Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2020)  (Read 11590 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2020)
« Reply #150: May 10, 2020, 12:09:53 PM »
Which ingredients ?

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess it’s the Ponzu and enoki mushrooms.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #151: May 10, 2020, 01:36:31 PM »
enoki sounds like Thor's other brother.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #152: May 10, 2020, 09:33:59 PM »
Ponzu can be found at most good food stores.  Harris Teeter has it down here.  Enoki mushrooms can be replaced by any mushroom.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #153: May 11, 2020, 09:54:18 AM »
Which ingredients ?

1 (3-inch) kombu square
1/4 ounce katsuobushi

(From the sauce recipe at http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/yuzu-ponzu)

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #154: May 11, 2020, 03:23:41 PM »
If you want to make Ponzu Sauce (instead of buying it off the shelf), here is an easier Ponzu Sauce recipe that we used:

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/ponzu-sauce

1 (3-inch) kombu square
1/4 ounce katsuobushi

(From the sauce recipe at http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/yuzu-ponzu)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #155: May 11, 2020, 03:29:56 PM »
If you want to make Ponzu Sauce (instead of buying it off the shelf), here is an easier Ponzu Sauce recipe that we used:

Is that considered a Ponzu scheme?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #156: May 11, 2020, 03:40:57 PM »
Only the auditors would be concerned

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #157: May 11, 2020, 04:31:18 PM »

the trick is to find two friends to make the sauce for you, then they have to find two friends each, and so on....

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #158: May 11, 2020, 04:56:18 PM »
the trick is to find two friends to make the sauce for you, then they have to find two friends each, and so on....
:rimshot:

Offline imref

« Reply #159: May 11, 2020, 05:35:08 PM »
:rimshot:

I'm here all week, try the veal. :)

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #160: May 11, 2020, 08:47:43 PM »

Thanks. It even has English names for the ingredients.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #161: May 23, 2020, 01:04:29 PM »
My wife’s birthday was yesterday, so for breakfast today I made us huevos rancheros omelets. I’m paying the price now, but they were good and it really surprised her and made her happy because she likes huevos rancheros.

Recipe is from Cuisine at Home magazine's June 2010 issue. The full recipe set out here makes four. I more or less halved it (didn’t measure the amount of beans, sausage, or cilantro—I used two Jimmy Dean sausage patties, cut up, for each omelet).

For the fillings:
8 oz pork breakfast sausage (or you could use chorizo)
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese, divided

For the sauce:
2 cups purchased salsa (I used medium)
1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

For the omelets:
12 eggs, divided
4 tbsp sour cream, divided
Additional sour cream and cilantro for garnish

1) Brown the sausage; transfer to a plate lined with paper towel and set aside.

2) Heat the salsa in a saucepan over medium until warm. Stir in beans and cilantro; keep warm over low heat.

3) Whisk together 3 eggs and 1 tbsp sour cream for the first omelet. Cook the omelet using some of the sausage and cilantro as fillings. Transfer to a plate and keep warm while repeating the process for the other omelet(s) (I put it in the toaster oven at 160°).

4) To serve, spoon some sauce on serving plate, top with omelet, and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and some more cilantro.

Offline imref

« Reply #162: May 23, 2020, 03:21:24 PM »
Sounds good. I made chiliquilles last weekend but used the morning farms soy chorizo flavored crumbles.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #163: May 23, 2020, 04:03:06 PM »
I would have used sausage crumbles (possibly even turkey sausage) except the store was out of those when we were there last weekend, so I got what I could.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #164: May 23, 2020, 07:42:48 PM »
Ms1995hoo has been grumbling about our teakettle for a while now. For her birthday I got her an Instant Pot Zen electric teakettle, although I guess it’s more like an electric samovar than it is a true "tea" kettle. This thing is fast! We made spaghetti carbonara for dinner tonight and I used this thing to boil the water. It can hold 1.5 litres at a time, so I boiled that amount, poured it into the pot and turned on the stove, and then boiled another 1.5 litres (the pot didn’t quite hold all of that amount). The first kettlefull lost the boil after I poured it into the bigger pot on the stove, but it was boiling again by the time I poured in the second kettlefull. Way faster than boiling water on the stove, way less time waiting. I got something like a 25% discount last month gaming the system on an Amazon promo involving American Express points (the promo is over now).

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #165: May 24, 2020, 05:57:05 PM »
We have a Cuisinart electric kettle and I have no idea how we survived without one.

Ms1995hoo has been grumbling about our teakettle for a while now. For her birthday I got her an Instant Pot Zen electric teakettle, although I guess it’s more like an electric samovar than it is a true "tea" kettle. This thing is fast! We made spaghetti carbonara for dinner tonight and I used this thing to boil the water. It can hold 1.5 litres at a time, so I boiled that amount, poured it into the pot and turned on the stove, and then boiled another 1.5 litres (the pot didn’t quite hold all of that amount). The first kettlefull lost the boil after I poured it into the bigger pot on the stove, but it was boiling again by the time I poured in the second kettlefull. Way faster than boiling water on the stove, way less time waiting. I got something like a 25% discount last month gaming the system on an Amazon promo involving American Express points (the promo is over now).

Offline imref

« Reply #166: June 06, 2020, 12:22:44 PM »
Do any of you have experience with smokers?  I'm looking at getting one to do some simple stuff such as brisket and pork shoulder on occasion for a family of four.  I just bought a charcoal grill that has an optional side fire box that I can purchase for $80.  The box attaches to the side of the grill and turns it into a smoker, but it's not sealed all that tightly so I'm not sure how well it will function.  Most of the decent wood burning smokers I've looked at cost around $500-700, way out of my budget.

Alternatively I've looked at pellet smokers that are also outside of my budget, and electric smokers like this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbuilt-Pro-MES-130P-Bluetooth-Digital-Electric-Smoker-MB26073519/306683246.  The electric seems like it will meet my needs, and I don't have to mess with keeping a fire stoked for 16 hours, or buying tons of hardwood.  I'm hoping to spend less than $400.  I don't want to be a competition smoker, or smoke enough meet to feed a village, so the electric seems like it's the best bet.

Any thoughts/advice?

The grill I bought is this one:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Griller-Legacy-33-in-Black-Charcoal-Grill/1000169637

So far I really like it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #167: June 06, 2020, 12:45:54 PM »
I have a traeger- it does the trick, but with a few caveats. It doesnt work if it’s too cold because there is a huge heat transfer between the cooking chamber and the outside and it doesn’t have the ability to maintain a 225 degree Smokey environment (it can keep the temperature, but it’s a cleaner less Smokey burn) if it’s below about 50 outside. Kind of related, but there is no real seal around the door- tons of heat and smoke loss there- I lined both sides with an oven gasket and secure the door with a bungee cord and that helps a lot. Once you do figure the set up out, it’s really a matter of pressing an on button and forgetting about it

Offline ajcartwright

« Reply #168: June 06, 2020, 03:25:33 PM »

The grill I bought is this one:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Griller-Legacy-33-in-Black-Charcoal-Grill/1000169637

So far I really like it.
well, why wouldn't you like it, it has a bottle opener - nice grill

Offline imref

« Reply #169: June 06, 2020, 04:36:55 PM »
well, why wouldn't you like it, it has a bottle opener - nice grill

My son helped me put it together, I told him to save the bottle opener installation for me. :)

Offline imref

« Reply #170: June 06, 2020, 04:38:46 PM »
I have a traeger- it does the trick, but with a few caveats. It doesnt work if it’s too cold because there is a huge heat transfer between the cooking chamber and the outside and it doesn’t have the ability to maintain a 225 degree Smokey environment (it can keep the temperature, but it’s a cleaner less Smokey burn) if it’s below about 50 outside. Kind of related, but there is no real seal around the door- tons of heat and smoke loss there- I lined both sides with an oven gasket and secure the door with a bungee cord and that helps a lot. Once you do figure the set up out, it’s really a matter of pressing an on button and forgetting about it

Which model do you have?

I was in BJs earlier and they had the Pit Boss 700 FB for around $400.  It seems to have mixed reviews.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #171: June 06, 2020, 04:53:34 PM »
I have not made this, and I doubt I ever will, but man does this look good:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/potato-bacon-and-cheddar-tart

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #172: June 06, 2020, 05:35:49 PM »
By the way, if you are looking to dine al fresco tonight, Billy brought back tuna from North Carolina yesterday.  CCSP / CCR have nice meal-portion ahi appetizer and nice size tuna steak sandwiches for under $10 tonight.  The stuff was incredible for lunch yesterday but is still probably fresher than anything else in DC the next day.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #173: June 06, 2020, 05:37:30 PM »
By the way, if you are looking to dine al fresco tonight, Billy brought back tuna from North Carolina yesterday.  CCSP / CCR have nice meal-portion ahi appetizer and nice size tuna steak sandwiches for under $10 tonight.  The stuff was incredible for lunch yesterday but is still probably fresher than anything else in DC the next day.
sounds like it would have made some good sashimi. 

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #174: June 06, 2020, 07:05:29 PM »
We have some scallops my mom ordered for us from Downeast Dayboat. Somewhat expensive, but first-rate seafood. Problem is, we had two pounds in the freezer. My wife thawed the full two pounds. May have to cook one pound tonight and save the other for tomorrow. Can’t save them beyond tomorrow since she thawed them.

That website has fresh-caught Maine halibut available, but the shipping is prohibitive ($50) unless you order a huge amount of it.