Author Topic: DC government recommends canceling all events over 1000 people until March 31  (Read 1642 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
With NBA cancelled, I'm sure the NHL will follow shortly.   There's not going to be any sports for a while.

Yep

Offline HalfSmokes

Have conference tournaments this weekend been cancelled yet?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Have conference tournaments this weekend been cancelled yet?

They will be

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
With NBA cancelled, I'm sure the NHL will follow shortly.   There's not going to be any sports for a while.

Hopefully MLB  TV will play the World Series on a continuous loop. The Nats won, BTW.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I saw the piece that Seattle and Oakland are planning to move their first home games to away locations

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/11/mariners-home-games-mlb-coronavirus/

That's going to be an N/A.  The season will not start as scheduled.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

Nationals cancel the Homecoming Gala on March 23.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I’m wondering if they are going to cancel spring training games.

Offline rileyn

Just curious, why do some posters care what forum this thread, or any other, is located?

Offline Natsinpwc

I’m wondering if they are going to cancel spring training games.
Surprised it's not happened already--especially with the elderly populations in Florida and Arizona. 

Offline 1995hoo

Hearing MLS will suspend their season as well.

At least with baseball, if you delay the start of the season, in theory you can play doubleheaders to try to play as much of the full schedule as possible.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Hearing MLS will suspend their season as well.

At least with baseball, if you delay the start of the season, in theory you can play doubleheaders to try to play as much of the full schedule as possible.
They won't play a bunch if DHers. Theyll just shorten the season.

Offline 1995hoo

I strongly suspect one reason teams are trying not to cancel anything probably has to do with insurance coverage. I suspect (but do not know for certain) that sports teams almost certainly have some sort of coverage against financial losses caused by pandemics or similar events, but the policies most likely provide coverage for "involuntary" cancellations. Thus, the owners likely want to be "forced" to cancel, either by the government or by the league office. (Of course, the league office is theoretically controlled by the owners....)

They won't play a bunch if DHers. Theyll just shorten the season.

I did say "in theory."

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I strongly suspect one reason teams are trying not to cancel anything probably has to do with insurance coverage. I suspect (but do not know for certain) that sports teams almost certainly have some sort of coverage against financial losses caused by pandemics or similar events, but the policies most likely provide coverage for "involuntary" cancellations. Thus, the owners likely want to be "forced" to cancel, either by the government or by the league office. (Of course, the league office is theoretically controlled by the owners....)

I did say "in theory."

In theory, they wont play a bunch of doubleheaders

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
At least we got in our world series win before the shut down, unlike 1994.