 max for SPH only?  The RSNs are going to want programming, and perhaps with expanded clubhouses and other things like changing at the hotel / at home, there might be a way to avoid close quarters for the players.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2: April 05, 2020, 03:50:43 PM »
I think restarting is definitely on the table though not a sure thing.  Bowser has been saying DC's "apex" will be in July, which is when I think they would have tried to restart.  I'm thinking that they may play with no crowds, or do something to thin the crowds like every other row and space between SPH groups.  Maybe 8000-10000 max for SPH only?  The RSNs are going to want programming, and perhaps with expanded clubhouses and other things like changing at the hotel / at home, there might be a way to avoid close quarters for the players.

There is zero chance I would attend a game under those conditions.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

« Reply #3: April 05, 2020, 03:54:50 PM »
Well it’s a done deal they can’t have 40k people in a stadium before a vaccine is developed - no insurance company will allow that

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4: April 05, 2020, 03:57:57 PM »
There is zero chance I would attend a game under those conditions.
they probably expect some SPH will say thanks but no thanks.  But seriously, your seats are front row in one of the upper tiers.  If no one was in the row behind you, and there were a 2-3 seats gap on either side of you, would you still think no way?   I guess that's still not 6 feet, so maybe it is impossible to distance enough.  No fans, then, would seem to be the way to restart.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5: April 05, 2020, 04:00:34 PM »
Well it’s a done deal they can’t have 40k people in a stadium before a vaccine is developed - no insurance company will allow that
yes.  The story in Italy and to some extent Spain is that there was a Champs League or Europa cup game between Bergamo and a Spanish team that had everyone pack in around I think the 3d week of February.  That was the super-spreader. 35% of the Spanish team eventually tested positive for Covid, and Bergamo is the hottest of the Italian hot spots.

Offline Five Banners

Re: So will there be a 2020 season?
« Reply #6: April 05, 2020, 04:30:56 PM »

The flu vaccine was reported as 40% effective and 25% against the H3N2 strain:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2017-2018.htm

I don't recall insurance policies being at risk in large gathering places even as hospitalizations and deaths elevated over the tens of thousands above the usual average occurred, even with a vaccine on the books.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #7: April 05, 2020, 06:32:28 PM »
Nobody knows what is going to happen.  Anybody that claims they do should be muted.  We are all learning as we go.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

« Reply #8: April 05, 2020, 09:43:49 PM »
Nobody knows what is going to happen.  Anybody that claims they do should be muted.  We are all learning as we go.

Well that depends what agency you’ve worked for in the past, doesn’t it?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #9: April 05, 2020, 10:18:26 PM »
The flu vaccine was reported as 40% effective and 25% against the H3N2 strain:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2017-2018.htm

I don't recall insurance policies being at risk in large gathering places even as hospitalizations and deaths elevated over the tens of thousands above the usual average occurred, even with a vaccine on the books.

Tens of thousands over six months is rather different than hundreds of thousands over a much shorter period. 

Apparently on a call today Trump said he was hoping they'd have fans in the stands by August (https://www.yahoo.com/sports/president-trumps-call-with-sports-leagues-was-wishful-in-sentiment-but-wistful-in-reality-202620506.html).  So, when a delusionally optimistic man thinks August is best-case, it's fair to say there will be no fans at any point.  The only question left is if they play the games at all.   My suspicion is not.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #10: April 06, 2020, 12:55:14 AM »
Tens of thousands over six months is rather different than hundreds of thousands over a much shorter period. 

Maybe this link will illustrate the numbers better:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden-averted/2017-2018.htm#table1

"CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2017–2018 season was high with an estimated 45 million people getting sick with influenza, 21 million people going to a health care provider, 810,000 hospitalizations, and 61,000 deaths from influenza."

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11: April 06, 2020, 01:16:42 AM »
they probably expect some SPH will say thanks but no thanks.  But seriously, your seats are front row in one of the upper tiers.  If no one was in the row behind you, and there were a 2-3 seats gap on either side of you, would you still think no way?   I guess that's still not 6 feet, so maybe it is impossible to distance enough.  No fans, then, would seem to be the way to restart.

My seats are fine, but I metro to the game, I use bathrooms between innings and I like to drink beer and eat. I don’t think you can do any of those other things with social distancing.

I don’t think that the games are much fun if I just go and sit in my seat and do nothing else.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #12: April 06, 2020, 08:20:56 AM »
My seats are fine, but I metro to the game, I use bathrooms between innings and I like to drink beer and eat. I don’t think you can do any of those other things with social distancing.

I don’t think that the games are much fun if I just go and sit in my seat and do nothing else.

Even if you do sit still, you still have to funnel everyone through a limited number of entry and then exit points- you can’t keep adequate distance between that many people if they all have to go though a choke point- if distancing is still a thing, I don’t see the season happening

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #13: April 06, 2020, 08:32:44 AM »
Maybe this link will illustrate the numbers better:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden-averted/2017-2018.htm#table1

"CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2017–2018 season was high with an estimated 45 million people getting sick with influenza, 21 million people going to a health care provider, 810,000 hospitalizations, and 61,000 deaths from influenza."

You've failed to disagree with me, if that was what you were trying to do.  61,000 deaths is many fewer over a much longer period than coronavirus, especially coronavirus if the lockdowns are ended too soon.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #14: April 06, 2020, 08:50:03 AM »
An article in the Post this past Saturday (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/04/04/how-long-until-sports-can-return-you-might-not-like-answer/) gives the opinion the sports shutdown may last into next year.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: April 07, 2020, 02:03:47 PM »
there was a story about all teams playing in the Phoenix area using Chase, the spring training fields, and I'll guess Az State, and having no fans in attendance.  I think it is Jeff Passan who said this is being considered.    Teams kept isolated, pretty much.  I'll go further and you could have 4 PM starts for the East Coast home games and 7 PM for the West so the broadcasts could be in the right time slots.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: April 07, 2020, 02:44:16 PM »
there was a story about all teams playing in the Phoenix area using Chase, the spring training fields, and I'll guess Az State, and having no fans in attendance.  I think it is Jeff Passan who said this is being considered.    Teams kept isolated, pretty much.  I'll go further and you could have 4 PM starts for the East Coast home games and 7 PM for the West so the broadcasts could be in the right time slots.

4pm in Phoenix in July is going to be rough.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #18: April 07, 2020, 02:57:16 PM »
4pm in Phoenix in July is going to be rough.

Dry heat. :)

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #19: April 07, 2020, 03:28:10 PM »

I read it (via Twitter).  Four and a half month season, players (managers, etc.) would be quarantined in the compound the whole time, they would not see their families.  Players would sit in the stands (not the dugout) properly separated.  They would play several (many?) 7-inning doubleheaders, in order to have a near-full season.  Will use electronic strikezone so ump can keep distance from the plate. According to this plan they would start sometime in May.

Never gonna happen. 

First of all, with all this consideration for distancing: do they tell the first baseman he has to stand at least 6 feet from first base if there is a runner?  That he cannot hold the runner on first?  Can a runner on first steal second, and if so, are they going to invent a "remote tag"?  How do they distance the catcher from the batter? 

They haven't thought this through.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #20: April 07, 2020, 03:31:18 PM »
I read it (via Twitter).  Four and a half month season, players (managers, etc.) would be quarantined in the compound the whole time, they would not see their families.  Players would sit in the stands (not the dugout) properly separated.  They would play several (many?) 7-inning doubleheaders, in order to have a near-full season.  Will use electronic strikezone so ump can keep distance from the plate. According to this plan they would start sometime in May.

Never gonna happen. 

First of all, with all this consideration for distancing: do they tell the first baseman he has to stand at least 6 feet from first base if there is a runner?  That he cannot hold the runner on first?  Can a runner on first steal second, and if so, are they going to invent a "remote tag"?  How do they distance the catcher from the batter? 

good luck getting players to agree to be guaranteed too

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #21: April 07, 2020, 03:47:12 PM »
the mental image of the team sitting 6 feet apart in the stands is hilarious

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #22: April 07, 2020, 04:30:58 PM »

Never gonna happen. 

As Boras has been pushing proposals and may be connected to this as well, I'm anticipating more plans that aren't thinking things through as much as making bank in the short term and resetting the table for year.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #23: April 07, 2020, 05:26:02 PM »
Honestly, baseball must think we're stupid to put that plan out there

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #24: April 07, 2020, 05:33:22 PM »
Honestly, baseball must think we're stupid to put that plan out there
Well yea.