Author Topic: New Playoff Proposals  (Read 1001 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
New Playoff Proposals
« Topic Start: February 10, 2020, 06:10:34 PM »
This seems incredibly dumb.

Major League Baseball is planning radical changes to the playoffs to begin in 2022. The changes, summarized:

Seven playoff teams in each league, up from five
Team with best record in each league gets first-round bye
Two division winners and best wild card team host best-of-three series against bottom three wild cards
Division winner with second-best record gets to pick first-round opponent from three wild cards
Division winner with third-best record gets to pick first-round opponent afterwards
MLB would host a reality TV-esque show on the Sunday night of the day the regular season ends in which teams select their playoff opponents. Sherman likens it to the NCAA selection show.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/02/10/report-mlb-planning-radical-changes-to-playoff-format/

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: New Playoff Proposals
« Reply #1: February 10, 2020, 06:14:05 PM »
So the regular season gets that much more meaningless

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #2: February 10, 2020, 06:33:53 PM »
Honestly the reality TV component makes me hate it less than I would otherwise.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #3: February 10, 2020, 06:38:05 PM »
Just drop the idea right now.  It' not even worthy of discussion.

There are numerous flaws but one that strikes me immediately is having teams pick their opponent.   Teams don't want to do that. It's one thing to play hard at the end of the season  in order to get to play the team you want to play.   It's quite another to have to declare publicly that you want to play a specific team.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #4: February 10, 2020, 06:41:45 PM »
This seems incredibly dumb.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/02/10/report-mlb-planning-radical-changes-to-playoff-format/
Actually sounds like fun to me. Kind of inevitable that baseball would match playoffs to match other sports.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: February 10, 2020, 06:43:30 PM »
Just drop the idea right now.  It' not even worthy of discussion.

There are numerous flaws but one that strikes me immediately is having teams pick their opponent.   Teams don't want to do that. It's one thing to play hard at the end of the season  in order to get to play the team you want to play.   It's quite another to have to declare publicly that you want to play a specific team.
That seems like the best part. And getting rid of the one game wild card game.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #6: February 10, 2020, 06:54:57 PM »
Awful.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #7: February 10, 2020, 06:55:06 PM »
I hate it.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #8: February 10, 2020, 07:21:38 PM »
So the regular season gets that much more meaningless

But the 20th game with the Marlins holds playoff implications, doesn't that make you want to go out to 81 games?

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #9: February 10, 2020, 07:22:21 PM »
Manfred needs to take over the WWE and leave MLB alone

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #10: February 10, 2020, 08:53:29 PM »
This isnt serious. It's to get the talk off the Astros.

Too dumb to be real.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #11: February 10, 2020, 10:03:26 PM »
I really hope this goes nowhere.  I really thought the move of adding the second wild card was brilliant.  It kept more teams alive longer while at the same time making winning the division significantly more valuable.   

The proposed format kind of stinks for the #1 seed.  They'd wait around getting cold while the team they are facing gets in playoff mode and still has pitching lined up for their ace in game 1 in the second series.   

Offline rileyn

« Reply #12: February 10, 2020, 10:05:05 PM »
This doesn’t bother me at all.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

« Reply #13: February 10, 2020, 10:09:57 PM »
“Baseball for people that hate baseball”

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #14: February 11, 2020, 08:12:11 AM »
This isnt serious. It's to get the talk off the Astros.

Too dumb to be real.

Agreed...anything to blow the cheating scandals off the front pages, homepages and sports talk shows. That's probably why it was purposely designed as outrageous as it is (Vince Quinn's talk show last night concentrated on almost nothing but this proposal).

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #15: February 11, 2020, 08:44:12 AM »
A few other ideas Manfred is considering:

- Teams will bring their mascots to away games and race against the home team's mascot.  Winning team's mascot gets a run
- Fans pick the pitches
- Each team gets an exploding ball to use once per game. If the opposing team swings and hits it, it's an automatic out
- Playoff shuffle - each playoff team gets to pick five players from teams that didn't make the playoffs
- Yankees get an automatic bye to the WS every year
- Relievers must pitch five innings to speed the game
- Virtual reality goggles at every seat to give fans the experience of being on the field
- Mic'ng the pitcher/manager/catcher/infielder mound conferencing and broadcasting over the stadium PA system

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #16: February 11, 2020, 08:54:08 AM »
Consider also that with 4 wildcards per league, you would see more teams in the playoff chase every year and more teams going for it every year as opposed to tanking. So given what has been happening with the free agent market recently, this is something the player's union is clearly going to get behind. I think this proposal has more to do with the upcoming CBA negotiations than with the Astros scandal.

Not only would I watch the heck out of the selection show, but picking your playoff opponent adds strategic depth to the baseball postseason. If you are the #2 seed, do you just automatically pick the #7 seed because they had the worst record? Or do you pick somebody else if, say, the #7 seed is an otherwise bad team that happens to have 2 great SP's and thus not somebody you want to face in a 3-game series.

If you think the single-game WC playoff is an abomination, this proposal jettisons that for 3-game series instead.

The expansion of the wildcard has been an unmitigated success and I think it is natural for Manfred to want to expand it.

I would much rather that Manfred mess with the design of the postseason than mess with actual gameplay. I am not a fan of limiting the number of pitching changes, and one of my great fears is that MLB will implement Manfred's idea of starting extra innings with a runner on second.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #17: February 11, 2020, 09:09:27 AM »
I think the current system already makes it kind of a crapshoot - the strongest teams are never more than 20-25% likely to win the World Series and that wouldn't change under this proposal since they'd play the same number of rounds. The fairest system to reward the regular season would be two pennant winners facing each other, and since that's not going to happen I feel like whatever makes for the most exciting postseason is fine. I'm a huge fan of taking away the single wildcard game and having 3-game series, and I'm also a fan of keeping more teams within striking distance so fewer teams tank every year.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: February 11, 2020, 09:33:01 AM »
I think the current system already makes it kind of a crapshoot - the strongest teams are never more than 20-25% likely to win the World Series and that wouldn't change under this proposal since they'd play the same number of rounds. The fairest system to reward the regular season would be two pennant winners facing each other, and since that's not going to happen I feel like whatever makes for the most exciting postseason is fine. I'm a huge fan of taking away the single wildcard game and having 3-game series, and I'm also a fan of keeping more teams within striking distance so fewer teams tank every year.

freak it- everyone in- bottom 24 in a single elimination tournament, top 2 advance to normal playoff with the 6 that got to sit it out

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #19: February 11, 2020, 09:39:33 AM »
freak it- everyone in- bottom 24 in a single elimination tournament, top 2 advance to normal playoff with the 6 that got to sit it out

Would be fun!

I just think the pearl-clutching is a little much. Everyone's like "it disrespects the regular season" - dude no one on earth can remember the top records from like 3-4 years ago. My main concern would be, does it change the likelihood of the best teams winning the World Series? I don't really think it does.

Like tell me the 2016 AL East standings in your head. If you had this you're lying:

1. Red Sox
2. Orioles
3. Blue Jays
4. Yankees
5. Rays

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #20: February 11, 2020, 10:15:51 AM »
October Madness.

Offline ajcartwright

« Reply #21: February 11, 2020, 10:36:16 AM »
don't mess up the game
acknowledge the perfection
status quo is good

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #22: February 11, 2020, 10:38:09 AM »
don't mess up the game
acknowledge the perfection
status quo is good
Final series should be in a warm weather neutral site.  Call it the Super Series.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #23: February 11, 2020, 10:46:02 AM »
Guys, the Manfred proposal makes the regular season more meaningful because now you care about your record compared to the other playoff teams. Like, the division champs in the 14 playoff teams and a TV show format will care about whether they have the best record, second best record, or third best record because there are meaningful differences between those.

Right now there is a huge advantage to winning your division, but only marginal advantage for being the #1 seed versus the #3 seed. The Manfred proposal changes this.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #24: February 11, 2020, 11:09:26 AM »
Final series should be in a warm weather neutral site.  Call it the Super Series.

And a 45-minute 7th inning stretch show each night