Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2020)  (Read 11559 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2020)
« Reply #200: June 18, 2020, 10:10:20 AM »
In any case, it was delicious. Here’s the recipe.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-roast-gochujang-chicken/amp

And here’s how it looked in my kitchen.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #201: June 18, 2020, 10:45:54 AM »
In any case, it was delicious. Here’s the recipe.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-roast-gochujang-chicken/amp

And here’s how it looked in my kitchen.

(Image removed from quote.)
That looks seriously delicious!

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #202: July 03, 2020, 10:10:47 PM »
Ground my own burgers for the first time. 2 parts sirloin, 2 parts brisket, 1 part short rib, 1/2 part bacon. Easily the best burger I’ve ever made and one of the best burgers I’ve ever eaten. Highly recommend grinding your meat, I’m shocked how much of a difference it made. And it made me feel safer cooking it more rare.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #203: July 03, 2020, 10:38:06 PM »
Sounds really good.  Are meat grinders easy to get ?

Ground my own burgers for the first time. 2 parts sirloin, 2 parts brisket, 1 part short rib, 1/2 part bacon. Easily the best burger I’ve ever made and one of the best burgers I’ve ever eaten. Highly recommend grinding your meat, I’m shocked how much of a difference it made. And it made me feel safer cooking it more rare.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #204: July 03, 2020, 10:40:48 PM »
Sounds really good.  Are meat grinders easy to get ?

You can get one for like 40 bucks. If you have a KitchenAid stand mixer it’s so easy to just use the meat grinder attachment.

Offline blue911

« Reply #205: July 04, 2020, 06:19:38 AM »

Do you dry age before grinding?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #206: July 04, 2020, 08:12:35 AM »

That sounds awesome- I’m surprised it’s safer to go rarer with the bacon in the grind (and the exterior of the cuts still there- I thought that was the reason you weren’t supposed to go rare on ground meat)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #207: July 04, 2020, 11:53:23 AM »
That sounds awesome- I’m surprised it’s safer to go rarer with the bacon in the grind (and the exterior of the cuts still there- I thought that was the reason you weren’t supposed to go rare on ground meat)

I was told you can’t go rare on ground beef you buy is because the increased surface area allows bacteria to grow. But if you grind and then cook immediately, it doesn’t have time to grow.

As for the bacon, your probably right,  but it was a small part of the grind and I took my chances.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #208: July 04, 2020, 11:53:42 AM »
Do you dry age before grinding?

No. Should I?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #209: July 04, 2020, 01:24:12 PM »
I was told you can’t go rare on ground beef you buy is because the increased surface area allows bacteria to grow. But if you grind and then cook immediately, it doesn’t have time to grow.

As for the bacon, your probably right,  but it was a small part of the grind and I took my chances.

That makes sense. I always thought that the exterior surface of a piece of meat was the most exposed to bacteria so that had to be cooked, but ground beef took what was the exterior and exposed the rest of the meat to it and put it into the interior of the meat

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #210: July 04, 2020, 01:36:16 PM »
That makes sense. I always thought that the exterior surface of a piece of meat was the most exposed to bacteria so that had to be cooked, but ground beef took what was the exterior and exposed the rest of the meat to it and put it into the interior of the meat

I forgot to mention. I boiled water and then dipped the whole cuts in it for 30 seconds. Then cut up and stuck in the freezer for an hour. Then ground.

Offline blue911

« Reply #211: July 04, 2020, 02:03:31 PM »
No. Should I?

I didn’t know. I think beef tastes better when dry aged but haven’t taken that step when grinding. I think I’ll try it next time I grind beef.

I just picked up 5 lbs of ground brisket to make smoked meatloaf. So It will be awhile before I have a chance.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #212: July 04, 2020, 10:51:34 PM »
Grilled a flank steak and made fajitas this afternoon.  I put a 10 lb butt on around 6:30 tonight.  Should make for a fantastic Sunday dinner.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #213: July 04, 2020, 11:16:30 PM »
I didn’t know. I think beef tastes better when dry aged but haven’t taken that step when grinding. I think I’ll try it next time I grind beef.

I just picked up 5 lbs of ground brisket to make smoked meatloaf. So It will be awhile before I have a chance.

I don’t know how long you age your meat, but if it’s long, I am not sure the tough exterior that occurs with the aging is amenable to grinding.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #214: July 05, 2020, 12:24:25 PM »
Grilled a flank steak and made fajitas this afternoon.  I put a 10 lb butt on around 6:30 tonight.  Should make for a fantastic Sunday dinner.

Butt is off the smoker and wrapped up in a cooler, where it will rest comfortably for the next couple of hours.  Meanwhile, I'll be whipping up a batch of my homemade sauce.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #215: July 05, 2020, 01:07:20 PM »
Butt is off the smoker and wrapped up in a cooler, where it will rest comfortably for the next couple of hours.  Meanwhile, I'll be whipping up a batch of my homemade sauce.
Today was burgers and hot dogs on the grill.  The basics. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #216: July 05, 2020, 01:34:03 PM »
Vegetarian daughter broke down and decided to try fish- sword fish went over well, snapper in an all day marinade getting grilled tonight- here’s hoping for the best

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #217: July 05, 2020, 01:47:46 PM »
Today was burgers and hot dogs on the grill.  The basics.

Nothing wrong with that.  Grilled burgers Thursday and smoked some dogs & sausage Friday.  Teriyaki chicken and beef enchiladas on the grill earlier in the week .  The 30-lb bag of lump I bought ten days ago didn't last nearly as long as I thought it would.  Used the last of it cooking the pork butt overnight.  The bottle of Rare Breed I got for my birthday is also gone.

Offline blue911

« Reply #218: July 05, 2020, 04:33:21 PM »
I don’t know how long you age your meat, but if it’s long, I am not sure the tough exterior that occurs with the aging is amenable to grinding.

That’s a good point it may just shred and block the grinder

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #219: July 11, 2020, 08:42:22 PM »
At take out from a Spanish restaurant in Tampa today.  Called Columbia.  Ybor City section of Tampa. 

Had a nice cuban combo plate. Roast pork, roast beef stuffed with chorizo (think it’s called biloche). Yellow rice, black beans, plantains and yucca. And an empanada stuffed with some sort of beef and vegetables. I guess that part was not Cuban. Black bean soup also and they gave us a ton of Cuban bread.  Very good. Nice place to stop by. They have some other locations in central and western Florida.

https://www.columbiarestaurant.com/Menus-By-Location

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #220: July 11, 2020, 08:51:54 PM »
At take out from a Spanish restaurant in Tampa today.  Called Columbia.  Ybor City section of Tampa. 

Had a nice cuban combo plate. Roast pork, roast beef stuffed with chorizo (think it’s called biloche). Yellow rice, black beans, plantains and yucca. And an empanada stuffed with some sort of beef and vegetables. I guess that part was not Cuban. Black bean soup also and they gave us a ton of Cuban bread.  Very good. Nice place to stop by. They have some other locations in central and western Florida.

Ybor is awesome. Aren’t empinadas Cuban?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #221: July 11, 2020, 09:32:03 PM »
Ybor is awesome. Aren’t empinadas Cuban?
I thought they were more South American. But what do I know.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #222: July 11, 2020, 09:47:06 PM »
I thought they were more South American. But what do I know.

I looked it up. They are of Spanish origin and are popular in Cuba as well as Latin America.  I’ve seen them frequently at Cuban places.  I used to work with a Cuban woman who turned me on to Cuban food years ago.  We frequently make Ropa Vieija and Picadillo as well as fried sweet plantains.  Cuban food is really easy to cook, but my coworker would always remind us that nothing was ever as good as what her grandma made. :) 

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #223: July 12, 2020, 10:37:15 AM »

We’ve been to the Sarasota location on St. Armand's Key (pre-pandemic when you could eat in) and it was very good. I don’t remember what I had, though. It’s been a couple of years.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #224: July 12, 2020, 10:38:50 AM »
We’ve been to the Sarasota location on St. Armand's Key (pre-pandemic when you could eat in) and it was very good. I don’t remember what I had, though. It’s been a couple of years.
I looked up and there is one not too far from Orlando.