Author Topic: Washington [Insert Name Here for an NFL team] Thread (2020)  (Read 16265 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Washington Redskins Thread (2020)
« Reply #2: December 28, 2019, 09:02:46 PM »
Ding dong the witch is dead.  However the Wizard is still there.

The witch will have a reduced role. Not good enough. When things look bad for a game or two, he'll weasel his way back in.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #3: December 28, 2019, 09:26:16 PM »
The witch will have a reduced role. Not good enough. When things look bad for a game or two, he'll weasel his way back in.
They need to bring back Vinny.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #4: December 28, 2019, 09:51:55 PM »
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/sources-redskins-team-president-bruce-allen-will-be-out-running-football-ops-monday

He was supposedly kicked upstairs when Scot was brought on, and we saw how that worked. Unreal that fans are supposed to act like that couldn't happen again

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #5: December 28, 2019, 10:00:13 PM »
He was supposedly kicked upstairs when Scot was brought on, and we saw how that worked. Unreal that fans are supposed to act like that couldn't happen again
This.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #6: December 28, 2019, 10:14:36 PM »
I don’t see this going over well with fans, not after he’s forced out scot and lafamina after supposedly being relieved of duties

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #7: December 29, 2019, 09:34:39 PM »
Redskins lock up #2 pick and a couple national reporters saying it likely will be Ron Rivera as next head coach.

:clap:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: December 29, 2019, 09:38:00 PM »
Redskins lock up #2 pick and a couple national reporters saying it likely will be Ron Rivera as next head coach.

Yay mediocre retread, just what this garbage franchise needs to convince fans to start caring again

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #9: December 29, 2019, 10:01:58 PM »
How about the end of this reign for the current GM ?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #10: December 30, 2019, 12:26:38 AM »
I wonder if Rivera heard about the opening in Cleveland.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #12: December 30, 2019, 07:31:46 AM »
so who gets the be the new president/drinking buddy

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #15: December 30, 2019, 10:31:24 AM »
Yay mediocre retread, just what this garbage franchise needs to convince fans to start caring again
I'm happy with Ron Rivera. This franchise has needed a tough minded, defensive oriented coach for a long time.

There aren't many top candidates out there this offseason. No hot shot coordinators who would make sense. Josh McDaniels nor Eric Bieniemy excite me. Saleh and Roman are non-starters. Would have been happy with David Shaw, Matt Rhule, or Jim Harbaugh, but it seemed like a college coach wasn't an option.

Interested to see who Rivera would bring in on the offensive side. I hope Kevin O'Connell isn't forced on him, but I would be happy if he is brought back. Dwayne Haskins looked better every single week and the offense showed flashes of creativity when protection held up and the score didn't force them to be predictable.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #17: December 30, 2019, 11:10:48 AM »
Seems like Alex Smith, taller, darker, younger, more manly, is his new buddy.

so who gets the be the new president/drinking buddy

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #18: December 30, 2019, 02:40:21 PM »
Rivera is the best-case scenario for the Redskins considering the organization is such a dumpster fire. Plus it sounds like they're crap canning a ton of people like the head trainer.

Riverboat Ron isn't some amazing coach but he's competent enough to keep the team competitive which is way more than you can say for anyone else they could have hired. The Redskins are at a point where competence and not being a joke on and off the field is more important than trying to outsmart everyone with a wonderkind HC.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #19: December 30, 2019, 02:57:27 PM »
Rivera is the best-case scenario for the Redskins considering the organization is such a dumpster fire. Plus it sounds like they're crap canning a ton of people like the head trainer.

Riverboat Ron isn't some amazing coach but he's competent enough to keep the team competitive which is way more than you can say for anyone else they could have hired. The Redskins are at a point where competence and not being a joke on and off the field is more important than trying to outsmart everyone with a wonderkind HC.

Does 9-7 get fans to give a damn again? With whoever he has at an, that’s probably best case scenario

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #20: December 30, 2019, 03:06:16 PM »
Does 9-7 get fans to give a damn again? With whoever he has at an, that’s probably best case scenario
Why is 9-7 best case scenario?

The Redskins were 6-3 last season with Alex Smith at QB. They floated around .500 the few seasons before. Competent coaching and a good offseason could have this team around .500 pretty quickly.

Barring something unexpectedly great this offseason, I think people should expect rough crowds again next season. It won't be as bad as this season, but it'll take time with the Nationals and Capitals being clearly atop the pecking order. Even if the Redskins have a quick turnaround, I don't think the fanbase gets re-energized by one strong season. I think it takes a couple seasons and an explosion from an exciting player, maybe Haskins, but if the Redskins can throw together a couple back to back winning seasons you'll see fans get fired up in a hurry. That's football for you, it is kind when it is good.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #21: December 30, 2019, 03:06:59 PM »

9-7 would have won the division, fortunately for the redskins the cowboys and giants are just as much of a mess as they are and the eagles are all over the map. 9-7 gets you in the playoffs and if you're consistently in the playoff hunt i think fans will care. they've done a lot of irreparable damage (how many millions of dollars has bruce allen directly cost the team? it's insane) the last 20 years but this is the NFL and the DC media scene will amplify the redskins more than any other team if they are competent and competitive. ron won't change anything in terms of fan support in 2020 but if he strings together some decent years (i think the team talent-wise isn't THAT far away from being OK) then things change

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #22: December 30, 2019, 03:30:06 PM »

The Redskins were 6-3 last season with Alex Smith at QB. They floated around .500 the few seasons before. Competent coaching and a good offseason could have this team around .500 pretty quickly.

Barring something unexpectedly great this offseason, I think people should expect rough crowds again next season. It won't be as bad as this season, but it'll take time with the Nationals and Capitals being clearly atop the pecking order. Even if the Redskins have a quick turnaround, I don't think the fanbase gets re-energized by one strong season. I think it takes a couple seasons and an explosion from an exciting player, maybe Haskins, but if the Redskins can throw together a couple back to back winning seasons you'll see fans get fired up in a hurry. That's football for you, it is kind when it is good.

what makes you think in won't be as bad as this season? Do you think people who gave up tickets are going to come back because of Riverboat Ron?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: December 30, 2019, 03:31:34 PM »
and the DC media scene will amplify the redskins more than any other team if they are competent and competitive.

local media has been trying to get people to buy in for years, the opposite has been happening

Offline Nats Diamond

« Reply #24: December 30, 2019, 04:05:22 PM »

Bingo.  Snyder has used up any good will with the fanbase so it will take multiple and consecutive winning seasons to win our favor back.  He's pulled this before with an occasional playoff berth, often without a win. 

At this point there has to be real signs that actual football people are running the show and he is not interfering and sabotaging the coaches behind the scenes.  Until then its the same hat in a different colour.