Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2020)  (Read 11364 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2020)
« Reply #275: October 22, 2020, 05:08:59 PM »
Not vienna sausages? Too redneck for them?

The panhandlers around here seem partial to the Underwood potted meat/Hurricane forty combo meal

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #276: October 22, 2020, 08:26:17 PM »
Not sure what the ideal price point is for cased meat products but the Underwood seems to have the cred.
Not vienna sausages? Too redneck for them?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #277: October 22, 2020, 09:03:15 PM »
I made pho for the first time this weekend. It took a long time, but it wasn’t hard. I had some oxtail and six lbs of beef shins. I braised a brisket and also had ribeye. Also a chicken carcass.

It was so good. Comparable to a neighborhood restaurant. I let it simmer for 18 hours.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #278: October 22, 2020, 09:49:31 PM »
18 hours  :shock:

:clap:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #279: October 22, 2020, 09:51:01 PM »
Vienna sausages under the description of ingredients says "Potted meat food product." I worked at a convenience store when I was 20, and 40 years later I still remember that phrase. :shock:
Not sure what the ideal price point is for cased meat products but the Underwood seems to have the cred.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #280: November 13, 2020, 08:18:25 AM »
Already through 3 cups of tea this AM.  A nice Assam from Quartermaine's.  Their lower end "Assam Choice" tea.  I'm not so into Assams as a general matter to go for single estates, but as far as a scrape the cobwebs morning wake up tea, the stuff has its place in the rotation.  I'll probably use the leaves a second time later this AM before moving onto other stuff.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #281: November 14, 2020, 08:16:44 PM »
Vienna sausages under the description of ingredients says "Potted meat food product." I worked at a convenience store when I was 20, and 40 years later I still remember that phrase. :shock:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #283: November 26, 2020, 11:37:18 AM »
We enjoyed the holiday meal package from Harris Teeter so much last year we're doing it again this year. Bon appetit!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #284: November 26, 2020, 05:06:25 PM »
so, I earned my Thanksgiving dinner by doing an hour and half bike ride in the good weather.  I made a strategic choice on my carbs, going with stuffing, dinner roll, and pecan pie and dropping the mashed candied yams and the mashed potatoes for extra veggies (spinach and mixed veg) in addition to country green beans.  Main course - turkey.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #285: November 26, 2020, 05:10:21 PM »
Searched high and low and couldn’t find the giblets pack in our bird. Hoping that I didn’t bake it into the turkey.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #286: November 26, 2020, 05:44:40 PM »
Smoked a turkey breast this morning after soaking in a brine overnight.  Turned out pretty darn good.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #287: November 26, 2020, 05:50:29 PM »
Smoked a turkey breast this morning after soaking in a brine overnight.  Turned out pretty darn good.
when you smoke a turkey breast, which end do you light?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #288: November 26, 2020, 09:33:50 PM »
At CCSP ?

so, I earned my Thanksgiving dinner by doing an hour and half bike ride in the good weather.  I made a strategic choice on my carbs, going with stuffing, dinner roll, and pecan pie and dropping the mashed candied yams and the mashed potatoes for extra veggies (spinach and mixed veg) in addition to country green beans.  Main course - turkey.

Offline imref

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #290: November 26, 2020, 11:20:08 PM »

Stuffing over mashed potatoes??? I do not understand that choice!

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #292: November 27, 2020, 02:45:37 AM »
Good stuffing is not an everyday possibility

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #293: November 27, 2020, 02:50:15 AM »
This turkey recipe was the star at our house.  The brown ale gravy far surpassed the traditional take out gravy from Fresh Market:

https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/brown-ale-turkey-and-gravy

Offline imref

« Reply #294: November 27, 2020, 09:24:32 AM »
This turkey recipe was the star at our house.  The brown ale gravy far surpassed the traditional take out gravy from Fresh Market:

https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/brown-ale-turkey-and-gravy

Paywalled.

I love milk street. We made their chicken tinga tacos recipe a few days ago but I’m too cheap to subscribe :)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #296: November 27, 2020, 10:32:03 AM »
mashed potatoes do nothing for me.  I swap them out whenever I can.  To me, it's sinful to take a potato to mash it up when it can be so good when baked, roasted, or even boiled and kept in chunks.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #297: November 27, 2020, 10:40:40 AM »
mashed potatoes do nothing for me.  I swap them out whenever I can.  To me, it's sinful to take a potato to mash it up when it can be so good when baked, roasted, or even boiled and kept in chunks.

While there are decent options there, certainly, none of them have that blend of potato, cream, garlic, butter, and light herbs that you get. Especially if you use something like small, skin on, red potatoes.  I will absolutely, 100% of the time, take mashed potatoes over anything else in the thanksgiving meal except turkey breast. Pie can be totally skipped and eaten some other time. Decadent amounts of mashed potatoes is like two days a year, max.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #298: November 27, 2020, 10:54:26 AM »
While there are decent options there, certainly, none of them have that blend of potato, cream, garlic, butter, and light herbs that you get. Especially if you use something like small, skin on, red potatoes.  I will absolutely, 100% of the time, take mashed potatoes over anything else in the thanksgiving meal except turkey breast. Pie can be totally skipped and eaten some other time. Decadent amounts of mashed potatoes is like two days a year, max.
I like stuffing and mashed potatoes. Usually we make the mashed potatoes ourselves and that we you can leave some chunks and some skin in them. However yesterday went to son’s place.  Still ate the mashed potatoes and stuffing.  We had some baked potatoes the other day that we roasted in our fire place. Yummy.

Offline imref

« Reply #299: November 27, 2020, 12:07:00 PM »

My favorite recipe as of late is smashed redskin potatoes.  Basically cook the potatoes until they are soft (microwave works fine).  While the potatoes are cooking, melt some butter and olive oil and mix in a couple of cloves of minced garlic and some fresh rosemary.  Once the potatoes are done, put them in a bowl, add the garlic/oil/butter/rosemary. mix, and smash the potatoes a bit with a fork.  Salt and pepper to taste.