Author Topic: 2020 26  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: 2020 26
« Reply #25: January 24, 2020, 10:13:19 PM »
Eating nachos and enjoying retirement :)
Only eating nachos on the DL.

Offline Expos

« Reply #26: January 24, 2020, 10:40:16 PM »
I stand corrected:)

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #27: January 24, 2020, 11:24:20 PM »
I think we now know enough to reasonably speculate.

C Gomes/Suzuki
1B Thames/Zim - This platoon should produce nicely.
2B Howie/Cabby - I'm guessing Castro mainly plays 3B.  Cabby keeps Howie fresh with 2-3 starts a week.
3B Castro/Cabby - Castro is much better against lefties, so Cabby can start against some tougher RH matchups.
SS Turner/Difo - I think Difo makes the team as a utility guy.

That's 9 IF.  If Kieboom forces his way up, then Cabby essentially takes the Difo role.  That would be ideal.  If Kieboom isn't the answer, then a 3B bat at the deadline is an option, and likely could be the #1 item on the wishlist.

OF: Eaton, Robles, Soto.  MAT is the #4 guy, unless he's traded to free some salary and replaced with Stevenson.  In that scenario, who plays CF if Robles is out?  Thames is capable of playing a corner spot if needed.  That's 13 position guys.  Do we maybe carry both MAT and Stevenson for 14 total position guys, and go with 7 in the bullpen?  I'm guessing no.

Rotation: Max, Stras, Corbin, Sanchez, Ross
*Fedde with his option in the minors

8 bullen guys:

Voth (Long)
Elias
Strickland
Rainey
Suero
Harris
Huddy
Doo

Now that Zimm is signed...I think you have this spot on besides maybe a BP arm or two....and barring injury.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #28: January 25, 2020, 12:02:40 PM »
I like how this is shaping up for Kieboom.  There's an opportunity, but no spot is conceded to him.  Cabby is signed at back up money, so if it ends up Thames - Castro - Turner - Kieboom, Cabby and RZ are
<-----
guys, and Howie is the super-utility extra bat.  Difo most likely breaks camp with the team.  Sanchez likely clear waivers and can even be taken off the 40 man, I think.  You have depth in case of injury.  Castillo, Read, and Barrera give you plenty of depth at C, so no need to rush other Cs in the system.  Outfield depth is a little thin, with Stevenson really the 5th OF in the minors and Thames being the short-term emergency guy.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #29: January 28, 2020, 12:50:21 PM »
I really want to know what we do when it comes time for a retool. Because this team is like the Old folks home.

Offline phil219

« Reply #30: January 28, 2020, 01:19:57 PM »
Hopefully Robles takes a step forward and would it offend the baseball gods to ask that Kieboom have a Soto-esque rookie season at the plate with a Rendon-type defense in the field?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #31: January 28, 2020, 01:22:29 PM »
I really want to know what we do when it comes time for a retool. Because this team is like the Old folks home.

sign some more big-name FA pitchers.  Turner, Soto, Robles, Kieboom, and Garcia form a nice core of INF/OF for the next several years.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32: January 28, 2020, 02:57:05 PM »
sign some more big-name FA pitchers.  Turner, Soto, Robles, Kieboom, and Garcia form a nice core of INF/OF for the next several years.
you don't have to overpay for good production from an older vet at 1st base.  There's a surplus of guys who can slug but can't move.  The IF should be good for the next 3 years, and 2/3 of the outfield.  Robles's development is critical because he probably has the most upside of the younger vets (Soto I don't think can improve much, except maybe in the field).  You can always find a glove-first C, too.  We are in a better than average spot with Gomes / Suzuki this year, so it is  important that Pineda  become an average MLB bat and an average defensive catcher.   We also have a team option on Eaton for another year, so it might be nice if he plays well enough to exercise it.

Offline vicki4471

« Reply #33: January 29, 2020, 09:16:37 AM »
I feel like this year really could be special. Yes we have an "older" team but we also have young ones too. I think its a good balance . Veteran presence to offset any young hot dogging. The younger the team the more drama that seems to follow. We have the veterans who may be playing with a lot less pressure on them because they finally accomplished that one unattainable goal last year in their world series ring. Several older experienced players knowing they are towards the end of their career playing like they have nothing to lose because in all honesty they dont. They are either going to go up in flames or be spectacular.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #34: January 29, 2020, 08:21:26 PM »
Yeah. I just don’t think he makes the OD roster

Only if injury ahead of him. 

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #35: February 06, 2020, 10:14:23 AM »
Our bats are normally our Achilles heal from season to season. This is not a good lineup offensively. When Turner is your big bat in the IF, you're in trouble. Thames is going to gives us a .240 average, 20-25 home runs, 65 RBI's, 60 runs and a lot of K's platooning with Ryan. Soto has no legitimate protection in the order like Rendon did last year. Rendon-Soto was ridiculous last season as teams figured out quickly Soto is an advanced hitter (second best in the game IMO behind Yelich - he's a better hitter than Trout - he's better than Acuna). People are going to pitch around Soto all season to get to Kendrick or Thames/Zimmerman. You couldn't afford that luxury with Rendon and Soto slotted next to each other.

Two things... pray Robles gains 15 pounds of muscle this off-season so he can give you a "young" Cutch type numbers from CF and cross your fingers Kieboom is the real deal and comes up swinging a hot bat. Our pitchers can only do so much to keep games close. They really should have gone after Donaldson (to protect Soto) and then Kris Bryant if Donaldson hadn't worked out. We're going to struggle at the plate this year. Stras, a downward trending Scherzer and the walkasaurus Corbin will have their work cut out for them keeping 0's on the board to keep us in games.

Still feels great saying the Nationals won the WS though.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #36: February 06, 2020, 10:24:13 AM »
Our bats are normally our Achilles heal from season to season.

wat

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37: February 06, 2020, 12:12:53 PM »
Our bats are normally our Achilles heal from season to season. This is not a good lineup offensively. When Turner is your big bat in the IF, you're in trouble. Thames is going to gives us a .240 average, 20-25 home runs, 65 RBI's, 60 runs and a lot of K's platooning with Ryan. Soto has no legitimate protection in the order like Rendon did last year. Rendon-Soto was ridiculous last season as teams figured out quickly Soto is an advanced hitter (second best in the game IMO behind Yelich - he's a better hitter than Trout - he's better than Acuna). People are going to pitch around Soto all season to get to Kendrick or Thames/Zimmerman. You couldn't afford that luxury with Rendon and Soto slotted next to each other.

Two things... pray Robles gains 15 pounds of muscle this off-season so he can give you a "young" Cutch type numbers from CF and cross your fingers Kieboom is the real deal and comes up swinging a hot bat. Our pitchers can only do so much to keep games close. They really should have gone after Donaldson (to protect Soto) and then Kris Bryant if Donaldson hadn't worked out. We're going to struggle at the plate this year. Stras, a downward trending Scherzer and the walkasaurus Corbin will have their work cut out for them keeping 0's on the board to keep us in games.

Still feels great saying the Nationals won the WS though.

No

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #38: February 06, 2020, 01:49:31 PM »
No

Soto is amazing, but I'd love to see the planet on which he's a better hitter than Trout.  Soto had a season last year that was well worth it's top-10 MVP voting recognition.  It still wasn't as good as what Trout did at the same age (20), much less the Trout whose worst OPS in the last 5 years came in a season in which he hit .315 with 29 home runs and won the MVP.   I understand that many people in the Eastern time zone are only dimly aware of what happens in California, but even accounting for that, it's a pretty insane point.   Soto could well be on the path, but he's not even arguably there yet. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #39: February 06, 2020, 01:50:52 PM »
Soto is amazing, but I'd love to see the planet on which he's a better hitter than Trout.  Soto had a season last year that was well worth it's top-10 MVP voting recognition.  It still wasn't as good as what Trout did at the same age (20), much less the Trout whose worst OPS in the last 5 years came in a season in which he hit .315 with 29 home runs and won the MVP.   I understand that many people in the Eastern time zone are only dimly aware of what happens in California, but even accounting for that, it's a pretty insane point.   Soto could well be on the path, but he's not even arguably there yet. 
Let's also not forget where Trout is third on this list . . . 

Online Five Banners

« Reply #40: February 06, 2020, 04:04:43 PM »
Let's also not forget where Trout is third on this list . . .

Sustainable fish?

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #41: February 06, 2020, 09:54:41 PM »
Yelich is the best player in baseball presently. Look at his numbers last season - imagine if he didn’t get hurt prior to the season finishing out. Trout is one of the best of all time, however Yelich is pound for pound the better hitter IMO if we were to start the season tomorrow.

With Soto - the way he can see pitches and make adjustments while in the box shows maturity beyond his years. If he stays the course, he will be the best player to ever wear a Nationals/Senators/Expos uniform. I live in Texas and have watched Trout for years now - when you do 15 fantasy baseball leagues each year, you take in a lot of games on a day to day basis. Trout was phenomenal at 20 - however I would personally take Soto - and he has the ring to prove that he can carry a team when it matters most.

Online Slateman

« Reply #42: February 06, 2020, 09:56:33 PM »
Yelich is the best player in baseball presently. Look at his numbers last season - imagine if he didn’t get hurt prior to the season finishing out. Trout is one of the best of all time, however Yelich is pound for pound the better hitter IMO if we were to start the season tomorrow.
Lol wat

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #43: February 06, 2020, 11:17:25 PM »
Lol wat

Pound for pound maybe, but only because Trout's got about 40 pounds on Yelich.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #44: February 07, 2020, 12:06:43 AM »

With Soto - the way he can see pitches and make adjustments while in the box shows maturity beyond his years. If he stays the course, he will be the best player to ever wear a Nationals/Senators/Expos uniform. I live in Texas and have watched Trout for years now - when you do 15 fantasy baseball leagues each year, you take in a lot of games on a day to day basis. Trout was phenomenal at 20 - however I would personally take Soto - and he has the ring to prove that he can carry a team when it matters most.
:wtf:

I wanted to go with the barbie crack gif but that was too harsh.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #45: February 07, 2020, 03:58:02 AM »
No he's not - I would put Max Scherer above him

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #46: February 07, 2020, 07:32:22 AM »

Assume this is a bait post and I'm not falling for it :) I would like to see the "pound for pound" hitter rankings though - I think Mookie Betts has to be near the top.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #47: February 07, 2020, 08:33:12 AM »
Yelich. Career OPS is .874 and OPS+ is 137.
Trout. 1.000. And 176. Yelich has basically done the last two years what Trout has done his entire career. Let’s see if he can keep it up before calling him the best player. Don’t forget that Trout is a top CF also.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48: February 21, 2020, 08:32:01 AM »
since this is our roster thread, I figured this is a good spot for MLB.com's fantasy rankings of the Nationals, as well as a few formers.  They ranked the top 800 in MLB.
https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-player-preview-fantasy-baseball-rankings
#
11 - Max Scherzer | SP | Nationals | Position rank: SP3
Remains top-tier option despite 2019 injuries.
Projection: 15 W, 268 K, 3.28 ERA, 1.04 WHIP

13 -  Trea Turner | SS | Nationals | Position rank: SS3
Entering age-27 season, speedster remains potential .300/20/40 option.
Projection: 22 HR, 103 R, 75 RBIs, 39 SB, .290 AVG

[16 - Rendon - #2 3b]

17 -  Juan Soto | OF | Nationals | Position rank: OF6
Youngster has potential to get even better.
Projection: 34 HR, 97 R, 106 RBIs, 9 SB, .292 AVG

32 - Patrick Corbin | SP | Nationals | Position rank: SP9
Southpaw has cemented himself as top-12 fantasy starter.
Projection: 13 W, 217 K, 3.57 ERA, 1.23 WHIP

33 - Stephen Strasburg | SP | Nationals | Position rank: SP10
Stayed healthy in 2019, but injury history bumps stock down some.
Projection: 14 W, 228 K, 3.59 ERA, 1.17 WHIP

[40. Bryce Harper | OF | Phillies | Position rank: OF11]

[52. Lucas Giolito | SP | White Sox | Position rank: SP16]

92 - Victor Robles | OF | Nationals | Position rank: OF22
Speedster has 20 HR/30 SB potential in sophomore campaign.
Projection: 17 HR, 70 R, 71 RBIs, 27 SB, .262 AVG

[146. Jesus Luzardo | SP (RP) | Athletics | Position rank: SP45]

174 - Adam Eaton | OF | Nationals | Position rank: OF42
Multi-category contributor remains useful in most leagues.
Projection: 15 HR, 90 R, 65 RBIs, 12 SB, .282 AVG

[179. Wilson Ramos | C | Mets | Position rank: C9]

182 - Sean Doolittle | RP | Nationals | Position rank: RP21
Injury-prone lefty could regain closer's role.
Projection: 19 SV, 66 K, 4.07 ERA, 1.20 WHIP

220. Kurt Suzuki | C | Nationals | Position rank: C14

315. Aníbal Sánchez | SP | Nationals | Position rank: SP99

322. Howie Kendrick | 1B (2B, 3B) | Nationals | Position rank: 1B20

330. Daniel Hudson | RP | Nationals | Position rank: RP33

[348. Blake Treinen | RP | Dodgers | Position rank: RP34]

361. Carter Kieboom | SS | Nationals | Position rank: SS26

367. Starlin Castro | 2B (3B) | Nationals | Position rank: 2B28

[377. Reynaldo López | SP | White Sox | Position rank: SP122]

383. Yan Gomes | C | Nationals | Position rank: C27

405. Eric Thames | 1B (OF) | Nationals | Position rank: 1B26

426. Austin Voth | SP | Nationals | Position rank: SP137