Author Topic: 2020 26  (Read 3259 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: 2020 26
« Topic Start: January 07, 2020, 09:03:48 AM »
I think we now know enough to reasonably speculate.

C Gomes/Suzuki
1B Thames/Zim - This platoon should produce nicely.
2B Howie/Cabby - I'm guessing Castro mainly plays 3B.  Cabby keeps Howie fresh with 2-3 starts a week.
3B Castro/Cabby - Castro is much better against lefties, so Cabby can start against some tougher RH matchups.
SS Turner/Difo - I think Difo makes the team as a utility guy.

That's 9 IF.  If Kieboom forces his way up, then Cabby essentially takes the Difo role.  That would be ideal.  If Kieboom isn't the answer, then a 3B bat at the deadline is an option, and likely could be the #1 item on the wishlist.

OF: Eaton, Robles, Soto.  MAT is the #4 guy, unless he's traded to free some salary and replaced with Stevenson.  In that scenario, who plays CF if Robles is out?  Thames is capable of playing a corner spot if needed.  That's 13 position guys.  Do we maybe carry both MAT and Stevenson for 14 total position guys, and go with 7 in the bullpen?  I'm guessing no.

Rotation: Max, Stras, Corbin, Sanchez, Ross
*Fedde with his option in the minors

8 bullen guys:

Voth (Long)
Elias
Strickland
Rainey
Suero
Harris
Huddy
Doo

Stevenson, Noll, and Kieboom, along with Barrera and Read, are at Fresno as depth pieces when guys get DL'd.  Sanchez, too, if he clears waivers.  I don't see the team releasing Voth in order to have Javy as the long man.  Voth is guaranteed a roster slot, I/M/O, as is Ross.  Guerra, if anything, is in a competition with Strickland, Abad, Elias, Hernandez, Austen Williams, and Finnegan for 2 roster slots.  If they try to keep a vet at the expense of another bullpen slot, then Rainey is exposed, but I suspect Finnegan, Braymer, and Williams may be stashed at Harrisburg for a quick call up if needed.