Poll

When do you think MLB will have Opening Day?

April 9.  Just a 2 week delay.
1 (2%)
May 1
6 (12%)
June 1
18 (36%)
July 1
11 (22%)
No season
14 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Poll: Go on record, Opening Day will be.....  (Read 3122 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Poll: Go on record, Opening Day will be.....
« Reply #25: March 16, 2020, 04:03:20 PM »
i'd like to change my vote to 'no season' from July 1.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #26: March 16, 2020, 04:53:02 PM »
Just play the World Series based on spring records. Phillies versus the As.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #27: March 16, 2020, 04:55:05 PM »
Just play the World Series based on spring records. Phillies versus the As.

I'm more into letting last years "champ" play.      :w:  vs   Stros

Offline rileyn

« Reply #28: March 16, 2020, 05:57:38 PM »
How late is too late?  Would they bother to start a season after August 1? 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29: March 16, 2020, 08:25:39 PM »
How late is too late?  Would they bother to start a season after August 1?

Cash Money.

Offline imref

« Reply #30: March 16, 2020, 08:29:17 PM »
MLB the show to simulate the first half of the season then go from there.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

« Reply #31: March 16, 2020, 11:49:22 PM »
I think the lowest number of games that MLB would allow is 60.  And I think they will do at least 60 games.

I believe that opening day will be Friday, May 1.

I believe they’ll ditch interleague games.

But I’ll want a refund on some Delta Sky360 games I bought - they’ve got to fix that

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #32: March 17, 2020, 07:34:45 AM »
Heard on the radio this morning that apparently at least some people at MLB are holding out hope for a mid-May opener.

In other developments, the government of North Korea has announced the liquidation of the country's entire nuclear weapons programme, with immediate effect.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #33: March 17, 2020, 07:37:44 AM »
In other developments, the government of North Korea has announced the liquidation of the country's entire nuclear weapons programme, with immediate effect.

those poor workers and scientists 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #34: March 17, 2020, 09:29:25 AM »
Heard on the radio this morning that apparently at least some people at MLB are holding out hope for a mid-May opener.

yes, Kim is going to liquidate the arsenal by following the use'em or lose'em approach, contributing to the covid fight by detonating his arsenal in covid hot spots like Milan, Florence, much of France and Spain, and New york.  He has a soft spot for night clubs in San Fransisco and likes startbucks, so Seattle and the bay area are exempt.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35: March 17, 2020, 01:44:21 PM »
I think the lowest number of games that MLB would allow is 60.  And I think they will do at least 60 games.

I believe that opening day will be Friday, May 1.

I believe they’ll ditch interleague games.

But I’ll want a refund on some Delta Sky360 games I bought - they’ve got to fix that

No way May 1 will work when the CDC is recommending no gatherings of more than 50 people for at least two months. 2 Baseball teams alone is more than 50 people. 

« Reply #36: March 17, 2020, 08:02:09 PM »
Manfred was supposed to have a call with all GMs earlier today, given the new CDC guidelines the expectation is that the teams are going to close camps and send everyone home.

I heard that the between-the-lines subtext was that the season starts around May 24 and they will lose a minimum of a month of games. 

Offline imref

« Reply #37: March 17, 2020, 08:03:10 PM »
I heard that the between-the-lines subtext was that the season starts around May 24 and they will lose a minimum of a month of games. 

that's wishful thinking.

« Reply #38: March 17, 2020, 08:03:12 PM »
No way May 1 will work when the CDC is recommending no gatherings of more than 50 people for at least two months. 2 Baseball teams alone is more than 50 people.

No, I hear you, I was operating on old news.  Manfred’s presentation is targeting Memorial Day

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39: March 18, 2020, 09:43:28 AM »
Prolonged offseason, shortened regular season.  If they actually play baseball, this will play into the Nats and their oldies’ hands.

Offline catocony

« Reply #40: March 18, 2020, 08:00:47 PM »
My vote would be "it depends" on if they want to get creative with things.  Hear me out:

Spring training is mostly for pitchers.  Since guys are training year round now, players don't need to go to training for 5-6 weeks to lose 15 pounds, or to relearn their eye-hand coordination or whatever.  So, position players only need a couple of weeks of at-bats to get back their hitting eye.

Pitchers do need repetition and the gradual addition of workload to get ready for 6+ innings.  So, if I were able to make up rules, I would target early May, with the idea that guys could get back to spring training about a month or so from now.  Since starting pitchers would not be stretched out, I would go with an expanded roster so teams could carry 15 or so pitchers.  Starters get in 3-4 innings their first time round, then add on from there.  After 3 weeks, reduce the rosters back to 26.

Would games look a bit weird as a hybrid regular-season/spring training outing?  Sure, but it would allow them to get in 124-130 games or so.  Eliminate the all-star game, move the playoffs back a week or two, maybe have some planned double headers with expanded rosters, and they get even more games in , like 140 or so.

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #41: March 19, 2020, 08:33:38 AM »
Unless Major League Baseball and the Players Association agree to play some games with no fans in the stands, I can’t see there being a 2020 season IMO.

Correct me if I’m wrong, if the players are guaranteed at least 50% of their salary if no games are played, why wouldn’t the owners try to push the players out on the field in an attempt to collect some percentage of tv revenue? Or do the owners already have insurance in place to cover any unforeseen disasters such as coronavirus?

Saddened to see all this happening especially since baseball (all sports)has many times been an outlet of normalcy for a few hours while dealing with or going through things such as medical treatments, death of a close family member, or unforeseen disasters such as 911. Sports being played are important for several reasons and one of those reasons is it’s use as a tool of distraction. And I’m sure we could all use a distraction very, very soon.

Stay safe NatsTown!

Let’s go Naaaaaaaaats! “Defending Champs”!!!  :cheers:

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #42: March 19, 2020, 08:41:27 AM »
Correct me if I’m wrong, if the players are guaranteed at least 50% of their salary if no games are played, why wouldn’t the owners try to push the players out on the field in an attempt to collect some percentage of tv revenue? Or do the owners already have insurance in place to cover any unforeseen disasters such as coronavirus?[...]

I think all MLB player contracts are fully guaranteed.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #43: March 19, 2020, 08:49:07 AM »
I think all MLB player contracts are fully guaranteed.
I mean, there is likely some sort of caveat about things off the field and outside of the owners control

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #44: March 19, 2020, 01:23:15 PM »
I’d like to change my vote to this season will be canceled.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #45: March 19, 2020, 01:35:02 PM »
Poll is still giving us the finger. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #46: March 19, 2020, 07:54:51 PM »
Cancelled my annual MLB At Bat subscription--would they have charged me even with no games? Probably.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #47: March 19, 2020, 08:02:35 PM »
I’d like to change my vote to this season will be canceled.

Nah. The playoffs might be as that's when the second wave of COVID-19 will be rearing its ugly head.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #48: March 19, 2020, 08:06:12 PM »
Unless Major League Baseball and the Players Association agree to play some games with no fans in the stands, I can’t see there being a 2020 season IMO.
Stay safe NatsTown!

Let’s go Naaaaaaaaats! “Defending Champs”!!!  :cheers:
These aren't mere scraps, these are wise points. 

No way in heck they play in front of anything like a normal stadium with fans.  Maybe they will do stuff like invite SPH to attend games on an invite basis to assure they are widely scattered around the park.  Maybe they could squeeze in 7000 s night, if it is worth it to bring that few in?  But it will be like one block of 4, then 4 seats on either side, and 2 vacant rows.  But you will get some crowd noise and the TV can broadcast.

TBH, I'm concerned about 2021.   That just 12 months from now, and they are saying 18 months to 2 years for a vaccine. 

Offline ajcartwright

« Reply #49: March 19, 2020, 08:35:21 PM »
what a nightmare of a non season