Author Topic: 2020 26  (Read 3210 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: 2020 26
« Reply #50: February 21, 2020, 10:12:10 AM »
Thank you JCA. That was inteesting.
mind you, that's fantasy value and not real world.  Doesn't account for defense, for example., and favors traditional counting stats.  Trout was only 3d, behind Yellich and Acuna, but they even said that if you are in OBP league instead of a batting average league, then he's above one or the other.  Turner is not the best Nat player, but he's very valuable in fantasy because the tons of steals go with a very good average and near 20 HR power.  Even though he's a SS, no way in real life he's better than Rendon.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #51: February 21, 2020, 11:04:26 AM »
mind you, that's fantasy value and not real world.  Doesn't account for defense, for example., and favors traditional counting stats.  Trout was only 3d, behind Yellich and Acuna, but they even said that if you are in OBP league instead of a batting average league, then he's above one or the other.  Turner is not the best Nat player, but he's very valuable in fantasy because the tons of steals go with a very good average and near 20 HR power.  Even though he's a SS, no way in real life he's better than Rendon.

that explains why Ramos was on the list. :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52: March 14, 2020, 05:20:20 PM »
Numerous moves today, including releasing Hunter Strickland and David Hernandez.  Several guys sent to the minor league camp.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/14/nationals-release-veteran-reliever-hunter-strickland/

Article points out how this creates an opening for a non-roster invite like Guerra or possibly Bonifacio or Castillo if we go with a 7 man bullpen.  Me, I prefer having this as a flexible roster spot for bringing relievers in and out as needed, as well as guys like Stevenson and the catchers.  Prior to this move, we were likely looking at the 6-7-8 slots in the bullpen being taken by guys without options, and having a bench without optionable guys (RZ, 1 catcher, Howie, Asdribble, and Difo or Sanchez)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #53: March 14, 2020, 05:53:34 PM »
Numerous moves today, including releasing Hunter Strickland ...

Strickland looked like crap on Thursday.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #54: March 14, 2020, 06:28:46 PM »
Strickland looked like crap on Thursday.
Hes looked like crap for two seasons

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55: April 05, 2020, 09:46:20 AM »
Not sure the season will start with just 26 on the roster.  I would think rosters will be around 29, with room for extra pitchers.  That'll likely mean guys like Fedde and some additional relievers, maybe multi-inning guys, would start the season in middle / long relief to pick up for short starts as the regular rotation build their arms back up.

I would think the extra rest might be helpful for Max, Stras, Corbin and Sanchez given they went an extra month in the playoffs last year.  If it is something like a 100 game season, they might better be able to avoid burn out (OTOH, that burnout might happen in the playoffs).

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

« Reply #56: April 06, 2020, 12:47:44 PM »
Not sure the season will start with just 26 on the roster.  I would think rosters will be around 29, with room for extra pitchers.  That'll likely mean guys like Fedde and some additional relievers, maybe multi-inning guys, would start the season in middle / long relief to pick up for short starts as the regular rotation build their arms back up.

I would think the extra rest might be helpful for Max, Stras, Corbin and Sanchez given they went an extra month in the playoffs last year.  If it is something like a 100 game season, they might better be able to avoid burn out (OTOH, that burnout might happen in the playoffs).

I think this is a must. 

If they want to play a real season of 80+ games they have to play an A and B squad over double headers and that requires more pitchers. 

If they don’t do double headers then it’s not as critical. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #57: April 06, 2020, 06:23:08 PM »
I think this is a must. 

If they want to play a real season of 80+ games they have to play an A and B squad over double headers and that requires more pitchers. 

If they don’t do double headers then it’s not as critical. 

Bob Nightengale tweeted a few weeks ago that the expectation is that rosters will be set at 29 to open the season.  I'd assume MLB will try and schedule some doubleheaders to make up games, so the extra players will be necessary.