Author Topic: Washington [Insert Name Here for an NFL team] Thread (2020)  (Read 16229 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Washington Redskins Thread (2020)
« Reply #50: January 02, 2020, 04:59:56 PM »
Basically,  yes. Neither Rivera nor Schafer have final decision making power. Rivera says that's when ownership will get involved

great, so he finally fired vinny to appease fans, then finally fired Allen to appease fans. Now that he won't fire himself, good luck selling hope when the team still sucks in 5 years

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #51: January 02, 2020, 05:44:07 PM »
Well, that presser, and Chad Dukes follow up interview point out two things:

• Nothing has changed with Dan Snyder.
  • Nothing ever will change with Dan Snyder.

Oh, and Rivera was more desperate for a job than Snyder was chastened by his 20+ years of failure.
Rivera would have been a top choice in New York or Dallas. Let's not act like he came to DC due to lack of options.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #52: January 02, 2020, 05:47:59 PM »
Surprised Rivera just didn’t wait for the Giants job as he apparently had some connection to their GM. I guess money talks and that they will give him some of the GM authority. Which will creat conflicts when they hire a GM. Also he got 5 years which is as good as it gets.
I think Dan Snyder, for all the hate he gets, is a businessman and a very good salesman. He spent a month working on Rivera and selling him on the job. He was in on him early and proved his seriousness by canning Bruce Allen. If it was just a money thing, both Jimmy Haslam and Jerry Jones would have written every bit as big a check.

I don't think if Jay Gruden is fired yesterday that Snyder could have sold Ron Rivera in short notice on DC over Dallas or New York. Dan Snyder in hindsight may have handled this process right. Let's hope he continues making professional moves. I think this past season's humiliation may have woken him up.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #53: January 02, 2020, 05:50:08 PM »
great, so he finally fired vinny to appease fans, then finally fired Allen to appease fans. Now that he won't fire himself, good luck selling hope when the team still sucks in 5 years
I think any serious person listening to that press conference realizes Ron Rivera is the new alpha in the organization. It sounds better to say, "We'll ask the owner" than "I'll tell our GM to pound sand and do as I say."

An owner should have say so in the organization on major decisions. They should trust football people and engage rarely, but they're the one writing the checks and who the buck ultimately stops with.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #54: January 02, 2020, 06:11:26 PM »
I think Dan Snyder, for all the hate he gets, is a businessman and a very good salesman. He spent a month working on Rivera and selling him on the job. He was in on him early and proved his seriousness by canning Bruce Allen. If it was just a money thing, both Jimmy Haslam and Jerry Jones would have written every bit as big a check.

I don't think if Jay Gruden is fired yesterday that Snyder could have sold Ron Rivera in short notice on DC over Dallas or New York. Dan Snyder in hindsight may have handled this process right. Let's hope he continues making professional moves. I think this past season's humiliation may have woken him up.
He is just like the moron who runs the Orioles except he has more money.  He’s basically letting a guy who has always been a coach and never worked in a front office be the de facto GM. Maybe that will work but I don’t think the odds were good. Remember how excited everyone was when he hired the alcoholic a few years ago? What does it tell you when the only guys who will agree to be a GM are an alcoholic who has not other job offers and a coach who wants more control?  You can tell his main advisor is Jerruh Jones who runs his team in the same fashion.

As far as salesman he has much work to do with the fans. As others have noted he has alienated whole generations.

I dont have sympathy for Bruce Allen but it is low class to offer a guy a different job and then renig when there is push back from the fans. I guess birds of a feather flock together.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #55: January 02, 2020, 07:21:58 PM »
I think any serious person listening to that press conference realizes Ron Rivera is the new alpha in the organization. It sounds better to say, "We'll ask the owner" than "I'll tell our GM to pound sand and do as I say."

An owner should have say so in the organization on major decisions. They should trust football people and engage rarely, but they're the one writing the checks and who the buck ultimately stops with.

The last alpha coach that we had came here with two rings- that one didn’t end well. As long as Snyder is here, there is no reason to assume different

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #56: January 02, 2020, 10:28:17 PM »

That wasnt the read I got at all.

Rivera doesnt want to be in charge of personnel decisions. Doug Williams is a bafoon and Eric Schaffer is a lawyer. They arent making personal decisions that matter.

So unless Snyder hires a legit GM, hes going to pull a Jerry Jones.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #57: January 02, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »
Rivera's wife Stephanie was an assistant coach with the Mystics back in 2000. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #58: January 02, 2020, 11:28:28 PM »

Rivera doesnt want to be in charge of personnel decisions. Doug Williams is a bafoon and Eric Schaffer is a lawyer. They arent making personal decisions that matter.

Jerry Jones put together a hell of a roster.

If Dan Snyder can GM as well as him, I'll take it. Ron Rivera on his worst day is a better coach than Jason Garrett on his best.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #59: January 02, 2020, 11:56:08 PM »
Jerry Jones put together a hell of a roster.

If Dan Snyder can GM as well as him, I'll take it. Ron Rivera on his worst day is a better coach than Jason Garrett on his best.
Dallas is overrated. Prescott is overrated. Tired about hearing how talented they are. It’s reminiscent of the Redskins in the late 1990s and 2000s. It’s always the coach’s fault.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #60: January 03, 2020, 05:34:52 PM »

Maybe Scotty will come back. :couch:

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #61: January 04, 2020, 07:33:37 PM »
An owner should have say so in the organization on major decisions.

So long as Snyder has a say in any decisions this team is screwed.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #62: January 06, 2020, 04:28:25 PM »
Who would have been the better choice for the Redskins , Rivera or McCarthy ? Or was McCarthy already in the Cowboys camp several weeks ago?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #63: January 06, 2020, 04:31:17 PM »
Who would have been the better choice for the Redskins , Rivera or McCarthy ? Or was McCarthy already in the Cowboys camp several weeks ago?
No. McCarthy has been flirting with Carolina.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #64: January 06, 2020, 04:40:51 PM »

Of the two, I think the redskins got the better hire

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #65: January 06, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »
Rivera needs to keep him busy doing crap that doesn't matter. Maybe he can run the non-football ops. It's already bankrupt, so that's not an issue...

So long as Snyder has a say in any decisions this team is screwed.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #68: February 03, 2020, 10:35:01 AM »
:shock:

A lot of sports talk guys were hinting at this during his recovery without getting into details.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #70: March 11, 2020, 09:24:35 AM »

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #71: March 11, 2020, 09:59:28 AM »
i'm not sure i can think of a worse location - https://thefandc.radio.com/dan-snyder-eyeing-springfield-for-redskins-stadium
Remember when Jack Kent Cooke wanted to change the name of the current stadium location to “RALJON” in honor of his sons? Maybe Danny can buy Springfield and call it DANNY TOWN.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #72: March 11, 2020, 10:04:53 AM »
i'm not sure i can think of a worse location - https://thefandc.radio.com/dan-snyder-eyeing-springfield-for-redskins-stadium

Potentially as well thought out as the undersized roofless and moat-riific design for years past

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #73: April 24, 2020, 06:27:01 PM »
Rivera and staff now have a D Line with four young first rounders, Matt Ioannidis, and old Kerrigan.

Time to see if Bruce Allen overdrafted or they were terribly coached. Leaning and hoping toward the latter. The secondary is a disaster and, barring this pass rush becoming elite, things could get ugly.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #74: April 24, 2020, 07:11:29 PM »
Rivera and staff now have a D Line with four young first rounders, Matt Ioannidis, and old Kerrigan.

Time to see if Bruce Allen overdrafted or they were terribly coached. Leaning and hoping toward the latter. The secondary is a disaster and, barring this pass rush becoming elite, things could get ugly.

They should have traded down, need multiple solid players.  Sure, we hope he's enough of a pass-rush beast that it improves the secondary, which it should, but enough?