Author Topic: Washington [Insert Name Here for an NFL team] Thread (2020)  (Read 16756 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Washington Redskins Thread (2020)
« Reply #125: July 02, 2020, 06:51:43 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29401445/stadium-sponsor-fedex-asks-redskins-change-nickname

Be nice if they could just request the owner to sell.

They could call themselves the Washington Sellouts.  Be the only way they'd have a sellout at FedEx Field while Snyder owns the franchise...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #126: July 02, 2020, 06:56:19 PM »
They could call themselves the Washington Sellouts.  Be the only way they'd have a sellout at FedEx Field while Snyder owns the franchise...

:rimshot:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #127: July 02, 2020, 07:48:25 PM »
I vote for the devils

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #129: July 03, 2020, 09:49:12 AM »
Nike has pulled Redskins apparel from its online store.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29396653/report-investors-call-nike-fedex-pepsico-cut-ties-redskins-name

Thing is, there will probably be more Native Americans protesting if Danny does change the name. It's not at all clear that more are offended by it than are proud of it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #130: July 03, 2020, 09:49:45 AM »
Thing is, there will probably be more Native Americans protesting if Danny does change the name. It's not at all clear that more are offended by it than are proud of it.

I guess the financial attack gives him cover.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #131: July 03, 2020, 10:00:48 AM »
Nike has pulled Redskins apparel from its online store.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29396653/report-investors-call-nike-fedex-pepsico-cut-ties-redskins-name

Guess Kaepernick won’t be walking through that door

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #133: July 03, 2020, 10:40:28 AM »

I guess the financial attack gives him cover.
No one will protest changing the name other than long term fans of the team.   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #134: July 03, 2020, 11:20:11 AM »

with the way the last 20 years have gone, I can't image they've made any new fans- what do they have besides long term fans at this point?

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #135: July 03, 2020, 11:54:43 AM »
foreskins all the way (I'd also be cool with contractors or beaurocrats)

Nah, my understanding is that name didn’t make the cut.

:couch:

Online Five Banners

« Reply #137: July 03, 2020, 12:36:53 PM »

Agreed, losing the term “Washington” with its troubled history has been a universal no-brainer for years.

But as for the other, some might protest — but are unlikely to be heard:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9689220/redskins-name-change-not-easy-sounds

“I definitely don't know how I'll tell the athletes at Wellpinit (Wash.) High School -- where the student body is 91.2 percent Native American -- that the "Redskins" name they wear proudly across their chests is insulting them. Because they have no idea.

"I've talked to our students, our parents and our community about this and nobody finds any offense at all in it," says Tim Ames, the superintendent of Wellpinit schools. "'Redskins' is not an insult to our kids. 'Wagon burners' is an insult. 'Prairie n-----s' is an insult. Those are very upsetting to our kids. But 'Redskins' is an honorable name we wear with pride. … In fact, I'd like to see somebody come up here and try to change it." Boy, you try to help some people …

“And it's not going to be easy telling the Kingston (Okla.) High School (57.7 percent Native American) Redskins that the name they've worn on their uniforms for 104 years has been a joke on them this whole time. Because they wear it with honor.

"We have two great tribes here," says Kingston assistant school superintendent Ron Whipkey, "the Chicasaw and the Choctaw. And not one member of those tribes has ever come to me or our school with a complaint. It is a prideful thing to them."

"It's a name that honors the people," says Kingston English teacher Brett Hayes, who is Choctaw. "The word 'Oklahoma' itself is Choctaw for 'red people.' The students here don't want it changed. To them, it seems like it's just people who have no connection with the Native American culture, people out there trying to draw attention to themselves.

"My kids are really afraid we're going to lose the Redskin name. They say to me, 'They're not going to take it from us, are they, Dad?'"

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138: July 03, 2020, 12:39:47 PM »
https://apple.news/ATmrp51GlQ6iBchCsXHDwTQ

The move sets the stage to resolve one of sports’ most prominent battles over offensive team names. Washington will likely be renamed before the 2020 season begins, two people familiar with the matter said.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #139: July 03, 2020, 12:49:51 PM »
Agreed, losing the term “Washington” with its troubled history has been a universal no-brainer for years.

But as for the other, some might protest — but are unlikely to be heard:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9689220/redskins-name-change-not-easy-sounds

“I definitely don't know how I'll tell the athletes at Wellpinit (Wash.) High School -- where the student body is 91.2 percent Native American -- that the "Redskins" name they wear proudly across their chests is insulting them. Because they have no idea.

"I've talked to our students, our parents and our community about this and nobody finds any offense at all in it," says Tim Ames, the superintendent of Wellpinit schools. "'Redskins' is not an insult to our kids. 'Wagon burners' is an insult. 'Prairie n-----s' is an insult. Those are very upsetting to our kids. But 'Redskins' is an honorable name we wear with pride. … In fact, I'd like to see somebody come up here and try to change it." Boy, you try to help some people …

“And it's not going to be easy telling the Kingston (Okla.) High School (57.7 percent Native American) Redskins that the name they've worn on their uniforms for 104 years has been a joke on them this whole time. Because they wear it with honor.

"We have two great tribes here," says Kingston assistant school superintendent Ron Whipkey, "the Chicasaw and the Choctaw. And not one member of those tribes has ever come to me or our school with a complaint. It is a prideful thing to them."

"It's a name that honors the people," says Kingston English teacher Brett Hayes, who is Choctaw. "The word 'Oklahoma' itself is Choctaw for 'red people.' The students here don't want it changed. To them, it seems like it's just people who have no connection with the Native American culture, people out there trying to draw attention to themselves.

"My kids are really afraid we're going to lose the Redskin name. They say to me, 'They're not going to take it from us, are they, Dad?'"

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/02/04/native-mascots-survey/

Tomahawk chop is next to go. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #140: July 03, 2020, 01:26:35 PM »
Washington Sentinels with Keanu Reeves as the GM.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #141: July 03, 2020, 01:43:59 PM »
Even Tom Cruise has chosen to distance himself from Snyder...says the relationship was giving Scientology a bad reputation...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #142: July 03, 2020, 03:39:23 PM »
Anacostia Anarchists!  That would make MDS so happy. 

Potomac Snakeheads!  Their mean and ugly and eat things, and if they lose, people eat them up.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #143: July 03, 2020, 03:43:15 PM »
 :hysterical:
Even Tom Cruise has chosen to distance himself from Snyder...says the relationship was giving Scientology a bad reputation...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144: July 03, 2020, 03:45:18 PM »

funny you say that.  That was the issue for the University of North Dakota.  I think they had the consent of almost all of the Lakota bands that they could keep the Fighting Souix name.  It's the classic big fishin a small pond, but North Dakota is bigger in college hockey nationally than FSU is in football. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #145: July 03, 2020, 05:11:43 PM »
funny you say that.  That was the issue for the University of North Dakota.  I think they had the consent of almost all of the Lakota bands that they could keep the Fighting Souix name.  It's the classic big fishin a small pond, but North Dakota is bigger in college hockey nationally than FSU is in football.
Fighting Sioux seems better than Redskins.  Just go back to the original name. Braves.  :hysterical:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #146: July 03, 2020, 07:06:23 PM »
 :mg:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147: July 03, 2020, 07:31:05 PM »

sounds like somebody was making a mountain out of a mohel.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #148: July 04, 2020, 09:17:49 AM »
Washington Redtails, in honor of the Tuskegee Airmen seems to have merit

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #149: July 04, 2020, 09:23:45 AM »
No local connection. If they want to be inclusive and local- buy the greys from whoever owns the rights