Author Topic: Ticket Gripe  (Read 620 times)

Offline Senatorswin

Ticket Gripe
« Topic Start: February 19, 2020, 11:28:55 AM »
Many of you may not agree with this but I think it's a rip off to charge high "convenience" fees for tickets and then not make it convenient. I bought tickets for the second game of the season in New York. If I buy tickets around here for Nats or whatever I go to the box office and get the tickets in my hand. Obviously I can't go up to New York and do that. So I paid the extra fees they tack on. Unfortunately I need to use an APP and access the tickets with my phone 24 hours before the game. I'm sure this is no issue for a seven year old who does things like that all the time but for an old guy like me it's a pain in the ass. If you're going to charge as much as they charge for the right to buy the ticket they should at the very least let you print them out.

Offline Count Walewski

Re: Ticket Gripe
« Reply #1: February 19, 2020, 12:14:45 PM »
Digital tickets are kind of a wild west situation because there is no 100% dominant standard and rules vary wildly between teams, and even at the same team from season to season.

For example, Washington's XFL Team accepts only digital tickets for games at Audi Field, and you can only show them digital tickets in your Apple Wallet (on an iPhone), the XFL app (which like 5 people have), or whatever Android's equivalent of the Apple Wallet is. You cannot show a screenshot of the ticket, nor can you show them a PDF from your email app, even though there are other places (like an MLB game or an airport) where showing a screenshot or a PDF attachment is just fine.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2: February 19, 2020, 12:15:17 PM »
Many of you may not agree with this but I think it's a rip off to charge high "convenience" fees for tickets and then not make it convenient. I bought tickets for the second game of the season in New York. If I buy tickets around here for Nats or whatever I go to the box office and get the tickets in my hand. Obviously I can't go up to New York and do that. So I paid the extra fees they tack on. Unfortunately I need to use an APP and access the tickets with my phone 24 hours before the game. I'm sure this is no issue for a seven year old who does things like that all the time but for an old guy like me it's a pain in the ass. If you're going to charge as much as they charge for the right to buy the ticket they should at the very least let you print them out.

I have a phone that can't do APPS.     I appreciate this post because I had been considering going to NY, Pittsburgh, etc. to catch a few games.     Guess I better figure out a Plan B.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #3: February 19, 2020, 06:50:16 PM »
I have a phone that can't do APPS.     I appreciate this post because I had been considering going to NY, Pittsburgh, etc. to catch a few games.     Guess I better figure out a Plan B.

I saw a game in Pittsburg last year but I don't remember what their deal was. I know it wasn't an APP though. Of course the way things are that could have changed by now.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #4: February 19, 2020, 06:51:16 PM »
Digital tickets are kind of a wild west situation because there is no 100% dominant standard and rules vary wildly between teams, and even at the same team from season to season.

For example, Washington's XFL Team accepts only digital tickets for games at Audi Field, and you can only show them digital tickets in your Apple Wallet (on an iPhone), the XFL app (which like 5 people have), or whatever Android's equivalent of the Apple Wallet is. You cannot show a screenshot of the ticket, nor can you show them a PDF from your email app, even though there are other places (like an MLB game or an airport) where showing a screenshot or a PDF attachment is just fine.

I guess if I go to a XFL game I'll need to buy at the gate then.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #5: February 19, 2020, 06:55:17 PM »
I saw a game in Pittsburg last year but I don't remember what their deal was. I know it wasn't an APP though. Of course the way things are that could have changed by now.

I saw the Nats there a few years ago.     At that time, we printed the tickets online before we made the trip.   I'll have to see what they're up to now.     I don't think my sister will go to the stadium to pick up tickets for me.         :)      Of course, I may be able to get game day, walk up tickets based on the Pirates' draw at PNC.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #6: February 19, 2020, 07:24:48 PM »
I saw the Nats there a few years ago.     At that time, we printed the tickets online before we made the trip.   I'll have to see what they're up to now.     I don't think my sister will go to the stadium to pick up tickets for me.         :)      Of course, I may be able to get game day, walk up tickets based on the Pirates' draw at PNC.
Had a friend tell me Atlanta is all electronic now.  Not sure about Pittsburgh?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #7: February 19, 2020, 07:50:30 PM »

I can't believe you can't buy from your laptop and print tickets.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #8: February 19, 2020, 07:52:23 PM »
That's terrible.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: February 19, 2020, 08:22:03 PM »
That’s Audi field- I’m torn, for me it’s convenient and the lines move faster, but it definitely sucks for people without modern phones

Offline mitlen

« Reply #10: February 19, 2020, 08:26:37 PM »
I can't believe you can't buy from your laptop and print tickets.

I'll find out.    :lol: 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #11: February 19, 2020, 08:54:24 PM »
That’s Audi field- I’m torn, for me it’s convenient and the lines move faster, but it definitely sucks for people without modern phones

Last time we did electronic at Nats Park I had a hard time with the screen not being bright enough. Maybe the screen protector was less than optimal, but it almost turned into a real drag.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #12: February 19, 2020, 08:55:08 PM »
I'll find out.    :lol:

If not, you'll need a burner phone.  :mg:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #13: February 19, 2020, 09:04:31 PM »
If not, you'll need a burner phone.  :mg:

I have a "brick" (father-in-law's old phone) and have thought about having my "stuff" moved there.   

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #14: February 19, 2020, 09:18:06 PM »
I have a "brick" (father-in-law's old phone) and have thought about having my "stuff" moved there.   
I had all my stuff in a cloud decades ago.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #15: February 19, 2020, 09:19:41 PM »
I had all my stuff in a cloud decades ago.

I don't think I'm ready for that (technology wise).     However, I was an astronaut at one time.       :pimp:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #16: February 20, 2020, 08:58:07 AM »
Last time we did electronic at Nats Park I had a hard time with the screen not being bright enough. Maybe the screen protector was less than optimal, but it almost turned into a real drag.

I tried the ballpark app for the first time for the SPH hot stove event a few weeks ago, and had to be waived in when I could not get it to display.  I probably should have rebooted the phone or something to get a better connection, but yes, this is a cluster[mishap]

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #17: February 21, 2020, 10:14:23 PM »
At least last year; once the ticket is in your account you can forward via email, sell thru stub hub, exchange, or print!  Not sure if that’s changed this year.

Btw no exchanges until mid March per my rep!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #18: March 02, 2020, 07:06:49 AM »
Closer to home: just brought up the ticket inventory on My Nationals Tickets and the option 'print tickets' is no longer available. (Very concerning since I don't have a smartphone.)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #19: March 02, 2020, 07:20:53 AM »
Closer to home: just brought up the ticket inventory on My Nationals Tickets and the option 'print tickets' is no longer available. (Very concerning since I don't have a smartphone.)

Sounds like a call to your ticket rep is in order. Is the option to have them print tickets and mail them to season ticket holders no longer available (which is what they did back in the day)?  :oldy:

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #20: March 02, 2020, 07:22:29 AM »
Sounds like a call to your ticket rep is in order. Is the option to have them print tickets and mail them to season ticket holders no longer available (which is what they did back in the day)?  :oldy:

I've just now E-mailed my rep.

UPDATING: Just heard from my ticket rep - the 'print ticket' option is one of a number of functionalities on the My Nationals Tickets site that hasn't yet been activated. It should be activated before too much longer - we will definitely be able to print our tickets just like last season.