Author Topic: Extend Turner  (Read 7599 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: Extend Turner
« Reply #75: May 16, 2021, 12:51:50 PM »
Seager out with a broken hand. Pick up the phone Rizzo and call the Dodgers.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #76: May 16, 2021, 12:54:05 PM »
And yet Max and Stras took big contracts with deferrals, right?
I’m not sure what other offers Max had. Strasburg did not appear to explore the market so essentially gave them a hometown discount (on the cash side and not AAV). Can’t expect most players to do that.  Does not make sense economically for the players.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #77: May 16, 2021, 03:10:13 PM »
Seager out with a broken hand. Pick up the phone Rizzo and call the Dodgers.
The Dodgers will just put Max Muncy at SS and Pujols at first, and it will magically work

Online Slateman

« Reply #78: May 16, 2021, 03:33:29 PM »
I’m not sure what other offers Max had. Strasburg did not appear to explore the market so essentially gave them a hometown discount (on the cash side and not AAV). Can’t expect most players to do that.  Does not make sense economically for the players.

Lol, hometown discount

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #79: May 16, 2021, 11:43:08 PM »
And yet Max and Stras took big contracts with deferrals, right?

They did. Doesn’t mean every player will nor does it mean this should be the norm but sadly for the Lerners it is.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #80: May 17, 2021, 09:18:41 AM »
I don't think folks realize just how well Turner is playing this year and the past few. By fWAR, he's top 6 the past 3 years, 1st since the start of 2020, top 4 I think this year. He's ahead of every qualified SS except Xander this year. The big class of free agent SS this year, only Story is close- not Seager, not Correa, not Baez, not even Lindor. Defensively he's picked it up a ton.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #81: May 17, 2021, 09:25:03 AM »
I don't think folks realize just how well Turner is playing this year and the past few. By fWAR, he's top 6 the past 3 years, 1st since the start of 2020, top 4 I think this year. He's ahead of every qualified SS except Xander this year. The big class of free agent SS this year, only Story is close- not Seager, not Correa, not Baez, not even Lindor. Defensively he's picked it up a ton.
Yes his defense has improved.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #82: May 17, 2021, 09:44:38 AM »

Trea Turner has been ridiculously good. The bright lights on Scherzer, Rendon, Strasburg, and Soto have outshined him, but in himself is an elite player.

What do people think his contract looks like? Even with his power lowering his reliance on, at his age and player profile I'd be nervous to to go super long. My guess is 6 years, 25 a year? $150 million?

You could sell me on 6 for more like $165 million. He is just so darn good.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #83: May 17, 2021, 09:51:57 AM »
Trea Turner has been ridiculously good. The bright lights on Scherzer, Rendon, Strasburg, and Soto have outshined him, but in himself is an elite player.

What do people think his contract looks like? Even with his power lowering his reliance on, at his age and player profile I'd be nervous to to go super long. My guess is 6 years, 25 a year? $150 million?

You could sell me on 6 for more like $165 million. He is just so darn good.

Aranado got $32.5 a year spread out over 8 years, with a chunk of it deferred and more of it paid in the first few years, so that's probably a decent comparable.  I'd say he doesn't sign for anything less than $30 million a year over 6 years (and maybe as many as 8 ).  Turner will be 29 when he become a free agent at the end of next year.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #84: May 21, 2021, 11:32:05 PM »
The talk of the infield coach coming to the realization that Trea was playing too close is kind of crazy.  For years, I never understood why such a fast guy had so little range.   It's kind of shocking that no one picked up on that until now, and now he's an elite defender.   I hope that since he's not a Boras guy, we actually have a shot of extending him for a reasonable term.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #85: May 22, 2021, 07:24:50 PM »
The talk of the infield coach coming to the realization that Trea was playing too close is kind of crazy.  For years, I never understood why such a fast guy had so little range.   It's kind of shocking that no one picked up on that until now, and now he's an elite defender.   I hope that since he's not a Boras guy, we actually have a shot of extending him for a reasonable term.
It is like when someone realized Ramos should get lasik.

Baseball is occasionally offensively set in its ways.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #86: June 17, 2021, 07:47:52 AM »
Turner has not hit a HR since May 17 vs. Chicago

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #87: June 20, 2021, 05:02:05 PM »
Turner is the best player at the toughest infield position. He is among the few WS veterans, and the winning experience shows. He's hitting .313 with .839 OPS. He's probably less expensive than finding someone else equally as good.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88: June 20, 2021, 06:26:06 PM »
Turner crushed one to dead center in the first.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #89: June 21, 2021, 02:52:26 PM »
Turner crushed one to dead center in the first.

obviously he reads WNFF and wanted to show Aspenbubba something

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #90: June 21, 2021, 04:40:28 PM »
I'm gonna miss Trea...

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #91: June 21, 2021, 04:47:44 PM »
I'm gonna miss Trea...
It’s just what you have to accept as a small market team.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92: June 21, 2021, 06:24:02 PM »
It’s just what you have to accept as a small market team.
too bad we don't have wealthy owners in it for vanity

Offline Turnertheburner

« Reply #93: June 21, 2021, 07:00:41 PM »
I wish/hope Trey stays on the east coast. With the Nats would be great but I don't see that happening with the Soto love.

I'm a Trey fan from college and became a Nats fan as a result. Lots to love about the Nats. The 2019 team (W/S winners) was by the end of the season the reason baseball is so much fun to follow. A team gets hot at just the right time and unites and beats the odds.

The home coming of Gerardo Parra the other day brought chills (not tears .... well maybe tears) to my eyes. The Nats seem to have a way to mix the old/young/talented/and not so talented to generate a melting pot of baseball winners.   

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #94: June 22, 2021, 11:55:51 AM »
I wish/hope Trey stays on the east coast. With the Nats would be great but I don't see that happening with the Soto love.

I'm a Trey fan from college and became a Nats fan as a result. Lots to love about the Nats. The 2019 team (W/S winners) was by the end of the season the reason baseball is so much fun to follow. A team gets hot at just the right time and unites and beats the odds.

The home coming of Gerardo Parra the other day brought chills (not tears .... well maybe tears) to my eyes. The Nats seem to have a way to mix the old/young/talented/and not so talented to generate a melting pot of baseball winners.   

In the summer of 2015, I was eating breakfast at the Marriott Courtyard in Myrtle Beach. Hearing serious "deep baseball" talk behind me, I turned around as a grey-haired guy got up, leaving another grey-haired guy. "Are you guys scouts?" I asked.

"He's a scout for the Cubs. I was teasing him because I work for the Red Sox", he replied.

We got to talking about scouting and analytics, as I mentioned I was a Nats fan. He showed me where he thought Bryce Harper had a "hole in his swing", adding that "Mike Rizzo has added the best young player I ever scouted. Look for him. He is Trea Turner".

(As I later deduced, I think I was talking with Frank Wren, then a VP in Boston. His son would have played college baseball against Trea)

Offline Turnertheburner

« Reply #95: June 22, 2021, 01:34:26 PM »
In the summer of 2015, I was eating breakfast at the Marriott Courtyard in Myrtle Beach. Hearing serious "deep baseball" talk behind me, I turned around as a grey-haired guy got up, leaving another grey-haired guy. "Are you guys scouts?" I asked.

"He's a scout for the Cubs. I was teasing him because I work for the Red Sox", he replied.

We got to talking about scouting and analytics, as I mentioned I was a Nats fan. He showed me where he thought Bryce Harper had a "hole in his swing", adding that "Mike Rizzo has added the best young player I ever scouted. Look for him. He is Trea Turner".

(As I later deduced, I think I was talking with Frank Wren, then a VP in Boston. His son would have played college baseball against Trea)

Trea and Carlos Rodon were teammates at NC State. You knew they were both very special players from the start. Amazes me how the Florida schools let him leave and go the State. Also amazed me when San Diego traded him away.

Offline GataNats

« Reply #96: June 23, 2021, 03:07:10 AM »

Jorden Wren for Georgia Southern

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97: July 21, 2021, 04:53:58 PM »
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/trea-turner-is-quietly-putting-together-a-career-year/

Turner made some adjustments during 2020 that he has sustained this season. One of those changes is evident in the video of his cycle, with the home run to right center and the triple down the right field line. As recently as 2019, most of Turner’s power was concentrated to the pull side. In 2020, he adjusted his approach and according to Federal Baseball even managed to surprise his hitting coach Kevin Long and manager Dave Martinez with new found power to the opposite field
Turner is set up a bit lower in 2021. His hands are also lower relative to the rest of his stance. He’s got a lot less motion prior to his swing. All of this contributes to a flatter swing plane in 2021 than he had earlier in his career. That may seem counterintuitive for people who love launch angle, but it’s part of what is allowing Turner to meet pitches where they are thrown.
]
Also discusses his improved hard hit rate and how projection systems have him close to a 30/30 year.

Online Slateman

« Reply #98: July 21, 2021, 05:21:22 PM »
He isnt going to steal 30 bases

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99: July 21, 2021, 05:52:13 PM »
He isnt going to steal 30 bases
he's at 20 with 40% of the season left.