Poll

When do you think MLB will have Opening Day?

April 9.  Just a 2 week delay.
1 (2%)
May 1
6 (12%)
June 1
18 (36%)
July 1
11 (22%)
No season
14 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Poll: Go on record, Opening Day will be.....  (Read 3028 times)

Offline santanaf

Re: Poll: Go on record, Opening Day will be.....
« Reply #50: March 19, 2020, 10:42:46 PM »
Calling it. 2020 is the season that wasn’t. 2021 here we come!

Now the big question. Will the team refund, or will they do the classic “we’ll credit your account,” jive?

Offline rileyn

« Reply #51: March 20, 2020, 06:36:03 AM »
How will it work for free agents? Does this year count?

Offline djnrook

« Reply #52: March 20, 2020, 09:16:13 PM »
Calling it. 2020 is the season that wasn’t. 2021 here we come!

Now the big question. Will the team refund, or will they do the classic “we’ll credit your account,” jive?

You have to ask?  They are classicly consistent.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

« Reply #53: March 21, 2020, 08:34:15 AM »
You have to ask?  They are classicly consistent.

I hope you’re joking- will the team seriously try to keep the SPH cash and roll it over to next season?  If the games aren’t played I need a refund.  I have like $5k tied up in this

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #54: March 21, 2020, 11:18:18 AM »
I hope you’re joking- will the team seriously try to keep the SPH cash and roll it over to next season?  If the games aren’t played I need a refund.  I have like $5k tied up in this

Squeaky wheels for equity and  common sense will need to be the order of the day from our end

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #55: March 21, 2020, 02:24:06 PM »
what a nightmare of a situation

The Lerner Trust Fund extends MtPleasant their eternal gratitude.  :$$$:

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #56: March 21, 2020, 04:01:53 PM »
My sympathies.  But I think you can damn well be assured that they'll keep your money and issue credit.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #57: March 21, 2020, 04:09:27 PM »

TBH, I'm concerned about 2021.   That just 12 months from now, and they are saying 18 months to 2 years for a vaccine.
Vaccine isn't necessary for things to return to some state of normalcy.  What's necessary is for the rate of new reported cases to slow to an acceptable level or to halt altogether. That could be 3-4 months.  There have been no new cases in China for over a week. Of course China has far more control over their population than we do so it's going to take longer, but keep in mind that warmer days and increased sunlight naturally kill viruses. Of course, it'll come back next fall and winter.  Hopefully we'll be better prepared to deal with it.   But if things return to normal in three months, they could begin early- or mid-july and get in a half season.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

« Reply #58: March 21, 2020, 05:20:35 PM »
Vaccine isn't necessary for things to return to some state of normalcy.  What's necessary is for the rate of new reported cases to slow to an acceptable level or to halt altogether. That could be 3-4 months.  There have been no new cases in China for over a week. Of course China has far more control over their population than we do so it's going to take longer, but keep in mind that warmer days and increased sunlight naturally kill viruses. Of course, it'll come back next fall and winter.  Hopefully we'll be better prepared to deal with it.   But if things return to normal in three months, they could begin early- or mid-july and get in a half season.

I honestly see no reason to believe any numbers coming out of China.  Same with Iran.  We can really only look toward countries with multiple open news sources to compare with.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #59: March 21, 2020, 05:47:22 PM »
I honestly see no reason to believe any numbers coming out of China.  Same with Iran.  We can really only look toward countries with multiple open news sources to compare with.
Well if you don't believe China, South Korea is a good model to look at, and they're a credible regime. Problem is, our leaders are nowhere near as smart as theirs.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #60: March 24, 2020, 02:14:21 PM »
Trump has set April 12 for the Nation to be back up and running.   Which of course is preposterous, but hypothetically, if that happens, when could the season begin?  May 1?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #61: March 24, 2020, 02:58:05 PM »
Trump has set April 12 for the Nation to be back up and running.   Which of course is preposterous, but hypothetically, if that happens, when could the season begin?  May 1?

say April 12th the USA is OPEN FOR BUSINESS

MLB will probably give teams about 2 weeks of "spring training" since the shutdowns started about 3 weeks before opening day, but they also aren't going to call players back right on april 12th. so say they call people to report back by 4/20 (nice). 2 weeks takes us into May. I'd say middle of May is earliest they'd do it, but I think they'd err on the side of safety (because trump already has pushback on this) and say June 1 for start date and it's just a shortened season or something.   

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #62: March 24, 2020, 03:02:54 PM »
say April 12th the USA is OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Is there a difference between "open for business" and "back up and running"?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63: March 24, 2020, 03:10:17 PM »
The problem is, Trump doesn't actually control this stuff. It's up to governors and mayors who are listening to their public health people. And Players and teams aren't going to come back because of a decree, they will come back because they feel safe.

There won't be any baseball this year.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #64: March 24, 2020, 03:13:12 PM »
The problem is, Trump doesn't actually control this stuff. It's up to governors and mayors who are listening to their public health people. And Players and teams aren't going to come back because of a decree, they will come back because they feel safe.

Dontt be so sure blue. They are playing basketball in China.

If more people get infected this year do you think that will make next winter’s version of the virus less impactful?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #65: March 24, 2020, 03:17:25 PM »

relocation- Mississippi vs Wyoming in the World Series

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66: March 24, 2020, 03:20:14 PM »
Dontt be so sure blue. They are playing basketball in China.

If more people get infected this year do you think that will make next winter’s version of the virus less impactful?

China took steps much more strict than us. Much more.

And sure, just depends on how many folks need to die of this (and other stuff) before you reach Herd immunity. We should be using this time to ramp up the production of tests, equipment and beds. Then when it does hit again, we are much better equipped to handle it. The idea isn't to keep people from getting it, its just to put it off until it overwhelms the system.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #67: March 24, 2020, 03:25:33 PM »
Is there a difference between "open for business" and "back up and running"?

the white house clarified that april 12th is "full speed" so yeah, you're right, I guess May 1 could be realistic.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #68: March 24, 2020, 04:00:10 PM »
the white house clarified that april 12th is "full speed" so yeah, you're right, I guess May 1 could be realistic.

About all the WH can do is reopen federal facilities.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #69: March 24, 2020, 05:28:53 PM »
About all the WH can do is reopen federal facilities.

Red states will take their cues from POTUS on this IMO. TN Governor already hedging his bets on any kind of real shutdown. Going to be interesting to see how leagues handle this since it will go state-by-state for a little while.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #70: March 24, 2020, 05:36:54 PM »
Red states will take their cues from POTUS on this IMO. TN Governor already hedging his bets on any kind of real shutdown. Going to be interesting to see how leagues handle this since it will go state-by-state for a little while.
The Republican Governor of Ohio isn’t leaning that way. I have a hard time seeing the GOP governor of Florida doing it either with an elderly population.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #71: March 24, 2020, 05:37:33 PM »
As a newbie to Uncensored, is this where it gets "political"?
Sounded like a game day thread to me.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #72: March 24, 2020, 05:38:05 PM »

It’s still spring training. :)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #73: March 24, 2020, 05:44:49 PM »

Nah, JCA would have moved/deleted it.    :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #74: March 24, 2020, 05:47:16 PM »
Nah, JCA would have moved/deleted it.    :)
;)