Author Topic: So will there be a 2020 season?  (Read 38760 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: So will there be a 2020 season?
« Reply #875: July 23, 2020, 10:37:11 AM »
Then where will the Nats JV group practice? 

yeah, they'd have to work around them, but they could probably host some games there.  There's plenty of space.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #876: July 23, 2020, 10:44:30 AM »
My condolences. 

Freddie Freeman was near death. (Maybe it wasn't publicized as such but I consider 104.5 fever to be pretty serious.)  That didn't do it.  I'm not so sure one death will. Hopefully there won't be any deaths, but I expect many positive tests, possibly mostly asymptomatic but they'll still have to sit out 14 days.  A large number of these cases would shut it down, just because there won't be enough players.

I don't buy the theory that there is an unlimited number of players, depending on how low they are willing to reach. There is a certain level of play that fans expect and I don't think MLB is going to allow itself to drop below that level.

If a star dies, it's over- probably for Manfred and Clark too

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #877: July 23, 2020, 10:52:03 AM »
yeah, they'd have to work around them, but they could probably host some games there.  There's plenty of space.
I’m sure that’s true at any number of minor league parks. It’s interesting that they don’t want to play in Buffalo because of the lights.  However they let their triple A team play there? 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #878: July 23, 2020, 10:56:37 AM »
My condolences. 

Freddie Freeman was near death. (Maybe it wasn't publicized as such but I consider 104.5 fever to be pretty serious.)  That didn't do it.  I'm not so sure one death will. Hopefully there won't be any deaths, but I expect many positive tests, possibly mostly asymptomatic but they'll still have to sit out 14 days.  A large number of these cases would shut it down, just because there won't be enough players.

I don't buy the theory that there is an unlimited number of players, depending on how low they are willing to reach. There is a certain level of play that fans expect and I don't think MLB is going to allow itself to drop below that level.
Freeman got sick before camp.  Seems the positive tests are going down as players have been in camps. Less time to get in trouble so to speak. 

Offline imref

« Reply #879: July 23, 2020, 12:31:48 PM »
Dan Connolly of The Athletic says the Blue Jays will play 4 games at Nats park next week, two as visitors, two as the home team.  After that they could potentially fit in with the O's at Baltimore.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #880: July 23, 2020, 12:41:28 PM »
Freeman got sick before camp.  Seems the positive tests are going down as players have been in camps. Less time to get in trouble so to speak. 
It's an interesting dilemma.   I expect for many players, this controlled environment is safer than what they'd otherwise be doing.  I'm sure there is a flip side too, of older at-risk managers who would otherwise be holed up somewhere.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #881: July 23, 2020, 12:46:46 PM »
It's an interesting dilemma.   I expect for many players, this controlled environment is safer than what they'd otherwise be doing.  I'm sure there is a flip side too, of older at-risk managers who would otherwise be holed up somewhere.
True. 

Offline imref

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #883: July 23, 2020, 01:06:02 PM »

Is it controlled? There is no bubble, after games they still go home

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #884: July 23, 2020, 01:14:52 PM »
Is it controlled? There is no bubble, after games they still go home
Less free time on their hands.  During a season they basically wake up, eat and go to the park. I believe on the road they will be restricted to the hotel.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #885: July 23, 2020, 01:23:28 PM »
Dan Connolly of The Athletic says the Blue Jays will play 4 games at Nats park next week, two as visitors, two as the home team.  After that they could potentially fit in with the O's at Baltimore.
Does Toronto get to control the crowd noise when they're the home team?

Offline imref

« Reply #886: July 23, 2020, 02:00:47 PM »
Does Toronto get to control the crowd noise when they're the home team?

I would think so, and there will be poutine available in the dressing rooms

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #887: July 23, 2020, 02:07:24 PM »
MLB says that Blue Jays don't want to use Sahlins Park, Buffalo, because (1) would need to improve the lighting and find more room for proper social distancing; (2) Jays had intended to use Buffalo as workout park for their player pool. This "season" is going to be a scramble.
Welch!  Great to see you!  Was worried like heck about NYC when things were bad.  Welcome back!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #888: July 23, 2020, 02:10:04 PM »
Baltimore has been mentioned.
both B'more and Pitt are on Dr. Birx's list of 11 cities that should be on lockdown. So is Nashville.  The BJs may just have to play days in Buffalo  if the lighting is no good and use suites as auxiliary clubhouse space.

Is RFK torn down yet?  Swing space.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #889: July 23, 2020, 02:31:00 PM »
There will be a season but what are the odds they finish it?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #890: July 23, 2020, 02:42:17 PM »
[...]Is RFK torn down yet?[...]

That's scheduled for next year.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #891: July 23, 2020, 03:10:36 PM »
My observations on the exhibition game vs. O's was that the players were not social distantcing on the field ,in the dugout and after the game where they ( not all) were high fiving . I believe that one asymptomatic player can infect multiple players. I think that a large numbers of players on one team will miss significant time. Call me OCD but I do not think the season will be completed as planned.

Offline imref

« Reply #892: July 23, 2020, 03:15:45 PM »
That's scheduled for next year.

RFK will look much better as a pile of rubble.  Well, it almost is that now.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #893: July 23, 2020, 05:05:53 PM »
My observations on the exhibition game vs. O's was that the players were not social distantcing on the field ,in the dugout and after the game where they ( not all) were high fiving . I believe that one asymptomatic player can infect multiple players. I think that a large numbers of players on one team will miss significant time. Call me OCD but I do not think the season will be completed as planned.
you may be right.  There really should not be anyone in the dugout other than the manager, some coaches and the batter who is in the hole so he can talk to the manager.  Going into the clubhouse, they need to go with spacing.  They also ought to think about using the suites as auxiliary changing space so the players are more spread out, and maybe showering at home.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #894: July 26, 2020, 01:46:21 PM »
I think th Nats should raffle off like 10 tickets to each game. Put them in vastly different areas of park. I think it would be a cool way to watch a game.

Edit: Autocorrect has not been good to me lately. 

Offline dracnal

« Reply #895: July 26, 2020, 02:18:46 PM »
I think th Nats should raffle off Luke 10 tickets to each game. Put them in vastly different areas of park. I think it would be a cool way to watch a game.

My guess is they'd go auction, not raffle. That said, that would be an almost surreal experience. It'd be like going to a normal Marlin's  home game.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #896: July 26, 2020, 02:32:34 PM »
I think th Nats should raffle off Luke 10 tickets to each game. Put them in vastly different areas of park. I think it would be a cool way to watch a game.

Luke 10 does contain the parable of the Good Samaritan

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #897: July 26, 2020, 03:40:28 PM »
I think th Nats should raffle off like 10 tickets to each game. Put them in vastly different areas of park. I think it would be a cool way to watch a game.

You'd think you could put suites at half capacity.  I don't see how that is any different than a restaurant.

Maybe give free tickets, 1 couple per row to whatever that math works out?  No concessions, byob, everyone gets every 5-6 games or something?   That would give a decent atmosphere without much exposure.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #898: July 26, 2020, 09:37:28 PM »

1000 tickets and people can bring in their own coolers.  That would be the crap.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #899: July 26, 2020, 11:22:20 PM »
1000 tickets and people can bring in their own coolers.  That would be the crap.
It'd be like a Marlins game, except with coolers (and no covid).