Author Topic: So will there be a 2020 season?  (Read 38813 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: So will there be a 2020 season?
« Reply #500: June 12, 2020, 09:14:34 PM »
So does the commissioner actually have the power to enforce the 48 game season or will the players fight that?

There is language in the agreement saying he does, there is also language requiring the owners to try and ensure the most games possible- if he does it, it’s going to arbitration

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

« Reply #501: June 13, 2020, 07:50:15 AM »
There will not be a season with fans in stands in 2020- World Series might be different

It’s not MLB’s call -

Right now teams can’t travel to Toronto and back easily because of border crossings

Most of the cities won’t let the stadiums fully-reopen based on city or state regulations- regardless of what MLB wants

Third party sites don’t really work, there are regional infection breakouts happening throughout rural America, and this would just be another location with a lot of people

As far as number of games- which is what MLB can try to control- things are overall bad and not looking good but honestly at this point I don’t care. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #502: June 13, 2020, 09:36:55 AM »
There will not be a season with fans in stands in 2020- World Series might be different

It’s not MLB’s call -

Right now teams can’t travel to Toronto and back easily because of border crossings

Most of the cities won’t let the stadiums fully-reopen based on city or state regulations- regardless of what MLB wants

Third party sites don’t really work, there are regional infection breakouts happening throughout rural America, and this would just be another location with a lot of people

As far as number of games- which is what MLB can try to control- things are overall bad and not looking good but honestly at this point I don’t care.
Agree with some of your points but cities are all reopening and don't think there are issues for teams using stadiums as long as there are no fans.  Some states have even said they would accept limited seating of fans.  The Canada issue can probably be worked around.  I believe the NHL is still trying to find a Canadian city for one of its; two sites so probably can be exceptions negotiated. 

MLB seemed to move on quickly from the one or two city option--not totally sure why.  There is really no need to play in your own stadium without fans.  Games can be played anywhere.  I suppose players did not want to be away from families for an extended time. 

I think they will start--Manfred is trying to force and agreement by saying they will start anyway.  It's a mess though. 

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #503: June 13, 2020, 04:31:02 PM »
They just want a postseason because that's where theyll make all the money

How ironclad is their tv contract with the networks regarding postseason?  I suspect the networks will want to get out of the contracts.   Many fans are simply not going to care about a postseason that follows a farce of a season.  I'm not.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #504: June 14, 2020, 08:51:59 AM »
Sounds like baseball will be coming back for a few games whether we like it or not. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29307988/mlb-players-reject-latest-offer-ask-league-set-2020-season-schedule

"In a statement Saturday night, MLBPA executive director Tony Clark rejected MLB's latest proposal and said: 'Further dialogue with the league would be futile. It's time to get back to work. Tell us when and where'."

"If MLB does implement a season, both parties could file grievances to be heard by an arbitrator, though neither would necessarily delay games being played, sources said. The union could file a grievance that the league did not fulfill its obligation to play the most games possible, sources told ESPN."

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #507: June 14, 2020, 11:42:58 AM »
https://nypost.com/2020/06/12/player-and-mlb-pitching-coach-tested-positive-for-coronavirus/

My daughter sent me a post from a local pediatrician in the Orlando area who said that 80 percent of the kids tested positive for COVOD 19 at her clinic out of those they tested (I suppose ones with coughs and/or fever).  It's still all over. 

The NBA/NHL/MLS strategies are probably better because they will be in one location with limited family contacts.  MLB players will be at home.  Their kids will be starting back to school and bringing it home.  If they are going for just a 50 game season in MLB they would be best finding just a few locations. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #508: June 14, 2020, 02:49:12 PM »
MLB players will be at home.  Their kids will be starting back to school and bringing it home.  If they are going for just a 50 game season in MLB they would be best finding just a few locations.

Nashville...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #509: June 14, 2020, 03:01:46 PM »

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #510: June 15, 2020, 05:19:58 PM »
champs until 2021! :whip:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #511: June 15, 2020, 05:39:24 PM »
Passan tweets that Manfred is "no longer confident" there will be a season.  Probably for the best.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #512: June 15, 2020, 06:16:50 PM »
So the whole imposed season was a bluff?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #513: June 15, 2020, 06:24:08 PM »
So the whole imposed season was a bluff?
Someone  probably explained to him that the players can simply not play and filename grievance, seeing as how the owners proposed 70+ games and Manfred is imposing 48

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #514: June 15, 2020, 06:45:24 PM »
How do you go from 100% certain to not sure.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #515: June 15, 2020, 06:53:56 PM »
It was originally reported that there was an agreement between players and owners - the players would get paid full salary pro-rated.  When the owners said no we can't do that, I said freak the owners.  Then I heard tim kurkjian this morning.  He said the agreement was  the players would get paid full salary pro-rated unless there couldn't be fans in the stands and in that case the deal would have to be renegotiated.  And the reason for all the confusion is that the latter part was not communicated by the union to the players. So I say, freak the players.  It's their godam union and their union freaked them.  The didn't even try to negotiate.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #516: June 15, 2020, 06:57:44 PM »
It was originally reported that there was an agreement between players and owners - the players would get paid full salary pro-rated.  When the owners said no we can't do that, I said freak the owners.  Then I heard tim kurkjian this morning.  He said the agreement was  the players would get paid full salary pro-rated unless there couldn't be fans in the stands and in that case the deal would have to be renegotiated.  And the reason for all the confusion is that the latter part was not communicated by the union to the players. So I say, freak the players.  It's their godam union and their union freaked them.  The didn't even try to negotiate.

Did you miss the multiple proposals they sent the owners?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #517: June 15, 2020, 07:05:23 PM »
Apparently the clause in the original agreement is subject to interpretation.  I understand the owners will lose some revenue but no support for the 40 percent loss they claim. It appears from what I read that they expect the players to absorb most of the loss. They haven’t budge at all.

I say freak em both but I was initially more supportive of the owners and less so now. They can absorb some losses for this year.  They just got a big boost on one of their postseason contracts for next year.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #518: June 15, 2020, 07:08:28 PM »
Passan tweets that Manfred is "no longer confident" there will be a season.  Probably for the best.
So what was with Tony Clark just saying give us the schedule.  Or are then owners backpedaling?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #519: June 15, 2020, 07:18:08 PM »
Zim will get that 100% guarantee he demanded...without a farewell tour...

Regardless of the reasons behind it, scrubbing the 2020 season is the only sane course of action...

Online Slateman

« Reply #520: June 15, 2020, 07:22:24 PM »
Zim will get that 100% guarantee he demanded...without a farewell tour...

Regardless of the reasons behind it, scrubbing the 2020 season is the only sane course of action...
Unless, of course, you're one of those people that wants baseball to continue in the future

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #521: June 15, 2020, 07:24:42 PM »
Only a troll would think Baseball won't happen in the future, regardless of 2020

Unless, of course, you're one of those people that wants baseball to continue in the future

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #522: June 15, 2020, 07:25:22 PM »

Overreact much?

Online Slateman

« Reply #523: June 15, 2020, 07:29:42 PM »
Overreact much?
Look what it took to come back from the 94 strike. Now you're going to have 2 work stoppages in a three year period? Yea, baseball isnt going to survive that. Not with an ownership group that wants to gut the minor leagues.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #524: June 15, 2020, 07:46:39 PM »
A strike like 1994 is completely different than a country wide medical issue, in terms of how baseball fans view the circumstance

Look what it took to come back from the 94 strike. Now you're going to have 2 work stoppages in a three year period? Yea, baseball isnt going to survive that. Not with an ownership group that wants to gut the minor leagues.