Author Topic: Washington [Insert Name Here for an NFL team] Thread (2020)  (Read 16226 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Not a single one of my friends of American Indian heritage, including my wife, ever found the Team name or logo (which is totally bad ass, btw) to be offensive.  Just freaking sad and pathetic.

Washington Partisans

Washington Commies

Washington PC Bullcrap

Washington Liberals

Washington Snyders

Washington Red Asses

Washington Cancel Culture

Washington Nasty (my favorite)

I am sure your friends speak for the entire community. And I am sure that you're friends with tons of folks who live on the Res. I mean look at your avatar...
Alcoholism is totally rampant in the Native American population. It's an epidemic. ANd I am positive that you mean it as that the Team sucks so badthat the mascot needs to drink, so no bad intent, but come on....

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
FWIW, National Council of American Indians supported it and has asked Cleveland and Atlanta to step up.

Time to make Barves nationally recognized. They could have a mascot named Ralph the g-d of Porcelain.

Offline NatNasty

You are correct in your assessment of my avatar.  Absolutely no bad intent meant whatsoever.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Alcoholism is totally rampant in the Native American population.

When I read "totally rampant", I anticipated seeing 20% or more...

The rate of Native Americans with an alcohol use disorder (7.1%) is higher than that of the total population (5.4%).

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/alcoholism-treatment/native-americans

Offline HalfSmokes

Probably depends on the source

The 2012-2013 National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions III (NESARC-III) found that 19.2% of Native Americans surveyed had had an alcohol use disorder during the previous twelve months, and 43.4% had had an alcohol use disorder at some time during their lives (compared to 14.0% and 32.6% of whites, respectively).[139] This contrasts sharply with the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health and National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services, which surveyed adolescents and adults receiving treatment and found that 9.7% of Native Americans surveyed had had an alcohol use disorder during the previous twelve months (compared to 6.1% of whites).[140] An analysis of surveys conducted between 2002 and 2016 determined that 34.4% of Native American adults used alcohol in 2016 (down from 44.7% in 2002), 21.6% engaged in binge drinking and 7.6% described their alcohol use as "heavy."[141]

At least one recent study refutes the belief that Native Americans drink more than Caucasian Americans. Analysis of data from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) from 2009 to 2013 revealed that Native Americans compared to whites had lower or comparable rates across the range of alcohol measures examined. The survey included responses from 171,858 whites compared to 4,201 Native Americans. The majority (59.9%) of Native Americans abstained from drinking alcohol, whereas less than half (43.1%) of the white population surveyed abstained. Approximately 14.5% of Native Americans were light/moderate-only drinkers, versus 32.7% of whites. Native American and white binge drinking (5+ drinks on an occasion 1–4 days during the past month) estimates were similar: 17.3% and 16.7%, respectively. The two populations' heavy drinking (5+ drinks on an occasion 5+ days in the past month) estimates were also similar: 8.3% and 7.5%, respectively.[142]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_and_Native_Americans

Offline NatNasty

When I read "totally rampant", I anticipated seeing 20% or more...

The rate of Native Americans with an alcohol use disorder (7.1%) is higher than that of the total population (5.4%).

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/alcoholism-treatment/native-americans

Both those numbers seem low to me.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
The Washington Crabs

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Nike did. FedEx did. Money talks.

Not a single one of my friends of American Indian heritage, including my wife, ever found the Team name or logo (which is totally bad ass, btw) to be offensive.  Just freaking sad and pathetic.

Washington Partisans

Washington Commies

Washington PC Bullcrap

Washington Liberals

Washington Snyders

Washington Red Asses

Offline Natsinpwc

Washington Partisans

Washington Commies

Washington PC Bullcrap

Washington Liberals

Washington Snyders

Washington Red Asses

Do you think it’s possible they didn’t like the name but didn’t want to tell you that to avoid a possible verbal confrontation? 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Do you think it’s possible they didn’t like the name but didn’t want to tell you that to avoid a possible verbal confrontation?

Have you met his wife? Not her style.

Offline Natsinpwc

Have you met his wife? Not her style.
I meant more his other friends.  Asians I know are sometimes that way.  They are not always comfortable voicing their personal opinions out loud. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Nike did. FedEx did. Money talks.

Nike has no business lecturing anyone about social (in)justice - not as long as they keep doing most (if not all) of their manufacturing in Third World sweatshops.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
The Capital Cave ins

Some serious ideas:
Capital Code Talkers - keeps with the Native American thing if wanted. - Alternate Washington Windtalkers - same sort of idea except it was the movie about the Code Talkers. I had posted that on my Facebook feed but later noticed I was using the movie title instead of the actual name.

Just keep the "Skins" with no color or race attached. As in "Shirts and Skins" Not sure what the logo would be.

Offline HalfSmokes

just get rid of the Indian thing- Dan isn't deft enough to pull it off without seeming either defiant or patronizing. They seem set to pick a generic team name and that'll probably be fine. Ideally they'd get creative and find some name with ties to Washington, but with Snyder and Rivera making the decisions, that isn't happening so we'll get some name shared by dozens of high schools that likewise picked a random fierce sounding animal 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Some guy in Arlington trademarked just about every new name under discussion.

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/1282669101597503495?s=20

While Red Wolves seems to be the favorite, this notes that the team hasn't been in contact with either Arkansas State or the Chattanooga USL franchise who are both currently using the Red Wolves name:
https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-east/washington-redskins/washington-red-wolves-nfl-insider-has-telling-update

Offline HalfSmokes

Some guy in Arlington trademarked just about every new name under discussion.

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/1282669101597503495?s=20

While Red Wolves seems to be the favorite, this notes that the team hasn't been in contact with either Arkansas State or the Chattanooga USL franchise who are both currently using the Red Wolves name:
https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-east/washington-redskins/washington-red-wolves-nfl-insider-has-telling-update

they're about to find out a lot about intent to use and fraud on the office - assuming Snyder presses the issue

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Nike has no business lecturing anyone about social (in)justice - not as long as they keep doing most (if not all) of their manufacturing in Third World sweatshops.
They're not being racist. They're just being capitalist. It's totally different, man.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
they're about to find out a lot about intent to use and fraud on the office - assuming Snyder presses the issue
The guy started a business that sells tshirts and mugs with the logos on it. Legally, he's covered enough to force Snyder to either pay a good chunk of money for the trademark, or pay a good chunk to lawyers.

I'm assuming Snyder will go with the lawyers.

Offline HalfSmokes

The guy started a business that sells tshirts and mugs with the logos on it. Legally, he's covered enough to force Snyder to either pay a good chunk of money for the trademark, or pay a good chunk to lawyers.

not unless he's founding a football league

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4802:i63gnn.2.1

Offline 1995hoo

It's questionable whether just selling t-shirts and mugs is enough. The size of his market is one of many considerations.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the process takes until 2021, but I also wouldn't be surprised if that winds up not being a big deal because the NFL winds up not playing this fall.

Offline HalfSmokes

Any bets on the post story? A bunch of executive exits and a white collar defense attorney brought in to ‘review the culture’