Author Topic: Ryan Zimmerman: Face first in 2020 (at least part time)  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline nfotiu

I was starting to wonder a little bit.   I would have been a little sad if he didn't come back for one more go at it.  Seems this one more year is probably just right for him, the team, and the fans.

Offline nfotiu

From that twitter thread   ....   The Zimmerman deal is a $2-million base salary. Performance bonuses — games and plate appearances — can bring it as high as $5M. If he performs, he plays. If he plays, he earns more.

Offline imref

I was starting to wonder a little bit.   I would have been a little sad if he didn't come back for one more go at it.  Seems this one more year is probably just right for him, the team, and the fans.

Same here and agreed.

Offline CowherPower

I knew it would happen eventually, but I'm SOOO happy it finally happened.  The Nats are getting a great deal here.  The *average* salary in the MLB is over $4m per year now, so this is chump change.  Sure, Zimm could hit that with incentives, but it's still a great deal for the team (especially considering the feel-good factor with the long-term fans).

Online sixthree175

• Born in 1961
I knew it would happen eventually, but I'm SOOO happy it finally happened.  The Nats are getting a great deal here.  The *average* salary in the MLB is over $4m per year now, so this is chump change.  Sure, Zimm could hit that with incentives, but it's still a great deal for the team (especially considering the feel-good factor with the long-term fans).
No downside to this deal.  It tells me that Kieboom will be elbowed out, unless there is a significant injury to one of the veteran infielders.  Just as well -- he's probably not ready for prime time anyway.

Offline Truconfidence

No downside to this deal.  It tells me that Kieboom will be elbowed out, unless there is a significant injury to one of the veteran infielders.  Just as well -- he's probably not ready for prime time anyway.
Dont see that at all. They are going to let him try to win the job but have options if he doesnt but I think the backups on the infield would be the same no matter what. I think he will be down until May still but it's not because he is not ready.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Like with any organization, sometimes the personal dynamics play a big part in getting a team of people to work together.  This move is a sign to other players that the Nats aren't just going to dump a player at the end of their career.

Offline imref

the ovation he gets the first time he walks out to bat at Nats park next year is going to be something.

Offline Senatorswin

He gets the 2 million for them opting out of the 18 million also. Now we're locked and loaded. He's still only 35. If he stays healthy all year and has a good year no reason he can't come back for more. A big if with the health but we'll see. Play ball!!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
The $2MM buyout plus the $2MM guarantee is $4MM, minimum, so that is respectable.  He hits the incentives and gets $3MM more, that probably means that Thames has issues and Kendrick is deployed at 2d and 3d almost exclusively.  If that is the case, then we have 1st covered for a max of $10MM, which is quite reasonable in terms of budget.  Moneywise, this works pretty well for both the player and the team. 

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

I do not understand the Zim love.  He is not healthy, he has significant foot issues last year and he ended on top with the WS.  What a great time to bid farewell

Look at Jayson Werth’s disastrous season with the Mariners where he retired by June.  He would have been a hero if he retired as a Nat.

This season seems sad and more than a little desperate.  I am convinced this season will be a bad idea and he will come off looking bad

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
the ovation he gets the first time he walks out to bat at Nats park next year is going to be something.

I’d rank the ovation he gets as third or fourth highest behind Howie, Strasburg, and maybe Soto.

Online sixthree175

• Born in 1961
I do not understand the Zim love.  He is not healthy, he has significant foot issues last year and he ended on top with the WS.  What a great time to bid farewell

Look at Jayson Werth’s disastrous season with the Mariners where he retired by June.  He would have been a hero if he retired as a Nat.

This season seems sad and more than a little desperate.  I am convinced this season will be a bad idea and he will come off looking bad
Zim (and now Stras) is a Nat For Life.  That was not the case with Werth.  Also, Werth dropped off a cliff in 2017.  Zim is still a decent all around player.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Foot problems are over. I'll bet he'll be a good platoon/bench bat.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Foot problems are over. I'll bet he'll be a good platoon/bench bat.

at $2MM, it's a nice deal for 150 - 200 PAs against lefties. Not much more is needed or expected.

Offline Senatorswin

I saw in the post where Zimms OPS last year against left handers was actually higher (.966) than his career average (.917). A platoon system should work out fine.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
People forget Zim had a resurgence year in 2017. If he can stay healthy I dont see any reason he cant return to form. Was the timing right for him to move on? Absolutely. But some guys want to go as long as they can because its all they have. Just be thankful we have a player who wants to return and eventually retire for the Nats.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
People forget Zim had a resurgence year in 2017. If he can stay healthy I dont see any reason he cant return to form. Was the timing right for him to move on? Absolutely. But some guys want to go as long as they can because its all they have. Just be thankful we have a player who wants to return and eventually retire for the Nats.

He wasn't even close to being the oldest productive guy on the team.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
What's nice though is that we have a 3 pretty productive oldsters competing for 650-700 PAs at 1st in Howie, Thames, and RZ.  Even if one stinks, we are ok if the others are OK. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
https://mobile.twitter.com/britt_ghiroli/status/1222237013052706816?s=21

Here we have the MAGAer authoritarian, demanding corporal punishment

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
https://mobile.twitter.com/britt_ghiroli/status/1222237013052706816?s=21

Here we have the MAGAer authoritarian, demanding corporal punishment
personally, I never had it in for any Corporal I knew, so I don't get punishing them