Author Topic: Ryan Zimmerman: Face first in 2020 (at least part time)  (Read 2857 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Seems folks are trying to flim flam the z man

Online imref

Another baby Zimm on the way:

Heather Zimmerman
@HeatherZiMS
FINALLY going through all of my photos from the #WorldSeries and beyond. Cannot wait to see what Baseball 2020 has in store. Oh, and P.S. - YES! Baby boy Zim coming in June! 👶🏼

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Another baby Zimm on the way:

so you are saying Zimm wasn't just on first base down after we clinched a wild card spot?

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

the ovation he gets the first time he walks out to bat at Nats park next year is going to be something.

What month do you think he’ll be healthy enough to play?

Foot problems are over. I'll bet he'll be a good platoon/bench bat.

Where did you hear foot problems were over?

I heard foot problems recurred over Christmas and he injured his hand

Online Five Banners

Trophy hoisting-related, perhaps

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
He tore actually tore the plantar fascia. Pain gone. 

I guess he could have trouble with his other foot.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

I guess he could have trouble with his other foot.

It's still in his other foot.

Zim will be on the IL by June

Offline GburgNatsFan

It's still in his other foot.

Zim will be on the IL by June

Maybe. It sounds like in recent conversations with him that he knows he's a very part time player.

Offline Duke of Earl

If all it takes is to tear it, shouldn't there be a simple surgery/procedure to do that?

Offline GburgNatsFan

If all it takes is to tear it, shouldn't there be a simple surgery/procedure to do that?

There is - orthos do it as a last resort when rest and therapy doesn't work. But is it simple? No. It would be surgery. On a foot. Never simple or risk free. And the tear probably does have some downstream old-age kind of downside.

Zimm mentioned in an interview last year that one of the medical staff he visited told him to get on the treadmill and go hard to tear it. Thing is, as a human, that's hard. PF *forces* you to stop instantaneously. It's that tendonitis pain that makes you flinch.

Offline nats2playoffs

But can Zimmerman make the throw to first base, (as the first baseman), on a grounder hit to him? He couldn't make a throw to 2B or anywhere else in 2019.
 :couch:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
N2P - that is not true at all.  Zimm made throws to 2nd easily on a grounder to 1st

But can Zimmerman make the throw to first base, (as the first baseman), on a grounder hit to him? He couldn't make a throw to 2B or anywhere else in 2019.

Offline Duke of Earl

A first baseman throwing to first on a ground ball is going to be throwing to the pitcher, underhand.  You and I can do that.  The real question is, can he throw to home to get the runner coming from third. This is something a first baseman doesn't often need to do but he absolutely needs to be able to do it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

A first baseman throwing to first on a ground ball is going to be throwing to the pitcher, underhand.  You and I can do that.  The real question is, can he throw to home to get the runner coming from third. This is something a first baseman doesn't often need to do but he absolutely needs to be able to do it.

His shoulder is what it is. Which is to say no, he can't make that throw as well as an average 1B.

Offline HalfSmokes

:shrug: how many runs will that cost them this season vs how many will he generate?

Offline Duke of Earl

:shrug: how many runs will that cost them this season vs how many will he generate?
I don't think it's quite that simple.  We can assume he will generate far more runs than he will cost.  The question is, how does that differential compare with the differential for other first basemen (and we can probably assume that any major league first baseman will generate more runs than he will cost).

Offline GburgNatsFan

I don't think it's quite that simple.  We can assume he will generate far more runs than he will cost.  The question is, how does that differential compare with the differential for other first basemen (and we can probably assume that any major league first baseman will generate more runs than he will cost).

He's going to play once or twice a week and pinch hit.

Here’s the thing.  I was a big Zimmerman fan up until 2012.  He stopped going to winterfest/natsfest.  Then he had this deal about not signing in-person, so I bought some jerseys at auction... he closed himself off... he mildly feuded with Harper (who knows?  Maybe I would have too), Werth and Scherzer ran the clubhouse as leaders, Zim rarely stepped up to the plate to mentor younger players- not even to the level of a newbie like Parra(!), he was around with some clutch hits and walkoffs, i will always give him that, but I saw his skills slowly fade and as they faded I got less interested. 

So at the White House I expected hi to stand up for the ZiMS foundation and stand up for his own mother with MS and make some announcement about increased federal funding for MS research.  Nothing.  After I donated maybe $600 over the last few years... nothing about MS at the White House

So not a nice guy, a fading player, hypocrite over MS... I give up  I just gave up on the guy

Offline aBaltoNat

Interesting take. Thanks for being honest.

Online Natsinpwc

Here’s the thing.  I was a big Zimmerman fan up until 2012.  He stopped going to winterfest/natsfest.  Then he had this deal about not signing in-person, so I bought some jerseys at auction... he closed himself off... he mildly feuded with Harper (who knows?  Maybe I would have too), Werth and Scherzer ran the clubhouse as leaders, Zim rarely stepped up to the plate to mentor younger players- not even to the level of a newbie like Parra(!), he was around with some clutch hits and walkoffs, i will always give him that, but I saw his skills slowly fade and as they faded I got less interested. 

So at the White House I expected hi to stand up for the ZiMS foundation and stand up for his own mother with MS and make some announcement about increased federal funding for MS research.  Nothing.  After I donated maybe $600 over the last few years... nothing about MS at the White House

So not a nice guy, a fading player, hypocrite over MS... I give up  I just gave up on the guy
I don’t recall any feud with Harper?

I don’t think not mentioning MS in public at the White House means he doesn’t support more funding for that. If the administration is not providing more funding trying to publicly embarrass the Prez is probably not the right way to go.

I think in the end this is why it makes no sense to make heroes out of ball players. They’re just like the rest of us and have good and bad qualities.

Online imref

I don’t recall any feud with Harper?

I don’t think not mentioning MS in public at the White House means he doesn’t support more funding for that. If the administration is not providing more funding trying to publicly embarrass the Prez is probably not the right way to go.

I think in the end this is why it makes no sense to make heroes out of ball players. They’re just like the rest of us and have good and bad qualities.

agreed.  I met Zimm once at Potomac and he was cool to both me and my kids.  His foundation also responded to a request I made to send a letter of congratulations to my kids for making Eagle Scout.

Offline UMDNats

People expect too much of athletes sometimes. Zimm is a ballplayer who makes enough money to have a charitable foundation. He's not a social activist like Doolittle or a guy who starts a dugout dance routine like Parra.

I also don't think we have any clue what he is or was like in the clubhouse. Saying he didn't step up to teach younger players seems like a pretty big assumption, not to mention some fued with Harper? Some guys aren't alpha clubhouse guys like Werth (Mr. "I don't want attention but yes I do") and Max, that's all. I like Zimm, he's been a good player for us for a long time and has overall be a net positive on the field and off the field in a lot of areas.