Author Topic: Recommend a gas grill  (Read 1177 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Recommend a gas grill
« Topic Start: January 29, 2020, 01:19:12 PM »
Looking for an entry-level gas grill, quality but it doesn't need to be very large (just making food for the family).

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Recommend a gas grill
« Reply #1: January 29, 2020, 01:25:44 PM »
I’ve had a Weber genesis for almost a decade now- had to replace the grates and the covers that go over the burners (Weber has a fancy name) a year ago- other than that, I haven’t bothered with a cover in years, it’s reliable and well made

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2: January 29, 2020, 01:34:25 PM »
I’ve had a Weber genesis for almost a decade now- had to replace the grates and the covers that go over the burners (Weber has a fancy name) a year ago- other than that, I haven’t bothered with a cover in years, it’s reliable and well made

Seconded. And the cast iron grates  sear nicely. And parts are widely available.

I had my previous Weber for... 25 years?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #3: January 29, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »
Looking for an entry-level gas grill, quality but it doesn't need to be very large (just making food for the family).

You can have mine if you want it.  I'm moving and won't be taking it. The only problem with it is the ignitor button doesn't work anymore. They probably make universal replacement ignitors but I never bothered. I just use a multi purpose lighter.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4: January 29, 2020, 04:50:28 PM »
You can have mine if you want it.  I'm moving and won't be taking it. The only problem with it is the ignitor button doesn't work anymore. They probably make universal replacement ignitors but I never bothered. I just use a multi purpose lighter.
What brand? I replaced my ignitor switch on my Weber with ease. Plenty of online videos available.

Anyway Chief, if you get his grill, take a look at https://www.grillgrate.com/

They make grates out of a specially anodized aluminum. They get hotter than the cast iron or stainless steel, their unique design  gives you terrific looking sear marks with ease.

I do one side of my grill with those and one side with "normal" grates. I can get a quick sear and then let it finish cooking on the other side.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #5: January 29, 2020, 04:52:18 PM »
Cast iron or you're a hipster.  :mg:

What brand? I replaced my ignitor switch on my Weber with ease. Plenty of online videos available.

Anyway Chief, if you get his grill, take a look at https://www.grillgrate.com/

They make grates out of a specially anodized aluminum. They get hotter than the cast iron or stainless steel, their unique design  gives you terrific looking sear marks with ease.

I do one side of my grill with those and one side with "normal" grates. I can get a quick sear and then let it finish cooking on the other side.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #6: January 29, 2020, 05:11:35 PM »
It's Slate so...  I should do the opposite of what he says? :shrug: :mg:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #7: January 29, 2020, 05:23:58 PM »
i've got this one and have really liked it

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/gas-grills/8464539?x429=true&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAiA98TxBRBtEiwAVRLqu6cLPlO24kCWkmrEOv7PqER_k4F_BFP1i2_p8J59kND592VJ0CWRvhoCGMwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

ignitor broke after like 9 months but they sent me a new one for free and despite being completely incompetent at all things like that i was able to repair it easily

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #8: January 29, 2020, 05:27:18 PM »
My guess is that Slate knows meat.

It's Slate so...  I should do the opposite of what he says? :shrug: :mg:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #9: January 29, 2020, 05:39:12 PM »

It's a Brinkman. I think Home Depot bought out their inventory when they went bankrupt and sold them for a reasonable price.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #10: January 29, 2020, 06:22:18 PM »
I have a Weber Spirit II E-310. Got it last July—my mother gave it to my wife and me as an anniversary present to replace our Weber Genesis Silver B after the gas line snapped and caused a fire on July 13. The Genesis had served really well—my parents (really more my dad) gave it to me in July 2001 as a housewarming present. Creepy thing is, the grill died the Saturday after my father did—it was the first time I used the grill after he died. It’s like it knew.

The Spirit II has been excellent. The igniter is considerably easier to operate than the old grill's was. It has about the same amount of space and it heats up more quickly. The only thing I don’t like as much is that the three burners run front-to-back instead of across (as you face the grill). I thought burners running across worked pretty well for indirect grilling where you turn off the middle burner. I haven’t tried indirect heat that often with the new one, though, so I guess I can’t really say whether this design isn’t as good for that purpose. The grill runs hotter than the old one did, so food cooks a little faster (can be tricky!). The hotter grill has caused one or two incidents, most notably on Thanksgiving when I was heating cedar planks to grill Cornish game hen and the planks caught fire (before the hens were on the grill) and I burned most of the hair off my right hand rescuing them. (I now have a much sturdier pair of grilling gloves.)

I also got Weber's "iGrill3" (I think that’s what it’s called) Bluetooth-enabled meat thermometer system. The guy at Fairfax Propane gave me a deal on that because I bought the grill at the same time. There’s a little black box, somewhat smaller than a hockey puck, that snaps onto the shelf on the right side of the grill. Meat probes plug into that. You load the iGrill app on your phone, tell it what you’re cooking and how you want it done, insert the probes into the meat, and hit the app's button to start cooking when you put the meat on the grill. It dings at you when the meat is 10° below the target temperature so you can get outside to be ready to take the meat off, then it dings again when it’s ready. I’ve found it to be spot-on. My brother initially rolled his eyes at it, but then in September when he and my mom came over for Mom's birthday and I cooked steaks, he asked for his to be done about halfway between rare and medium-rare. So I put the probe in his and watched for 125°. He was astonished to find the steak was done exactly how he liked it. I haven’t used the iGrill too many times, but the times I’ve used it, it’s been outstanding, especially when I first got the grill and didn’t have a sense for how quickly it would cook.

I have also heard good things about the GrillGrates brand grates mentioned further up the thread, though I have not tried them. The fellow on another forum who swears by those did say that you need to pay a lot of attention the first several times you use them because your grill will run significantly hotter than you’re used to, so it will be very easy to overcook food.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #11: January 29, 2020, 06:29:21 PM »
My problem with iGrill is that its bluetooth and the signal doesnt go very far. I am planning on getting a wifi thermometer for my pellet grill set up.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: January 29, 2020, 08:26:38 PM »
I don't like on the Webers how they rotated the burners 90 degrees.  Though I bought one anyway, it F's up the rotisserie because you have hot spots now on the meat.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #13: January 29, 2020, 08:36:12 PM »
I don't like on the Webers how they rotated the burners 90 degrees.  Though I bought one anyway, it F's up the rotisserie because you have hot spots now on the meat.

I guess it depends on use, I’d rather sear and safe left to right than front to back, but if I used a rotisserie I would agree with you

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #14: January 30, 2020, 01:00:33 PM »
My problem with iGrill is that its bluetooth and the signal doesnt go very far. I am planning on getting a wifi thermometer for my pellet grill set up.

That hasn't been an issue for me because the grill is on our deck and the kitchen/family room is adjacent to that, so usually if I'm grilling something I'm right inside there with the TV on. The Bluetooth reaches the living room on the front of the house, too.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #15: January 30, 2020, 04:12:41 PM »

Consumer reports top rated < $300:
1. Nexgrill 730-0830H (Home Depot) - $290
2. Megamaster 720-0983 - $240
3. Even Embers GAS7540AS - $280
4. RevoAce GBC1748WS (Walmart) $160
5. Kenmore PG-40406SOL - $220

Offline Slateman

« Reply #16: January 30, 2020, 04:24:46 PM »
Consumer reports top rated < $300:
1. Nexgrill 730-0830H (Home Depot) - $290
2. Megamaster 720-0983 - $240
3. Even Embers GAS7540AS - $280
4. RevoAce GBC1748WS (Walmart) $160
5. Kenmore PG-40406SOL - $220
Or dont buy crap and spend the money on a Weber.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: January 30, 2020, 04:28:34 PM »
Nice to see zombi kenmore branding still exists

Offline imref

« Reply #18: January 30, 2020, 04:29:11 PM »

That didn't work out so well for the Wizards.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #19: January 30, 2020, 04:32:50 PM »

Screw that. I got a free one ready to go. It comes with a tank of gas, an empty and a cover. I’ll even throw in the lighter. :mg:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #20: January 30, 2020, 04:38:13 PM »
Nice to see zombi kenmore branding still exists

I think Lowes sells Kenmore and Craftsman.

Offline imref

« Reply #21: January 30, 2020, 05:26:42 PM »
I think Lowes sells Kenmore and Craftsman.

yeah, sears sold of the brand years ago.  They just recently sold Diehard to Advance Auto Parts as well.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #22: January 30, 2020, 07:41:57 PM »
Now just cheap crap with a label slapped on- milk them until the reputation is gone then move on

Offline The Chief

« Reply #23: January 31, 2020, 11:07:15 AM »
Screw that. I got a free one ready to go. It comes with a tank of gas, an empty and a cover. I’ll even throw in the lighter. :mg:

Knowing our history you'd probably boobytrap it :mg:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #24: January 31, 2020, 11:15:59 AM »
Knowing our history you'd probably boobytrap it :mg:

One of the things about getting old is your memory starts to fade. ;)