Author Topic: Washington [Insert Name Here for an NFL team] Thread (2020)  (Read 16608 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Eagles offensive line is putrid. Aaron Donald is going to run wild next week. He may have 8 sacks by himself.
If Lane Johnson is back that will help.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Why does this team not have a name yet?
Rushing a name change before the season would have been a huge mistake. This was least bad option, and honestly I'm fine with it at moment. Love the uniforms. I don't think it is a zero possibility they keep it just to be different.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
You may want to control any excitement about the defense.  They played against an offensive line with two rookie starters and a 38 year old at left tackle.  I’m all in on the Eagles tanking and drafting Lawrence. 
I don't think we're going to have 8 sacks a game, but there is a ton of talent upfront, they added a generational talent, and now have an upgraded scheme. My concern on defense is the secondary is rough and I'm not sure Fuller can cover that. I'm also getting a bit numb to the fact we are 13 years past the death of Sean Taylor and at no point since have we ever fielded two NFL average safeties at one time. Landon Collins follows a storied run starting from LaRon Landy of the Redskins having one "average, maybe above average some days" in the box safety while the other position is a complete tirefire of guys who should be special teams gunners or retired.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Defense is good enough to win some games, but Haskins will lose us an equal amount of games
I think Haskins was fine yesterday. The Eagles dropped an interception, but every game in the NFL defenses drop INT's both way.

Haskins looked better physically and showed enough legs to make the defense respect that, but he has to have the worst supporting cast on offense in the NFL. The O-Line will be average if everything breaks for the best. I thought Dontrelle Inman was out of the NFL after a couple good seasons for the Chargers a few years back, and I legit didn't realize Logan Thomas was the Logan Thomas from VTech until yesterday. The backs are pretty boring, but I'm glad they're rolling the dice with a few backs in their 20's instead of having Adrian Peterson grind out a solid season that wouldn't make a huge difference.

I'd like to see his completion percentage higher, but defenses know right now the Redskins don't have anyone who will beat them over the top other than McLaurin and defenses are smart enough to know when McKissic or Gibson is at WR then right now they can sit short routes.

I think the Redskins are heading to at best 6 or 7 wins unless someone Sims or Inman starts producing at the second WR spot and the offense gets something going. But that is pie in the sky. All I want this season is Haskins to show enough that he earns the right to start next year with some free agent help at the skill positions.

Offline 1995hoo

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Division leader

Offline 1995hoo

WTOP just reported the Redskins are benching Haskins in favor of Kyle Allen. That didn't take long.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Haskins benched, per espn.com.   Makes it look like that change was coming anyway, when he completes over 70% of his passes for 314 yards and no picks with a receiving corps that is McLaurin and not much else.    Yeah, they lost, but Haskins didn't give up 31.   I don't think he's especially good, but is Kyle Allen really that much of an upgrade?  Rivera's reactions the past couple weeks seems to suggest there's a locker room issue, that the players were pushing for the change.

I could see this making sense as a stage of the inevitable Alex Smith Redemption Tour to distract from another terrible season, but it also means you're going to end up trading Haskins for a 7th round pick after this year for someone to play the Josh Rosen lottery with him. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
So business as usual for DC. My, that "change" was short lived

Offline 1995hoo

I didn't see any of this week's game because we were driving back from Ohio, but I heard Haskins failed what Rivera called a "red zone pop quiz"—they had fourth down in the red zone and Haskins didn't throw the ball anywhere near the end zone, and Rivera rightly noted that the ball has to be thrown either into the end zone or very close to the goal line. There was an article somewhere, I think in the Post because I don't think I read anything about the Redskins on the Athletic this week, saying statistical analysis shows that Haskins has been slow to pick up some of the fundamentals. "Statistical analysis" suggests it was probably Neil Greenberg for the Post.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
WTOP just reported the Redskins ?????? are benching Haskins in favor of Kyle Allen. That didn't take long.

Offline 1995hoo

^^^^

I've decided to refer to every NFL team as the "[City or other geographical term] Football Team" except for the Washington Redskins, basically just to bug some people.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
WTOP just reported the Redskins are benching Haskins in favor of Kyle Allen. That didn't take long.

What's going on with Alex Smith?

Just saw that Allen will be the 30th starting QB since Mark Rypien

Offline Elvir Ovcina

What's going on with Alex Smith?

Just saw that Allen will be the 30th starting QB since Mark Rypien

Wow, there's a trivia question with a pathetic list of answers. 

Off the top of my head and in no order at all - Schuler, Frerotte, John Friesz, McNabb, Ramsey, Campbell, Brunell, Mark freaking Sanchez, Josh Johnson, Alex Smith, McCoy, I think Jeff Hostetler might have been there somewhere, Danny Wuerffel, Shane Matthews, John Beck, Rex Grossman, RGIII, Cousins... well, that's more than half, assuming I'm right with all of them.  Edit:  Trent Green and Brad Johnson were obvious misses...um, did Tony Banks ever start?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Elvir, I am so sorry. As a Pats fan, I think I had over tge same period, Hugh Millen, Scott Zolak, Drew Bledsoe, Tom Brady, Matt Cassell, Jimmy Garopolo, Jacoby Brissett, Cam Newton, and Brian Hoyer. I forget if Vinnie Testaverde got a start. Pretty sure Flutie didn't.  :lmao:

Offline 1995hoo

Let’s see.... (yeah, I had played a Sporcle game about Redskins QBs and so remember some of the more obscure names):

Mark Rypien
Cary Conklin
Rich Gannon
John Friesz
Heath Shuler
Gus Frerotte
Jeff Hostetler
Trent Green
Brad Johnson
Jeff George
Tony Banks (finished the season after George laid an egg)
Shane Matthews
Danny Wuerffel
Patrick Ramsey
Tim Hasselbeck
Mark Brunell
Jason Campbell
Todd Collins
Donovan McNabb
Rex Grossman
John Beck
Robert Griffin
Kirk Cousins
Colt McCoy
Alex Smith
Josh Johnson
Mark Sanchez
Case Keenum
Dwayne Haskins

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Elvir, I am so sorry. As a Pats fan, I think I had over tge same period, Hugh Millen, Scott Zolak, Drew Bledsoe, Tom Brady, Matt Cassell, Jimmy Garopolo, Jacoby Brissett, Cam Newton, and Brian Hoyer. I forget if Vinnie Testaverde got a start. Pretty sure Flutie didn't.  :lmao:

I'm not even a fan of the unnamed team.  I just have them foisted at me constantly!  Did Rohan Davey ever get a start?  He was my favorite Pats QB ever.  Dude looked like he'd switched places with the center.

Let’s see.... (yeah, I had played a Sporcle game about Redskins QBs and so remember some of the more obscure names):

Mark Rypien
Cary Conklin
Rich Gannon
John Friesz
Heath Shuler
Gus Frerotte
Jeff Hostetler
Trent Green
Brad Johnson
Jeff George
Tony Banks (finished the season after George laid an egg)
Shane Matthews
Danny Wuerffel
Patrick Ramsey
Tim Hasselbeck
Mark Brunell
Jason Campbell
Todd Collins
Donovan McNabb
Rex Grossman
John Beck
Robert Griffin
Kirk Cousins
Colt McCoy
Alex Smith
Josh Johnson
Mark Sanchez
Case Keenum
Dwayne Haskins

One of the worst parts about that list is that several guys there were quite good elsewhere after stinking in DC - Green, Johnson, Gannon. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I'm not even a fan of the unnamed team.  I just have them foisted at me constantly!  Did Rohan Davey ever get a start?  He was my favorite Pats QB ever.  Dude looked like he'd switched places with the center.

One of the worst parts about that list is that several guys there were quite good elsewhere after stinking in DC - Green, Johnson, Gannon. 
Good one.  I don't think so.  I also forget who started for Drew his last year with Pete Carroll.  I think he had his finger just about falling off that year.  Michael Bishop was ahead of Brady in 2000 when they carried 4 QBs. 

Offline 1995hoo

I seem to recall Brad Johnson having two pretty good seasons here but leaving because he didn’t want to play for Marty Schottenheimer. Jeff George then played atrociously to start the 2001 season and was released, leaving Tony Banks to start the rest of the games.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Alex Smith enters the game. Unreal.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Alex Smith enters the game. Unreal.
do they play walk up music for new QBs when they enter the game, like relievers?  I'm figuring his would be ZZ Top's "Legs"

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
do they play walk up music for new QBs when they enter the game, like relievers?  I'm figuring his would be ZZ Top's "Legs"

lol. 

Apparently Haskins called in sick with stomach flu, so he's not even at the stadium.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
lol. 

Apparently Haskins called in sick with stomach flu, so he's not even at the stadium.

Does the dude idolize Jamarcus Russell or something?