Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2020)  (Read 11370 times)

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2020)
« Reply #25: February 10, 2020, 09:11:06 AM »
Has anyone tried cooking with an Air Fryer ?  I would like to hear any suggestions or ideas anyone has run across when using an Air Fryer.
Air fryers are the best. Chicken tastes better. Hell I've even had steak that was fantastic out of it. The seasoning gets infused more into the meat I've found. It's super good. And of course french fries taste like you fried them in oil

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #26: February 25, 2020, 02:26:45 PM »
Tony’s in Fair Lakes is selling pizza for 25 cents a slice today to celebrate their 25th anniversary in business. The wife and I got there shortly after 11 and they were lined up out the door. We ditched that idea and went over to Michaels to get a picture frame. When we got out the line for Tony’s was down the sidewalk in front of the cleaners and bagel shop.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27: February 29, 2020, 11:00:35 AM »
Tony’s in Fair Lakes is selling pizza for 25 cents a slice today to celebrate their 25th anniversary in business. The wife and I got there shortly after 11 and they were lined up out the door. We ditched that idea and went over to Michaels to get a picture frame. When we got out the line for Tony’s was down the sidewalk in front of the cleaners and bagel shop.

It’s amazing what people will do for free crap. And it’s not even free. And I bet if you asked these people “will you wait in this line for an hour and at the end I’ll give you three dollars,” no one would do it.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #28: February 29, 2020, 11:12:11 AM »
It’s amazing what people will do for free crap. And it’s not even free. And I bet if you asked these people “will you wait in this line for an hour and at the end I’ll give you three dollars,” no one would do it.

Monday is free egg McMuffin day if you order on an app. ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #29: February 29, 2020, 04:54:11 PM »
Monday is free egg McMuffin day if you order on an app. ;)
had a couple of their chicken biscuits and a coffee one day this week and got away for $4.07. JCA-AC.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #30: February 29, 2020, 04:58:48 PM »
had a couple of their chicken biscuits and a coffee one day this week and got away for $4.07. JCA-AC.

Atlantic City? Arlington Courthouse? (Or Clarendon?)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31: February 29, 2020, 04:59:35 PM »
Atlantic City? Arlington Courthouse? (Or Clarendon?)
Are Cheap.  Kind of like LAC

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #32: February 29, 2020, 05:01:40 PM »
Are Cheap.  Kind of like LAC

I’m a big fan of their senior coffee deal.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #33: February 29, 2020, 10:18:28 PM »
Except of course of the cost to your body's digestive system.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34: March 01, 2020, 12:50:37 PM »
Except of course of the cost to your body's digestive system.

how long is your intestine when it is stretched out?  I've got plenty of room for chicken biscuits.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #35: March 15, 2020, 10:08:41 PM »
Tried the Popeye’s chicken sandwich tonight.  It was kind of meh. Too much bread in the bun too. Fires were cold and mushy.  I’m sticking with chick-fil-a.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #36: March 15, 2020, 10:26:19 PM »
That was our thought.  But we are sticking to Popeye's spicy chicken

Tried the Popeye’s chicken sandwich tonight.  It was kind of meh. Too much bread in the bun too. Fires were cold and mushy.  I’m sticking with chick-fil-a.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #37: March 15, 2020, 11:14:48 PM »
This page is mostly old wealthy people eating crappy struggle food. Lol.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #38: March 15, 2020, 11:24:48 PM »
Vega - you haven't read enough of this thread

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39: March 16, 2020, 08:54:36 AM »
yes, possibly the worst page of the whole thread.  Just scroll for the last 1995Hoo post to find something interesting.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #40: March 16, 2020, 09:39:25 AM »
I accidentally bought condensed milk when I meant to buy evaporated milk. I eventually did go and get evaporated milk, but now I have a ton of condensed milk (sweetened) and would love ideas on what to do with it during lockdown/quarantine.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41: March 16, 2020, 09:43:36 AM »
I accidentally bought condensed milk when I meant to buy evaporated milk. I eventually did go and get evaporated milk, but now I have a ton of condensed milk (sweetened) and would love ideas on what to do with it during lockdown/quarantine.

Have you had Tres leches cake? Or Flan.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #42: March 16, 2020, 09:52:57 AM »

I use it to make Pumpkin pies - personally I think it tastes better than condensed for that purpose.

Vietnamese iced coffee uses condensed milk in place of regular milk- used it sparingly or the result will be sweet as hell, but tastes great and really is refreshing

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #43: March 16, 2020, 10:00:27 AM »
Mix it with your coffee. Feed it to any undernourished cats.

Online imref

« Reply #44: March 16, 2020, 11:19:16 AM »
I use it to make Pumpkin pies - personally I think it tastes better than condensed for that purpose.

Vietnamese iced coffee uses condensed milk in place of regular milk- used it sparingly or the result will be sweet as hell, but tastes great and really is refreshing

definitely Vietnamese iced coffee.  Thai iced tea too.

Online imref

« Reply #45: March 16, 2020, 11:19:51 AM »
I accidentally bought condensed milk when I meant to buy evaporated milk.

I bought evaporated water once, but didn't know what to add. :rimshot:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #46: March 16, 2020, 11:44:42 AM »

During the steel strike in 1959 (IIRC), the union was giving away powdered eggs.    Pops and I would wait in line.      I swore at that time to never eat powered food products again.    I may be reconsidering that.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #47: March 16, 2020, 01:37:55 PM »
Condensed Milk is great for making desserts.  Here is a great recipe for Chocolate Cheesecake:

https://www.eaglebrand.com/recipe-detail/chocolatecheesecake-4031

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48: March 21, 2020, 09:30:03 PM »
Since I’ve got the time, I wanted to try a recipe I always wanted to. Turkish Manti.  Lamb dumplings with three sauces: Brown Butter, Caramelized Tomato sauce and garlic yogurt sauce.
Making the dumplings from scratch is incredibly time consuming.

https://www.panningtheglobe.com/turkish-manti/

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #49: March 22, 2020, 10:17:13 AM »
Since I’ve got the time, I wanted to try a recipe I always wanted to. Turkish Manti.  Lamb dumplings with three sauces: Brown Butter, Caramelized Tomato sauce and garlic yogurt sauce.
Making the dumplings from scratch is incredibly time consuming.

https://www.panningtheglobe.com/turkish-manti/

That sounds pretty good. I’m bookmarking that for some weekend when we have nothing to do.

Funny, we had lamb last night too. My mom came over for dinner and brought a rack of lamb with her. I didn’t do anything fancy to it, just some pink salt and Florida seasoned pepper before grilling it (five minutes over direct medium, then the rest of the time over indirect medium). The Weber iGrill Bluetooth meat thermometer I got last summer worked perfectly—I told it I wanted a target temperature of 130°, and the meat came out just right. It had been a really long time since I’d cooked rack of lamb, which is why I used the thermometer. Had I followed the timing recommendations I had, it would have been undercooked. Tasted really good. My wife made some potatoes and sautéed some asparagus; I can’t stand asparagus, so I didn’t eat that, but she and my mom really liked it.