Author Topic: Washington [Insert Name Here for an NFL team] Thread (2020)  (Read 16217 times)

Offline UMDNats

Re: Washington Redskins Thread (2020)
« Reply #25: December 30, 2019, 05:41:11 PM »
local media has been trying to get people to buy in for years, the opposite has been happening

Well yeah, cause the team has been a complete joke and everyone knew with Bruce in charge there was no hope. Plus the caps and nats were winning titles.

I think with both teams already having peaked (in theory) you could see a consistent division contender become popular again. However, I do not think the team will ever get back to the days of being the far and away #1 team in DC. Too many kids are caps and nats first now. Also, LOL WIZARDS

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #26: December 30, 2019, 06:33:09 PM »
Well yeah, cause the team has been a complete joke and everyone knew with Bruce in charge there was no hope. Plus the caps and nats were winning titles.

I think with both teams already having peaked (in theory) you could see a consistent division contender become popular again. However, I do not think the team will ever get back to the days of being the far and away #1 team in DC. Too many kids are caps and nats first now. Also, LOL WIZARDS

As someone who realized how nice Sundays in fall are, I don’t think I’m coming back. I guess the questions are how bad they alienated fans and whether or not Middle/elementary school kids now who grew up not caring (I’d you don’t believe this is the case, walk around any suburban neighborhood and count hats or jerseys- redskins will be barely represented if at all) can be made to care. I’m skeptical about either happening

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #27: December 31, 2019, 10:29:04 AM »
Bruce Allen will not be missed, but I'd still hold off on popping too many champagne/cava/asti corks for awhile...Daniel Snyder is still the owner.

I have a niece within whose lifetime the Redskins have now played 27 complete seasons (she turns 27 this coming April). In those 27 seasons the Redskins have qualified for the playoffs only 5 times and have never advanced past the divisional round of the playoffs. My niece, who earned her master's degree at Penn State, is now an Eagles supporter...can anyone really blame her after all the muddle and mediocrity the Redskins have produced in her lifetime? The Redskins have alienated practically an entire generation.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #28: December 31, 2019, 11:29:06 AM »
Bruce Allen will not be missed, but I'd still hold off on popping too many champagne/cava/asti corks for awhile...Daniel Snyder is still the owner.

I have a niece within whose lifetime the Redskins have now played 27 complete seasons (she turns 27 this coming April). In those 27 seasons the Redskins have qualified for the playoffs only 5 times and have never advanced past the divisional round of the playoffs. My niece, who earned her master's degree at Penn State, is now an Eagles supporter...can anyone really blame her after all the muddle and mediocrity the Redskins have produced in her lifetime? The Redskins have alienated practically an entire generation.

Should have been a Steelers fan.

Also, of those five playoff appearances... two were under Gibbs, and two were under McGloughan, I think.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #29: December 31, 2019, 11:32:55 AM »
This. I don't think that the generational issue ever occurred to those bozos.

As someone who realized how nice Sundays in fall are, I don’t think I’m coming back. I guess the questions are how bad they alienated fans and whether or not Middle/elementary school kids now who grew up not caring (I’d you don’t believe this is the case, walk around any suburban neighborhood and count hats or jerseys- redskins will be barely represented if at all) can be made to care. I’m skeptical about either happening

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #30: December 31, 2019, 11:36:32 AM »

And now, Ravens.  :?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #31: December 31, 2019, 12:27:06 PM »
Jack Del Rio.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #32: January 01, 2020, 09:08:23 AM »
Rivera and Del Rio hired per Shefter.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #33: January 01, 2020, 10:16:20 AM »
Del Rio is a great DC hire.

I'm glad Kevin O'Connell is being interviewed and not automatically retained. I'd like him back, but it would have smelled weird had he been immediately announced as returning. I think he is talented but certainly not irreplaceable.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #34: January 01, 2020, 11:29:12 AM »
Del Rio is a great DC hire.

I'm glad Kevin O'Connell is being interviewed and not automatically retained. I'd like him back, but it would have smelled weird had he been immediately announced as returning. I think he is talented but certainly not irreplaceable.
Good to have an experienced head coach there for when Rivera gets fired.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #35: January 01, 2020, 12:54:54 PM »
Good to have an experienced head coach there for when Rivera gets fired.
Because that worked so well with Callahan

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #36: January 01, 2020, 03:48:12 PM »
Because that worked so well with Callahan
It’s what they do.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #37: January 01, 2020, 08:34:59 PM »
Isn’t Rivera a pretty mediocre coach who’s only done really well when Cam has done really well? I hope he’s better than I’m expecting for all you skins fans.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #38: January 01, 2020, 08:59:27 PM »
He seems like generic tough guy defensive coach- they could have done worse. Hopefully he gets a creative OC and gives them autonomy

Online Slateman

« Reply #39: January 01, 2020, 09:13:15 PM »
I mean, how many good coaches are there with no quarterback?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #40: January 01, 2020, 09:38:22 PM »
Isn’t Rivera a pretty mediocre coach who’s only done really well when Cam has done really well? I hope he’s better than I’m expecting for all you skins fans.
He’s no Jason Garret.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #41: January 02, 2020, 06:44:08 AM »

[emphasis added]

I can go for days, even weeks on end without seeing anyone in Redskins gear (and I still commute to work weekdays on Metrorail/bus).

It is a phenomenon I have never seen before, in over half a century of following sports - a fandom once famous for its loyalty (at least as expressed through season ticket purchases), now evaporating right before our eyes.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #42: January 02, 2020, 06:47:23 AM »
I can go for days, even weeks on end without seeing anyone in Redskins gear (and I still commute to work weekdays on Metrorail/bus).

It is a phenomenon I have never seen before, in over half a century of following sports - a fandom once famous for its loyalty (at least as expressed through season ticket purchases), now evaporating right before our eyes.

haloween always shocks me, plenty of Nats and Capitals, even some DC united and Wizards (two Washington Spirit this year). A bunch of generic football players or random teams, no redskin tricker treaters (no just coming to our house, we go to Mt Vernon and our kids' school has a party that several hundred kids show up to in costume)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #43: January 02, 2020, 03:46:55 PM »
Well, that presser, and Chad Dukes follow up interview point out two things:

• Nothing has changed with Dan Snyder.
  • Nothing ever will change with Dan Snyder.

Oh, and Rivera was more desperate for a job than Snyder was chastened by his 20+ years of failure.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #44: January 02, 2020, 03:55:05 PM »

Oh, and Rivera was more desperate for a job than Snyder was chastened by his 20+ years of failure.

Is Danny the GM now?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #45: January 02, 2020, 04:37:03 PM »

Surprised Rivera just didn’t wait for the Giants job as he apparently had some connection to their GM. I guess money talks and that they will give him some of the GM authority. Which will creat conflicts when they hire a GM. Also he got 5 years which is as good as it gets.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #46: January 02, 2020, 04:38:15 PM »
Surprised Rivera just didn’t wait for the Giants job as he apparently had some connection to their GM. I guess money talks and that they will give him some of the GM authority. Which will creat conflicts when they hire a GM. Also he got 5 years which is as good as it gets.

I buy into the theory that guys like him (retread old defensive coach) are not in demand and he took the first opening he could so that he didn't end up on the outside looking in

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #47: January 02, 2020, 04:48:53 PM »
I like Rivera, so I'd use a more flattering description, but you're right: of the open coaching jobs, this might be the only organization that would give him a hard look.

I buy into the theory that guys like him (retread old defensive coach) are not in demand and he took the first opening he could so that he didn't end up on the outside looking in

Online Slateman

« Reply #48: January 02, 2020, 04:49:18 PM »
Is Danny the GM now?
Basically,  yes. Neither Rivera nor Schafer have final decision making power. Rivera says that's when ownership will get involved

Online Slateman

« Reply #49: January 02, 2020, 04:49:47 PM »
I like Rivera, so I'd use a more flattering description, but you're right: of the open coaching jobs, this might be the only organization that would give him a hard look.

I think Cleveland would have locked him up in a second.